Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Kerry

Options
  • 03-01-2018 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Looking for suggestions and opinions on best parts of Kerry to move to? I am familiar with Dingle, having attended the [font=arial, sans-serif]Gaeltacht some years ago  and my father was born in [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Cahirciveen[/font][font=arial, sans-serif].  We like a feeling of space as we have large dogs, lovely scenery, friendly environment,  will be working from home, so commuting won't be necessary, children have grown up and flown the nest so time for a new beginning hopefully in father's  homeland. Any opinions very much appreciated.[/font]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

Looking for suggestions and opinions on best parts of Kerry to move to? I am familiar with Dingle, having attended the [font=arial, sans-serif]Gaeltacht some years ago  and my father was born in [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]Cahirciveen[/font][font=arial, sans-serif].  We like a feeling of space as we have large dogs, lovely scenery, friendly environment,  will be working from home, so commuting won't be necessary, children have grown up and flown the nest so time for a new beginning hopefully in father's  homeland. Any opinions very much appreciated.[/font]

Valentia Island. Close to Cahirciveen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bluebells121

Yes broadband speed is important. Are there any areas to avoid? Thanks for your input.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

I live about 1.5 km from the centre of Caherciveen on the Kells side of the town.
    There is fibre broadband in Caherciveen & even though I live that distance from the town I have 24 Mbps download speed with Vodafone which is the maximum my line can carry.

I have tried to see what other companies offer & it seems the most they will give at my address is 15 Mbps.
    The above speeds are more than enough for all applications.

If you live in an area here which has no broadband or you don't have a land line you can get wireless broadband from this company here.
    I have no connection with the company but know people who use them & they have no problems.
    https://www.ivertecbroadband.ie/index.html

Thank you Amdaley, this is very useful to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

You're somewhat isolated down in Cahersiveen, you could move to mid Kerry area, close to Killarney, Tralee and Dingle. Near the airport, hospital, train stations etc, scenery is very nice etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I live in Milltown,Castlemaine. Im about 22 Km from Killarney and 25 Km from Tralee. Kerry Airport is about 12 Km as well as the train station. Its a very central location. The beaches are only 20 mins away. Broadband speeds vary by the part of the town you live in. NBut anywhere from 7mb to 100mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Exiled1

Kilgarvan. If there is anything you need, the Healy Raes will get it for you!

siblers wrote: »
    You're somewhat isolated down in Cahersiveen, you could move to mid Kerry area, close to Killarney, Tralee and Dingle. Near the airport, hospital, train stations etc, scenery is very nice etc
    Thank you for your reply, and suggestion, will definitely look around there, links to airport, trains would be good. Like the sound of the beautiful scenery. Thanks again.

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Kilgarvan. If there is anything you need, the Healy Raes will get it for you!
    Thank you Exiled, that is really useful to know, will bear that in mind.

pcuser wrote: »
    I live in Milltown,Castlemaine. Im about 22 Km from Killarney and 25 Km from Tralee. Kerry Airport is about 12 Km as well as the train station. Its a very central location. The beaches are only 20 mins away. Broadband speeds vary by the part of the town you live in. NBut anywhere from 7mb to 100mb.
    Thank you will be looking into this as well. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions, cannot tell you how much it is appreciated. Kerry rocks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

@Bluebells121, you lucky thing. I'd move to Kerry in a heartbeat (I'm from/in Limerick) but my other half isn't as keen. Whatever part you end up in I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

@Bluebells121, you lucky thing. I'd move to Kerry in a heartbeat (I'm from/in Limerick) but my other half isn't as keen. Whatever part you end up in I hope you enjoy every minute of it.

I moved from Limerick City to Kerry 9 years ago. It was the best decision we ever made. The schools are much better, there is a lot less drugs, bullying etc. I live is a small town. THe people are much friendlier and look out for each other.

I work in a bar 2 villages away. I got on with one of the farmers that called in for a pint. I now work on his farm part-time as well as the bar. I have made some great friends.

It really would be worth looking in to. With all the tourists around there is always something on throughout the year. If the weather is any way good we hop in the car and head to one of the numerous beaches. We stay away from Ballybunion. Thats only for the people heading down from Limerick for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Originally from Dublin, I live in Kenmare now and can't fault it. I will be leaving it in a box! If you want scenery you have it in spades. Over the Caha pass to Glengarrif in one direction, back through Molls Gap to Killarney, about 35 minutes in the opposite direction and another road takes you to Sneem.

Situated right on Kenmare bay, it's great if you like boating or fishing. I don't know about actual broadband speeds but I have no complaints, and I'm located about 3km outside town. I know there is Wi-Fi everywhere as there are a lot of bars and even more restaurants in town with Wi-Fi on offer.

A very welcoming, friendly community feel and I don't know anyone who has visited and hasn't loved it. In fact, that's how many people have come to finish up living here. I discovered Kenmare in my work as a tour coach driver and in my experience, I'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else to compare in the general Kerry region.

Any questions, just ask.

sogood wrote: »
    Originally from Dublin, I live in Kenmare now and can't fault it. I will be leaving it in a box! If you want scenery you have it in spades. Over the Caha pass to Glengarrif in one direction, back through Molls Gap to Killarney, about 35 minutes in the opposite direction and another road  takes you to Sneem.

Situated right on Kenmare bay, it's great if you like boating or fishing. I don't know about actual broadband speeds but I have no complaints, and I'm located about 3km outside town. I know there is Wi-Fi everywhere as there are a lot of bars and even more restaurants in town with Wi-Fi on offer.

A very welcoming, friendly community feel and I don't know anyone who has visited and hasn't loved it. In fact, that's how many people have come to finish up living here. I discovered Kenmare in my work as a tour coach driver and in my experience, I'd be hard pressed to find anywhere else to compare in the general Kerry region.

Any questions, just ask.
    Checking this out right now, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Didnt see any point in opening a new thread.

Whats Cordal (near Castleisland) like as a place to live?

I know the area reasonably well but only came across it as a place to live this week. I've friends over the road in Currans

TIA

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I wouldn't swap living in Tralee for anywhere else in Kerry! All the facilities on your doorstep, including two major hospitals, something you really don't realise how much of a godsend it is until you find yourself needing them.

We've several beaches within 20 to 30 minutes drive of the town, as well as one of the major mountain ranges in the country just outside town. So it's convenient for all sorts of outdoorsy activity. And it's centrally located within the county.

Also, being within walking/cycling distance of the centre of town so you don't have to hop into the horrid motor every time you need something as little as a pint of milk!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭coleen

Didnt see any point in opening a new thread.

Whats Cordal (near Castleisland) like as a place to live?

I know the area reasonably well but only came across it as a place to live this week. I've friends over the road in Currans

TIA

Cordal is a nice rural area. It has a school pre-school and after school service. Also a pub and a church.
    It has a good community group there also and would be about 25 mins from Tralee. No public transport of course

The answer seems to be Tralee, Cordal, Kenmare/Kilgarvan, mid Kerry/Milltown-Castlemaine or Valentia Island.

So at least you learned that places like Caragh Lake, Slea Head and, say, Muckross or Aghadoe can be taken off your list!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭bog master

OP, if you want any further info on Valentia, ask away or PM me.
    Living on the Island the last 7 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

My aunt is returning to Ireland as her marriage broken up. Looking for somewhere to live in Kerry or west cork . She’s looking for somewhere that in time she can easily commute to Dublin by public transport. She’s looking for rural but not too far from a town. Golf course, beach views and action if she wants. She was suggesting dingle? What about more southern Kerry like Kenmare?

Jack53 wrote: »
    My aunt is returning to Ireland as her marriage broken up. Looking for somewhere to live in Kerry or west cork . She’s looking for somewhere that in time she can easily commute to Dublin by public transport. She’s looking for rural but not too far from a town. Golf course, beach views and action if she wants. She was suggesting dingle? What about more southern Kerry like Kenmare?

Both a very remote if she's looking to commute.
    Maybe try ballybunnion or ballyheigue

Both close enough to tralee, beaches galore and a golf course that even Bill Clinton was happy to play on.
    Its also close enough to public transport and 3 1/2- 4 hours from dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

Spent three brilliant years living in Tralee as I went to the IT down there, I'm originally from Wicklow and have lived in Dublin the last few years.

Still miss tralee if I could get a decent job down there in my area id be packing my bags in the morning!

easily commute to Dublin by public transport. She’s looking for rural but not too far from a town. Golf course, beach views and action if she wants. She was suggesting dingle? What about more southern Kerry like Kenmare?

Easily commute to Dublin automatically rules out Dingle and Kenmare. Prob one bus daily to Tralee/Killarney with their train stations for much of the year.

What is "action if she was wants"?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bluepants

My family is from Abbeydorney, a village just 10 mins outside Tralee, and 10 mins away from Banna beach, one of my favourite beaches in Ireland, so a great location.
    Every summer we go surfing in Castlegregory which is a lovely spot, anywhere along and the drive from tralee to there you'll get fab views, and not so far from dingle, a truly amazing corner of the country.
    I love the peace & tranquillity down there, and friendly people.
    Would live there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so far (I'm a dub) but maybe one day.
    Good luck with your move :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bluepants

Just a suggestion but maybe over the summer you could rent a camper and do a bit of travelling around Kerry, or air b and b, to check out some town/villages and get a feel for the areas/locals, maybe base yourselves out of Tralee or killarney.
    Rememer many places can be v different in the winter tho (and the rain loves kerry) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

Easily commute to Dublin automatically rules out Dingle and Kenmare. Prob one bus daily to Tralee/Killarney with their train stations for much of the year.

I mean to say . Social events . Matches. Cafes restaurants. A community .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

I mean to say . Social events . Matches. Cafes restaurants. A community .

Then your looking at tralee to be honest. Kerry gaa home stadium is there along with a lot of local teams and pitchs if your just a sport lover, plenty of cafes etc and a really good buzz around the rose of tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Kenmare seems to be great small but with a large expat community and beautful scenery. Dingle is similar with good cultural stuff.

I like Tralee, But I was born here. it is a good base for outdoor activities like Sailing hiking, fishing and golf Tralee Golf course is near castlegregory, ballybunion and dooks are withinin driving distance. houses are cheaper than in killarney and kenmare. I agree that it is not as nice as the other towns, It is getting better

Can she sing? KCU are looking for singers and it is a good way to get out of the house in the winter

• Advertisement

bluepants wrote: »
    Just a suggestion but maybe over the summer you could rent a camper and do a bit of travelling around Kerry, or air b and b, to check out some town/villages and get a feel for the areas/locals, maybe base yourselves out of Tralee or killarney.
    Rememer many places can be v different in the winter tho (and the rain loves kerry) :)

Someone has to love it ;)

Advertisement