Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surveillance camera with 12Vdc power supply

Options
  • 03-01-2018 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I need to keep an eye on the spot of the kitchen room where my cat has her dishes. I would like to check if she's eating alright when I'm away from home.
    I'm looking for a good WiFi IP Cam with the following features:
    -Small, white or clear colour, stylish and unobtrusive.
    -Indoor use only.
    -Good image quality even in low light, 1 Mpx is enough.
    -Reliable and stable WiFi connection even through two brick walls, router is 13 metres far.
    -Certified ONVIF standard.
    -12 Vdc supply. I would like to power it from an IR security sensor in the same room, the same corner where cat's dishes are. Low power requirements, I wouldn't like to drain too much current from the same cable that powers the IR sensor.
    -Reasonable price, 100 euro max, possibly less.

Any ideas/suggestions?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

You would be best advised to get a plug type power supply and power your camera from that.
    Forget powering it from your PIR, you will find that the panel which it is connected to is probably only providing 1 amp, your camera on its own could consume half of that power.
    You could damage your control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi kub, thanks for your reply.
    I wouldn't like to run a cable on the walls. I would like to put the camera high in the ceiling corner, or next to it, and the first available mains socket is in the same corner but 30 cm from the floor.
    The idea was to use the 12 Vdc of the PIR sensor, that's why one of the requirements in my list was a low supply current.
    The power supply from the control panel is higher than 1 amp, it should be 5 amp, but the cable that carries the power to the sensor is 0.35 mm2 and is at least 5 metres long.
    I think that a camera with not more than 200-250 mA power requirement should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Hi kub, thanks for your reply.
    I wouldn't like to run a cable on the walls. I would like to put the camera high in the ceiling corner, or next to it, and the first available mains socket is in the same corner but 30 cm from the floor.
    The idea was to use the 12 Vdc of the PIR sensor, that's why one of the requirements in my list was a low supply current.
    The power supply from the control panel is higher than 1 amp, it should be 5 amp, but the cable that carries the power to the sensor is 0.35 mm2 and is at least 5 metres long.
    I think that a camera with not more than 200-250 mA power requirement should do.

If you have spare cores on the cable then you could use a second power supply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Im using something simillar "needs" for my son.

I have a DLink PTZ camera.
    With the PTZ function,you can do so many magic things ! :)
    You can have it with audio enabled or not.Dual way,with good quality.
    Uses 12V via adapter and works wired or wireless.
    Local access only or cloud based login and full remote.

Hi everybody, sorry for long silence.

@altor, no I have no spare cores in the cable. I would have liked to use the same two cores for the PIR and the camera.

@rolion, I had a look at the model you linked, but it says 1.5 A oc current supply, I think it's way too much and I can't really understand why it needs so much current. I have other indoor wireless cameras with lower requirements. Those cameras are PTZ (and too big for my needs) and need about 500-700 mA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I am still thinking about that socket lower down the wall, is there insulated slab on that wall by any chance?

Cables can be fished through insulted slabs, cavity walls etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

kub wrote: »
    I am still thinking about that socket lower down the wall, is there insulated slab on that wall by any chance?

Cables can be fished through insulted slabs, cavity walls etc.

Where I live (Italy) walls are bricks with 1 cm plaster. Cables run into conduits, so they can't be fished through walls. Furthermore, the socket down on the wall is fed from a conduit under the tiled floor. The PIR sensor has a conduit of its own running horizontally 30 cm lower than the ceiling.
    I want you all to know how much I am appreciating your support and attempts to find an alternative solution to my request.

....... wrote: »

I guess it doesn't connect to the network and cannot be accessed from a remote device.
    However it can be interesting for other uses. Could I kindly ask you what model it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Advertisement

Thanks .......
    I will keep an eye on it.
    I'd have liked to thank your post, but something doesn't work, tried on two different PCs.

Advertisement