Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for my Mum

Options
  • 03-01-2018 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

I have discussed applying for carer's allowance while staying with my 92 y.o. Mum with her and she is concerned that I would not be able to handle her ongoing needs as her health deteriorates.
    I already stay with her and do things like light the fire, bring in wood, bring out washing, bins, shopping etc. and I feel that is enough to justify applying for carer's allowance.
    Some of the family feel I would not be the person to care for her as she deteriorates but I am thinking we would need other help later anyway.
    If I am accepted by S/W for Carer's allowance could we apply for a qualified experienced carer to take over if or when her needs become more challenging?
    Hope someone can shed light on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How able is your mother? Can she still get about, dress herself, etc? If she can it seems unlikely that you would get carer's allowance. However the only way to find out is to go and talk to S/W. Unless she has an ongoing illness she may not deteriorate significantly.

The fact that neither she nor your family feel you are the person to look after her is ringing some alarm bells, has anyone suggested any alternatives? You don't even sound confident yourself that you would be able to look after her. Are you working? We really don't have enough information to offer any useful advice, other than talk to S/W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

It's not you that qualify for carers allowance, it's if she needs a carer for things like mobility dressing and personal care and so on if those things aren't a problem for her then it's unlikely she will qualify for one at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Thank you for replies.
    Her abilities vary from time to time. At present, she is capable and can/does dress herself, cook a bit, sometimes drives to mass. Other times she can be unable to do these things for weeks.
    I am thinking that her abilities could diminish rapidly owing to her age and the Carer's application process is slow. I thought it wise to apply before she gets worse.
    I am unemployed and find that caring for her as I do at present would make working full time difficult.
    As I say she is not incapacitated but would not be able to do many small jobs around the house that I do. I am also conscious of security and risk of falling if left alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Thank you for replies.
    Her abilities vary from time to time. At present, she is capable and can/does dress herself, cook a bit, sometimes drives to mass..

Being able to do these things intermittently would make it very unlikely she would get carers allowance. They don't pay out on a what if scenario, especially when you aren't planning on being her long term carer anyway.

Perhaps if things get to a point she needs a carer someone suitable could apply.
    Household jobs for an elderly person aren't generally deemed as being a carer.

Advertisement