Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for short term insurance please

Options
  • 04-01-2018 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

For all the gurus out there:
    My current insurance runs until March. I may be looking at a move back to the UK in April and will most likely take the car with me for a myriad of reasons. I presume I need to renew insurance for a full year and then “cancel” once I’ve officially changed residence, UK plates and new insurance sorted? Is this something I should tell the company upfront (ie, I’m only signing up with you for 1 month or so)
    Tax and NCT covered until end 2018, but will need to sort MOT and UK tax once I’ve registered her with the DVLA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You need to read the policy details about cancelling.
    You should get refunded but there may be a fee besides the cost for the month you used the new insurance.

You can also jump ship to another company and then cancel that policy after a month.

For instance, this is Liberty
    If you cancel your policy in the first year of insurance after the first 14 days, we will work out your refund based on our cancellation rates as shown in the policy booklet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Whatever you do, don't just stop a direct debit when you no longer require cover. Make arrangements with your insurer to cancel the policy. Otherwise, they have to go through the enforced cancellation route and you'll have to disclose that to future potential insurers

Advertisement