Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary teacher Maternity Leave

Options
  • 04-01-2018 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all...
    My first message here on Boards.ie, and probably wont be my last due to the fact that I am 11 weeks pregnant on my first baby and have a million questions. :P
    So I'll start off with my first question...mainly for fellow primary teachers!

My due date is 24-July.
    Are there any other teachers due this date? or have been in the past?
    When did you start maternity leave? When did you go back?
    I would just like to hear your experiences/opinions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭The Infinite Fart

Lyndylooly wrote: »
    Hi all...
    My first message here on Boards.ie, and probably wont be my last due to the fact that I am 11 weeks pregnant on my first baby and have a million questions. :P

My due date is 24-July.

Thanks!

Hi,
    Congratulations!! Our baby was due late June last year and decided to work as close to due date as possible so that I would have the most time off after the baby was born. Even working that close to the due date was fine as I was so excited I didn't really mind being in work! I was due back in December after 26 weeks paid leave but am now taking unpaid maternity leave until Easter holidays. Just saved a bit of money along the way. It's so nice now to have had the time after the baby was born. Couldn't imagine going back any earlier. There's a maternity leave calculator in the INTO website too which I found very handy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not a teacher but you have to finish up two weeks before your date at 38 weeks.Unless you have problems that mean you get signed off by your doctor earlier.Assuming you are ok, you would be in the lucky position of being able to officially start mat leave round july 10th sometime, but having started your holidays round the end of June, so you would have a few weeks off beforehand in reality.Just remember the later you start your mat leave, the older the baby will be when you go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Lyndylooly wrote: »
    Hi all...

My due date is 24-July.

Thanks!

Congrats!
    Secondary school teacher here so I presume you get the same leave.. Start your mat leave on Saturday 14th July. It will end Friday 11th January.

Other leave you can avail of:
    Unpaid maternity leave - 16 weeks taken as continuous days once you stop it though you forfeit the remainder.
    Parental leave - 18 weeks taken as 7 day blocks. You can come on and off it so you can get paid for Easter holidays etc.
    10 days unpaid personal days - taken as individual days. You can use these to fill the gaps eg you don’t want to have parental leave in Easter holidays.

Ring the leave Dept in dept of ed they are super helpful and worked out all my leave for me ;) no one told me of the 10 unpaid personal days. I thought I was going to have to lose st Patrick’s day to parental leave!

Advertisement