Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galeforce Dublin - Bike/Tyre Choice

Options
  • 04-01-2018 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to add the Gaelforce Dublin to my collection this year.

The website seems to be cautioning the use of road-bikes for the cycle route, and recommending Cyclocross bikes, but I'm assuming most people who have done this have used their standard road-bike?

I have Continental Grand Prix 4-Season tyres on my Giant road-bike, which has got me around numerous Adv. races in the last 18 months without any problems. I assume this will be fine again for GFD, or am I underestimating the dirt road sections?

I see from a similar thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057811270 that its about 50/50 road-bike/MTB.

Anyone got any further advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

burly wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hoping to add the Gaelforce Dublin to my collection this year.

The website seems to be cautioning the use of road-bikes for the cycle route, and recommending Cyclocross bikes, but I'm assuming most people who have done this have used their standard road-bike?

I have Continental Grand Prix 4-Season tyres on my Giant road-bike, which has got me around numerous Adv. races in the last 18 months without any problems. I assume this will be fine again for GFD, or am I underestimating the dirt road sections?

I see from a similar thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057811270 that its about 50/50 road-bike/MTB.

Anyone got any further advice?

The first off road section is thick mud - at least it was last year. You will end up carrying your bike for portions of it. I did it on my hybrid and got bogged down a few times but it was otherwise grand. From recollection it then goes downhill a bit and you can ride it out. Obviously there is a higher risk of puncture on a road/hybrid but realistically you won't be able to cycle a lot if it. Considering what a small portion of the cycle it is I'm not sure it's worth over thinking.

Advertisement