Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr. Sludge tubes

Options
  • 04-01-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭

Offhand, anyone know where I can get Dr. Sludge inner tubes around Dublin ? Tried a few places but none in stock.
    Looking for 700 x 28c - 35c with Schrader valves.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Don't know how they rate, compared to Dr Sludge or whether they work at all, but halfords have slime tubes. They seemed to have a few different options, but I wasn't looking for that size or valve type.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Really not a fan of those tubes, i prefer to use the kevlar liner on the inside wall of the tyre. Have not had a single puncture in 6 years or so since getting them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Don't know how they rate, compared to Dr Sludge or whether they work at all, but halfords have slime tubes. They seemed to have a few different options, but I wasn't looking for that size or valve type.

I have the slime brand MTB tubes. I got a puncture on them and they did go flat on me about 4 times after that, which I believe was the same puncture, i.e. the slime was not working properly, it might have held up for a few days and then I would walk out to find it flat again. I knew where the position of it was since it was a dirty big nail or something.

I then copped on it might need more slime over the hole so after pumping again I would leave the bike so the punctured spot was at the bottom of the wheel, and all the slime would gather down there. I did this for a week or so and never had a flat since.

My story does not sound great but I got them in july 2015 and have had no other punctures and I am extremely careless about cycling over crap. So I am very pleased with them.

I would recommend marthon plus tyres as a first preference though, I could not get them in my wheel size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

rubadub wrote: »
    I have the slime brand MTB tubes. I got a puncture on them and they did go flat on me about 4 times after that, which I believe was the same puncture, i.e. the slime was not working properly, it might have held up for a few days and then I would walk out to find it flat again. I knew where the position of it was since it was a dirty big nail or something.

I then copped on it might need more slime over the hole so after pumping again I would leave the bike so the punctured spot was at the bottom of the wheel, and all the slime would gather down there. I did this for a week or so and never had a flat since.

My story does not sound great but I got them in july 2015 and have had no other punctures and I am extremely careless about cycling over crap. So I am very pleased with them.

I would recommend marthon plus tyres as a first preference though, I could not get them in my wheel size.

Thanks for that. Coincidentally, I just got a pair of Marathon Plus tyres today - 700 x 35C.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Coincidentally, I just got a pair of Marathon Plus tyres today - 700 x 35C.

Then I seriously think you have no need for sludges/slimes. I had gatorskins and still got punctures, I had my marathon plus for I think over 2 years with no punctures, never got a chance to get one as they were nicked :mad:. The marathons add some weight, as would the slimes.

I was so confident of my marathon plus I used to cycle long distances with no pump or spare tubes etc. And I was as reckless then as I am now, sticking to cycle tracks littered with glass.

I got schwalbe tyres with supposed puncture protection (not as high a rating as marathon plus) but still got a puncture so said feck it and got the slimes. I think just stick to regulars and if you do get a puncture go for slime/sludge.

People think marathon plus are expensive, but they are also extremely hard wearing with a much longer life expectancy, schwalbe have their own expect mileage, when you take it into account they are actually cheap tyres to use per mile, and when you take the puncture resistance into account its a no brainer for many, unless you are racing or something. You might save a minute in efficiency, but if you are commuting and cannot be late for work its a no brainer. A woman in work had them and was asking me to inspect them as she was convinced they needed replacing as she had done so much mileage on them, she was experienced enough to have even calculated when to think about changing tyres and chains etc, and could not understand how they were lasting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement