Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dune Half Marathon

Options
  • 04-01-2018 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Looking into running an early half to get race ready for Bohermeen. I haven't heard too much chatter about this one. Elevation looks tough, pretty much uphill to 140m elevation and then down for the last 3ks or so. Anyone have any experience, is it an enjoyable race?

Edit - Actually see that's it the reverse route from the mapmyrun i was looking at. Hard climb for a couple of ks and then gradually down for the majority of route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

It's a tough hilly one by all accounts. This will be my first time doing it. I live on the route just around mile 10 so it will be nice to run by my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I've done it last 2 years. I wouldn't be my favourite nor my least favourite half-marathon. It starts in Newry and finishes in Dundalk. The first 3k are all up a gradual uphill, which is tough. Then from 3k to 10k it's very flat until a killer hill at the 10k mark. Then, you have a bit of a downhill to get you going again and it's pretty much flat with downhill until you reach Dundalk town where it evens off. Support for the finish is good coming into Dundalk at the finish with support. However, I felt it was a bit on the dangerous side as there were no marshalls around the 20km mark and it was busy with traffic. This race always sells out so sign up asap would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I did it once and enjoyed it. As the guys have said it's tough running up the Dublin road hill at the beginning. Is it only 3k? I thought it was further. I did it after a bit of a lay off to see what was in me and I was about a minute off pb. Very good challenge.

Did any of you guys run this today?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I ran it yesterday, it was may second time running it and was tougher this year due to the cold and snow. but overall a well organised race and the pacers are excellent, I took three minutes off my PB and ran it much quicker than I did in 2016.

I can't wait for 2018 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Can't recommend this half enough. It's a great point to point over a challenging course and was well organised. 3 seconds under target was a plus. The 4k hill out of Newry sets it up nicely and the Jonnesborough hill seemed shorter than I was expecting but tough. Overall a great challenge. Country Halfs are much better craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I was devastated to have to pull out due to injury but I did go down to the end of my road to cheer people on as they went past in Faughart.

Great stuff folks. My garmin was off I thought I was having a stinker but ended up cracking a 7 year PB home in 1:24

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Great stuff folks. My garmin was off I thought I was having a stinker but ended up cracking a 7 year PB home in 1:24

I'll have to put a sticker on my Garmin next time. Great time.

squinn2912 wrote: »

I'll have to put a sticker on my Garmin next time. Great time.

Ha thanks it does illustrate how much of it is mental! I still want my watch fixed!

• Advertisement
Advertisement