Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LTV for a split variable/fixed Mortgage

Options
  • 04-01-2018 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Just trying to work out interest rates for a split mortgage and I just want to confirm my thinking is correct. 
    (I know the variable rates are probably better at the moment but I would be happier with a split.) 

Exapmle 1
    100k mortgage on a house valued at 100k
    100k Fixed mortgage  ->   LTV > 80%    

Exapmle 2 (Split)
    60k Fixed mortgage      ->   LTV  (between 80% and 60% bracket)  
    40k Variable Mortgage  ->   LTV < 50%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

As far as I'm aware LTV is LTV for the total amount borrowed, not the portion of the loan based on the total value. (this is how it was explained to me by my borrower so fingers crossed they didnt lie to me!)

So your LTV only changes based on how much your house is valued against the total amount borrowed.

if you've borrowed 80k and your house is valued at 100k
    Your LTV is 80% for both types of mortgage.

z

Edit to clarify- i missed that it a mortgage of 100% initially.
    If the bank has bands of different rates for LTV's usually they cap them at a >80% rate as you mentioned.
    In this case both your Examples would be >80%

LTV for a split variable/fixed Mortgage
    Just trying to work out interest rates for a split mortgage and I just want to confirm my thinking is correct.
    (I know the variable rates are probably better at the moment but I would be happier with a split.)

Exapmle 1
    100k Fixed mortgage -> LTV > 80%

Exapmle 2 (Split)
    60k Fixed mortgage -> LTV >80%
    40k Variable Mortgage -> LTV >80%

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The LTV is 100% in both cases.

It could only be 100% if the loan was for the full value of the property. I don't think there's anyone offering 100% mortgages at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,078 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Zadkiel wrote: »
    It could only be 100% if the loan was for the full value of the property. I don't think there's anyone offering 100% mortgages at present.
    There are banks offering substantially more than 100% under certain circumstances.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/articles/negative-equity/

Lumen wrote: »
    There are banks offering substantially more than 100% under certain circumstances.

https://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/borrow/mortgages/articles/negative-equity/

True sorry I was working on an assumption of a new first time mortgage not an application including negative equity carried forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 COR218

Zadkiel wrote: »
    i just picked round figures to keep it simple

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

COR218 wrote: »
    i just picked round figures to keep it simple

Nevertheless, you cannot split the mortgage into multiple parts to call it a lower LTV otherwise everyone would do that to take advantage of lower rates.

Advertisement