Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tanix Tx3 as TV backend server

Options
  • 04-01-2018 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭

The device: 2GB RAM; 16GB ROM
    https://www.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_698083.html

See this thread for information on how to get LibreElec running on this cheap Android device.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057810621&page=3
    My post there
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105634322&postcount=37

So, after getting LE working I began to wonder if this small cheap device could be used to serve all the TV channels from Satellite and terrestrial broadcasts over the LAN. I am presently using an old P4 Dell PC to do this.

Has anyone tried this?

My initial tests seem quite positive, but I have not really pushed it as yet .... only set it up this morning. :)
    I used a Telestar Digibit R1 for the Sat tuners and plugged in an Afatech 9013 DVB-T USB tuner stick into the spare USB socket on the Tanix for the terrestrial channels.

If this works out it would be my intention to install LE internally on the Tanix .... I have yet to delve into how best to do this, and to be convinced I can recover from any errors I might (probably will?) make.

It would also be good to know if LE will autoupdate without incident when this is done. It does autoupdate when run from the USB stick as I presently have it set up, so hopefully that will not be a problem.

When set up how many HD TV Channels will it be able to serve reliably?
    That will be something that interests me.
    I expect/hope it will be 5+ which is sufficient for my needs :D

Anyway this post is to find out if anyone has gone down this path before me.
    It would be good to hear back if you di, or even if you contemplated it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Played a bit with this today.

I had no problem at all serving up 6 different TV channels from the Tanix .... 3 of them were HD channels, so all seems well there.

While testing this I discovered that I could not Record any channel ..... it seems the USB stick I was using was too small to allow recording (according to the error message in Tvheadend).

Tonight I partitioned a 160GB 2.5" drive connected via a USB to SATA cable.
    Partition 1: 512MB FAT32 boot & LBA flags set.
    Partition 2: ext4 covering the rest of the drive

I copied the files from the 4GB flash stick into the new drive and it booted successfully. (The filesystem Lables must be correct as LE uses LABEL= to find the partitions to use.)

I was able to record and playback the recording using the larger drive.

All very positive so far.

Next job is to investigate how to put LE on the internal drive.
    Also to try to ensure that I have some means of putting Android back on it should it not work out.

Any pointers appreciated. ;)

Having proven to myself that this box will do what I need as a backend TV server, I realised that, even with LE on the internal drive I would need an external HDD to store recordings, so there is nothing at all to be gained in my set up by putting LE on the internal.
    So I have decided to leave LE on the external drive and boot from that, while having the option to run Android should I ever need to, simply by unplugging the external drive.

I might change the drive sometime in the future for a larger drive .... depends on recorded media and stored media having sufficient room.
    That will be a simple operation in any case.

Now I am considering housing everything in one case .....

Tanix
    2.5" HDD
    DVB-T USB dongles x 2
    USB Hub for the dongles
    A couple of LEDs for Power and function.
    Probably a small fan to extract hot air because the DBV-T dongles generate quite a bit of heat.
    One PSU to adequately power the lot.

That should be fun ..... lots of small pieces to get such as panel sockets for
    PSU input
    RJ45
    Aerial sockets x 2
    (maybe an on/off switch or not :) )

Suggestions for a small case I could use would be appreciated ...... I have no experience sourcing a suitable (or unsuitable) small case. ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Watching with interest, afraid that tv via this method is above my pay grade ! If you’re looking for a small (enough) case you could try quietpc.com - they have a range of hcpc cases that might do the trick, otherwise try maplins or hunt on http://ie.farnell.com for something suitable.

Cheers,

Ritz.

The Ritz wrote: »
    Watching with interest, afraid that tv via this method is above my pay grade ! If you’re looking for a small (enough) case you could try quietpc.com - they have a range of hcpc cases that might do the trick, otherwise try maplins or hunt on http://ie.farnell.com for something suitable.

Cheers,

Ritz.

Thanks ...... the concept is simple enough.
    The tuners are managed by Tvheadend running in LibreElec OS.
    Tvheadend manages everything such as recording, EPG and makes the tuners available on the LAN, where any device with suitable software can watch, record and playback a stored recording or media.
    It is very convenient if you have a LAN.

I am hoping to find a case (which will never be seen so no need for commercial HTPC case) that is low in height (~2" to 3.5" maybe) and shaped similar to an STB or 24 port Switch.
    I hope it will be headless, with some holes for airflow and a small slow running fan to keep air moving.
    The PSU will be outside - an in-line brick - and everything in the box runs at 5V.

Believe it or not, when trying to get a compact layout for a case, it is the connecting wires that are causing me the hassle :)
    The hardware pieces are quite small, but the connections mean the wiring takes up lots of space.

I might begin by fitting the parts into a cardboard box which should make things simple for holes etc.
    When I decide on an optimum layout I can then look more closely for a suitable case.

Now to find a suitable box from some Xmas pressie :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Sounds like a good approach, throw up a few pics when you're finished, it would be great to see the gubbins when it's all set up.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Advertisement

It will (no doubt) be a while before I finish it properly.
    I have a habit of doing a temporary job .... and if it lasts long enough it becomes permanent :D:D

14"W x 3"H x 9.5"D seems to be about the size that would suit me ..... giving more than enough room inside for additions as well as working room.

I could probably cut that down considerably, but I much prefer lots of room for air circulation and fan if required.

As I write I am watching TV on my PC served from this set up in a cardboard box.

:D

All is left is the case! :)

I hit a weird problem tonight.
    I receive Saorview from Maghera.
    This set up refuses to show channels from one frequency - 746 - while 690 is fine.
    The same tuner connected to a different PC has no problems with either frequency.

I used the same aerial connection for both.

It has me puzzled ......

I will test again tomorrow I hope.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just visit your local recycling center, always loads of old PC cases that you can cut up to suit your exact dimensions, and free too if you want to practice on one, you’ll also get loads of handy footing screws etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Just visit your local recycling center, always loads of old PC cases that you can cut up to suit your exact dimensions, and free too if you want to practice on one, you’ll also get loads of handy footing screws etc

I am not handy with metalwork and don't have the facilities to form and bend panels. So cutting up an old case is not going to work for me.
    I have lots of old PC cases ..... but it would involve too much work, unless I can dig out a small form factor old case.

I think there might be one there ..... so thanks for putting that in mind.
    I will try to find it over the weekend .... it just might suit my needs.
    Hopefully I have not dumped it yet. :)

It seems the smallest case I have is too large for my purposes :(

I must be on the look-out for a Dell SFF case - just measured one here (working PC) and it seems it might be ideal if I can find one.

The good news is that my problem with the 746 frequency from Maghera is resolved.
    Turns out it was a dodgy bit of coax cable!

So I am back on track now ... just needing to source a case.

• Advertisement

It has been a long time since I posted about this so thought I should add a note more about the Tanix Tx3 mini than its use as above.

There were a couple of problems with the device which prevented its use as the tv client box ..... most importantly a problem with colour bleed/banding for a few HD channels from Satellite.
    It was mostly visible with BBC HD and UTV HD.
    In addition some of those channels were not using hardware decoding which meant that even if the channel could be watched the CPU was overloaded and heating.
    A less important (to me) 'problem' was the display showing 'boot' while LibreELec was running, in place of the time.

I am pleased to say that those are all sorted now.

Running the 8.2.3.1 S905.arm release from kszaq, in addition to a new 'tx3Mini_dtb.img' file (https://forum.libreelec.tv/core/attachment/2927-tx3mini-dtb-img-zip/), and adding the following command to autostart.sh
    echo 1 > /sys/module/di/parameters/bypass_all

ensures all is good for use as a TV Client box.

With regard to the main project - using the device as a backend server - I have had no problems. I kept the parts in a cardboard box and used panel sockets for the connections ..... power, ethernet and aerial coax sockets, while I bide my time seeking a suitably sized (and free) case.

So it seems this box is now suitable for either use ..... backend server or client STB.

In addition I notice that Tanix have released a firmware update that has both Android AND LibreElec in a dual boot scheme.
    This would be ideal IF the LE OS could be kept updated separately ..... otherwise it is likely to become outdated awaiting Tanix updates for the firmware.
    There is also some resistance to Tanix using the LE OS without releasing the code for their changes which is required by the licence.

I won't be using that unless the problems are sorted ..... yet it is interesting that they have done this, even if it is not yet final.

That is it ....... I hope the extra info about this device is of interest to some, if not at least I have some record of what I did :D

I know this thread is entitled backend server, but this post is about the Tx3 as a client device.
    I saw no more suitable thread for it, so adding it here.
    If mods decide it should be a separate thread I have no probs with that .... just do not think it is needed atm. Anyway .....

I decided to try adamg's most recent community release for the Tanix.
    https://libreelec.adamg.co.uk/releases/LibreELEC-S905.arm-8.90.6.img.gz
    I wrote it to a USB stick and booted.

I followed some instructions in posts here
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/10024-tanix-tx3-mini-with-amlogic-s905w-cpu-libreelec/?pageNo=9
    to get it all working as it should.
    This thread's first post is well worth reading https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/11736-led-vfd-displays-in-libreelec/?pageNo=1

I had to manually replace the default dtb.img with the correct file, from a folder on the USB stick, holding a lot of alternatives, and suitably rename it. That got me booted, but the BBC HD TV channel (in particular) showed colour bleed and the device display only showed 'boot'.

The deinterlace toggle is now in the GUI under
    System - Settings - System - Display - Community Build Extras
    which means no further need to add an autostart file with the command in it.
    So that is easily solved.

The device display is now governed by a vfd.conf file in /storage/.config/ which has to be created manually.
    Simply copy the text from here
    https://github.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations/blob/master/tanix-tx3-vfd.conf
    into a file and save it. I did that using a file manager in Linux and over SMB.
    [There are a lot of pre-made vfd files here https://github.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations]
    In addition, an Addon is needed from the Libreelec repository, named 'FD628', which is what uses the config file.

I rebooted and the display is good & the colour bleed is gone, and I have the latest and greatest for testing. :)

For the first time since I got the Tx3 Mini I have a bad response from the remote control. {EDIT: I think this might have been due to my position in relation to the device while setting up and testing}
    It does work but not as well as previously.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with the new arrangement for the display, somehow interfering ..... don't know, just guessing.

In any case, this is just a head's up to show those interested that development is continuing on the Tanix devices, and things look good.

;)

To provide an update to anyone with interest in Amlogic devices, the developers for this series of boxes have forked from the main LE tree to continue development, hopefully at a faster pace than they could previously.
    The fork is called CoreELEC and the first dev release is here
    https://libreelec.adamg.co.uk/releases/devel/

Here is the announcement
    [8.90.6] LibreELEC 9.0 Alpha for S905/S912 devices

A lot of the problems have been ironed out, with some remaining of course, but development is active - very active.
    Here are some relevant links
    https://github.com/coreelec
    https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/tree/rebrand
    https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/issues

Update: The 'devel' releases have finished and now we have alpha/beta releases which for me have been solid.
    Available here
    https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases
    Info and discussion:
    https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/12055-8-90-0-coreelec-for-s905-s912-devices/

I have been using the CoreELEC release 8.90.1 both for client machine and also testing for backend server, as the title of this thread indicates.

The client machine works very well with CoreELEC.
    They have introduced lots of changes and options which improved the user experience and help with set up.
    I have left that be for the moment, at least until the next release sometime this month.

In the meantime I have been using the Tanix as the tvh server and it operates very well indeed, again using the latest CoreELEC release.

So this release does both jobs admirably well.

I continue to use the Digibit SAT>IP server for satellite channel, and have two cheap USB dongle tuners, in a powered hub, attached to the Tanix, for the Saorview channels.

I am still working out of a cardboard box temporarily, until I come to a final decision on the hardware to be boxed.
    At present I have two PSUs (one each for hub and Tanix) but as both are 5V devices then one larger PSU will do when packaged.

I have had no problems at all concurrently displaying 10 different channels from this backend, including many Saorview channels.
    I had feared the dongles might not 'be up to the task, but once I had the PSUs sorted all came good.

I also tried a Pi-1B with the hub/dongles, set up as a Sat>IP server on the network, specifically for the Saorview channels using the two dongles.
    It worked fine for a couple of channels but adding any more caused the poor Pi to go 100% CPU and crap out. Just not up to the job! It not being worthwhile buying a better Pi for the purpose I abandoned that idea for the present.

So the Tanix Tx3 Mini is doing all I might want, while still being capable of much more, such as rebooting into Android should I wish. Much more versatile than a Pi it seems. I have not compared it to a R-Pi 3, but it is better than a R-Pi 2 I have here also.

I guess I am having too much fun changing and testing to settle on a final set up yet :)

I have a small PCB which was stripped out of something that has four USB ports, which I might be able to re-purpose to replace the consumer-grade hub I am presently using. That should be fun testing ...... :D:D

BTW, I had also successfully tested the Tanix with the two dongles as a Sat>IP device for the Saorview channels. It showed on the network in similar manner to the Digibit, and all worked as well as one could hope.
    I might well go that route if I want only Sat>IP on the network, in the longer term.
    It is a pity that there are no commercial devices which output Sat>IP protocol but contain a couple of DVB-T/2 tuners.

/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

great thread, would like to do something similar in my house but would involve quite a bit of work to do so

Today I changed from booting from USB flash stick to using a SD card (Class 10).
    It further reduces the protrusions from the Tanix, as that has a built-in mini SD card slot.

I will eventually get it all as I would like :)

OK, latest update in this saga :D

I got funding from my bank (SWMBO) and got a HDHomerun box so now the set up is much tidier and I hope easier manage for those who did not set it up but might have to manage it in future. :)

The present system (for as long as this lasts):

Sat dish with quad LNB (Unicable LNB bought to be fitted later).
    Terrestrial Saorview aerial.

Digibit R1 quad DVB-S tuner box  .....  ethernet cable to switch
    HDHomerun quad DVB-T tuner box  .....  ethernet cable to switch
    Sky+HD box with eir sports card whose HDMI output goes to
    Edision HDMI to DVB-T converter .....  ethernet cable to switch
    Tanix Tx3 running CoreELEC with tvheadend to manage tuners, recordings, etc  .....  ethernet cable to switch
    NAS/Server  .....  ethernet cable to switch

If I could only dispense with the big and awkward Sky box and use something more convenient it would make this a really nice set up, IMO. If anyone has any suggestions on that score I would like to hear them .... bearing in mind my internet connection is crap so no streaming allowed, as it would 'break the internet' for everyone else. ;)

Next job will be to replace my old sat dish and fit a Unicable LNB, so I will have only two coax cables coming in ..... one for Sat and one for terrestrial. They can be split inside as/if required.

Both the HDHomerun and the Tanix are about 4" square and the switch 6" x 4". The Digibit is about 7" x 9". All of those are nice and small and easy fit on a shelf. The Sky box is abut 14" x 10" and is a bit of a slab in comparison :D I hate the damned thing! The sooner I figure out some alternative the better!

Not much else to add at this time ..... will probably be some weeks at least before I get the new dish and maybe aerial, and put the lot in their final resting place.

For now I am happy that I have a very flexible system that provides all the TV channels I can receive to all connecting devices simultaneously (up to the limit of 4 Sat transponders at present) with plenty ability to expand should that ever be necessary.

It has been a long journey, but the end is in sight (I think) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

If you're looking for a small linux satellite box to replace the SkyHD box I can recommend the Edison OS Nino (6x4"). After buying a Tiviar for the sitting room I was looking for a small box for the kitchen with single tuner as I wasn't interested in recording. I have mapped the recording folder from the Tiviar so can watch anything it records. I'm running OpenAtv on both my boxes
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/edision/edision-os-nino-combo-dvb-s-2-plus-dvb-c-t-t2

Let me know if you want a backup of my image could save you a lot of time with the setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

It's a great setup you have! I would like to know how the hdhomerun performs for you! Thinking of taking the hit and getting one but not 100%. Hopefully it's good! Does the sky feed allow you to change channels or is it just always on the sports channel you have? And then the edision distributes around the house is it? Or is there magic eyes on them? I'm looking for something that's dvb-s for the free views that works with fire sticks! Or tvheadend and then plex! Can't for the life of me get tvhproxy to work!

• Advertisement

If you're looking for a small linux satellite box to replace the SkyHD box I can recommend the Edison OS Nino (6x4"). After buying a Tiviar for the sitting room I was looking for a small box for the kitchen with single tuner as I wasn't interested in recording. I have mapped the recording folder from the Tiviar so can watch anything it records. I'm running OpenAtv on both my boxes
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/edision/edision-os-nino-combo-dvb-s-2-plus-dvb-c-t-t2

Let me know if you want a backup of my image could save you a lot of time with the setup.

The difficulty is that the eir sports card (Sky card) will not function in such a box, as far as I can tell.
    Those cards require a Sky box to pair with. :(

whiteley91 wrote: »
    It's a great setup you have! I would like to know how the hdhomerun performs for you! Thinking of taking the hit and getting one but not 100%. Hopefully it's good! Does the sky feed allow you to change channels or is it just always on the sports channel you have? And then the edision distributes around the house is it? Or is there magic eyes on them? I'm looking for something that's dvb-s for the free views that works with fire sticks! Or tvheadend and then plex! Can't for the life of me get tvhproxy to work!

The HDHomerun initial testing is working fine.
    Picture seems solid.
    Longer term tests required to know for sure.
    I got the 4 tuner model because I needed three tuners ... one per Saorview mux plus one tuner for the eir sports channels.
    With one tuner working it runs cool and a little warmer with two and so on.
    I read that it gets HOT ..... not yet seen that as I have no means of getting the four working. Three is my max at present.

Presently the Sky box is close to me so I am using the remote control directly.
    When it gets moved into the remote media press I will need to set up something to control it ....... what, I have no idea as I would like to be able to control it from any location. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Do you have a link for the hdhomerun ?

Ste- wrote: »
    Do you have a link for the hdhomerun ?

Sure, this is the quatro.
    There is also a dual tuner model available which is considerably cheaper.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-quatro/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BFPWBNS/ref=pe_3187911_185740111_TE_item

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Sky multiroom box (DRX 595) is more compact than the main HD+ boxes at 273 x 204 x 52 mm. No recording but I guess you are not using that anyway. You might be able to pick one up cheap enough on eBay or similar.

The Sky multiroom box (DRX 595) is more compact than the main HD+ boxes at 273 x 204 x 52 mm. No recording but I guess you are not using that anyway. You might be able to pick one up cheap enough on eBay or similar.

Thanks for the hint!
    I have never even seen one :D

No, recording is not available directly on the box ..... but of course is available from the DVB-T stream generated by the Edision.

I got a new Sat dish and had it erected yesterday, and fitted the Unicable II LNB to it.
    Single coax into Digibit R1 and set up the receiver for Unicable II.

It survived storm Hector!

So now, for the vast majority of my requirements just two coax cables are all that I need ..... one aerial feeding the HDhomerun and one the Digibit .... giving me four tuners for each.

I am still using the Sky dish to feed the Sky box for eirsports.
    I so wish eir would or could get rid of the requirement to use a Sky box to receive their channels. :(

It seems fibre will be available to me in the next couple of months ..... guys outside fitting DP s to poles and in the 'buried cabinets' (what are they called?).
    Maybe the eir streams will be available in HD (1080) so I could change to IPTV for eirsports. ..... probably a forlorn hope!

Only other change I made is to the CoreELEC OS running on the backend Tanix ......... I stopped Kodi automatically on reboot or start up to save resources. I can easily restart it if I ever need to drive a monitor.

It has been a long and interesting journey.
    Except for some minor tweaks it seems I have finally arrived at journey's end.
    Here are a couple of pics showing the tuners in operation ..... one DVB-T unused ...... 2 x Saorview and 1 x HDMI to DVB-T for eirsports

tvheadend4.png

tvheadend3.png

7screens.png

All done just in time for the World Cup :)

Hopefully my ramblings have been of interest to some. :D

EDIT:
    I should have mentioned that the OS, CoreELEC, got updated automatically to version 8.90.3 recently, in case anyone is searching for it.
    https://github.com/CoreELEC/CoreELEC/releases

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Followed the story and enjoyed it.

I currently feed two DVB-T sticks with seperate aerials. I.E. Rabbit ears. If I got the HD HomeRun would I only need 1 set of rabbit ears to feed the HD HomeRun and it give me 4 feeds for it ?

Looks messy with all those rabbits (scene from father ted)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

It's a great setup you have! Trying to do the same through plex which is a pain! Can't get tvhproxy to work for me

• Advertisement

Ste- wrote: »
    Followed the story and enjoyed it.

I currently feed two DVB-T sticks with seperate aerials. I.E. Rabbit ears. If I got the HD HomeRun would I only need 1 set of rabbit ears to feed the HD HomeRun and it give me 4 feeds for it ?

Looks messy with all those rabbits (scene from father ted)

:D

The HDhomerun, either dual or quatro tuner model, has one aerial connection which is used to feed the tuners.

So if the signal is good enough all should be ok.

There is a considerable price difference between the dual tuner and the quatro.
    If you only need two tuners then the dual would be the one to choose.

If you ever have need in the future for more tuners, then a second Hdhomerun can be added to the network.

On the other hand, if you have a good signal on the rabbit ears then a simple passive splitter on the aerial would allow you to feed both existing tuners from one aerial at minimum cost.

Glad the story was of interest ;)

Advertisement