Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring insurance from one car to another

Options
  • 04-01-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We're in a bit of a predicament. I've posted on the motor boards before about my car and this morning it had a major Engine error and we are now sure it needs to go asap (the repairs would exceed the value of the car by far). The plan would be to buy a banger which is the only thing we can afford, since we need a car yet we are quite broke right now.
    So the old car, a 06 1.1 Citroen C3 is insured until May with Axa. I've seen you can indeed change the car on the insurance policy.
    If I'd buy a car that's the same age or even a year or two older than that and have a bigger engine size, would this massively impact the policy?

Sorry I have no knowledge about this whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can ring them and ask how the change would affect the premium. They will often waive the increment (i.e. they won't refund or ask you to pay the difference) if it's under a certain threshold.

You have a 12 year old 1.1 litre. In the current environment (market being flooded with UK imports) you should be able to pick up a 6-7 year old car for a song. Just don't go big on engine size, keep it (say) to 1.4 max and the premium shouldn't change much if you have full licences and a good no-claims discount.

No need to mention that it's a forced change, just say you're thinking of changing car and you wonder if you bought model xxx how it would affect the premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Thanks for the reply!

That certainly proves a problem, because at the moment for the next few months we're incredibly tight on money so a 6-7 year old car is not doable right now.
    The other problem is that the car is in my partners name who's on a provisional and I'm holding an EU which will take approx. 2 months to exchange (going to the office next week), therefore no company even quotes me despite me living in the country for a while. Axa quotes me but that's a F off one.

EDIT: The NCB on it would be 2 years in May.

Advertisement