Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Company car - insurance

Options
  • 04-01-2018 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I'm due to get a company car by the end of the month, and I had a question around my own personal insurance. With company car everything will be covered, including insurance, so I will therefore be cancelling my own policy.

I've heard a couple of people mention that when they were on a company car for several years, once they moved off and had to get their own insurance policy again, they had lost all their no claims, driving history etc and therefore essentially may have been a brand new driver when taking out their own insurance policy.

Anyone had any experience with this that could give me some advice in how best to go about it? Could I go named driver onto my other half's car and keep all my history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

1) Go named driver on the OH policy anyway as will make his/her insurance cheaper and you will get to use it as part of your no claims bonus.

2) If you have sole use of the company car and you are named on the insurance policy ( not open drive) it won't be a problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 82,785 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As far as I know after 2 years of a lapse you lose the no claims on the policy. Going as named driver on another policy may be recognised by some insurers for no claims but it's very unlikely that they will consider it continuation of your own no claims you have at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

As far as I know after 2 years of a lapse you lose the no claims on the policy. Going as named driver on another policy may be recognised by some insurers for no claims but it's very unlikely that they will consider it continuation of your own no claims you have at the moment.

Before the two years expire it’s an idea for you to insure the other car in your name and with your wife as a named driver

Advertisement