Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring pension, leaving service options

• 04-01-2018 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Are there any pitfalls to be aware of when transferring the funds of an old occupational pension to that of a new employer?

Old employer has long since wound up, and I get statements from a the provider, (Zurich) via broker, so all is in order with the 'older' pension. Management fee is .75% and fund performance seems normal.

New employer (I've been with over 4 years), happy enough with also, and have been maxing my AVC's when possible. Regular statements, all good. Fund with Irish Life, management fee .55%

In terms of funds / risk / returns, both appear similar, and I'm happy with the level of risk given my age, so not concerned about this.

Just need to know what questions I should be asking the broker about the 'old' pension in terms of possible costs I could be hit with. (What can they legitimately charge)

There's no charge on the transfer to the newer fund. Just 100% allocation, just like my AVC's to date.

Reason I'm doing this is to reduce fees, and to tidy up my affairs.

I also have a PRSA from 10 years of self employment, but appears there's no options to due anything with this regarding transfer. (former Quinn Life product)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am in a similar situation like yourself I have two pensions one from a former employer and the current one from my new employer both are with the same pension provider, If I was to move my old one pension into the new one it means that the funds from it I can not access till my retirement.
    Were as if I leave them separate I can access the old pension from 50 years of age onwards, Even though I am paying fees on both schemes at the moment I am happy to leave it as it is.

Advertisement