Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Food

Options
  • 04-01-2018 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hello everybody

We have been living here in Ireland / Waterford for about 3 months and are planning to start our own business with a bistro in the next 2 - 3 months.

Since we come from Germany we want to offer exclusively German cuisine such as "Schnitzel in different variations", "Currywurst with chips / potato salad" and so on.

Of course, we will get our goods directly from Germany, so that everything is a faithful concept.

What do you think?

Do you think it feels good ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

As a market stall, I think its a great idea. For a brick & mortar bistro, I'm not sure the demand is there for that kind of foodie experience at the moment.

That being said, no one else is offering something like it - so worth doing the market research on.
    My feeling is it would do well going around Waterford and surrounding counties as a market stall. I could be totally wrong - best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I like the idea (though being vegetarian, the schnitzel and currywurst don't hold that much appeal), but I would advise some good research first. I live in county Cork, and a few years ago a Schnitzel restaurant did open here, only to close its doors again within a few months.
    German cuisine doesn't have the greatest reputation in Ireland I find, and getting something off the ground may well be an uphill struggle.

Also, I would anticipate that people here may not take to the idea of potatoes and meat being imported from Germany - I'd advise setting up a local supply chain where possible. It'll just go down a bit better.

Schnitzel and spaetzl! Mmmmy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

therustic wrote: »
    Hello everybody

We have been living here in Ireland / Waterford for about 3 months and are planning to start our own business with a bistro in the next 2 - 3 months.

Since we come from Germany we want to offer exclusively German cuisine such as "Schnitzel in different variations", "Currywurst with chips / potato salad" and so on.

Of course, we will get our goods directly from Germany, so that everything is a faithful concept.

What do you think?

Do you think it feels good ???

Schweinhaxe mit kartoffelknödel bitte!

I'd love to see it but like another poster said it may be difficult to generate sufficient demand. Market stall; certainly could see it do well. Perhaps a bistro with a German special that changes weekly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

As a stall it would work great. There is a German Bratwurst stall in Howth in Dublin, they are quite decent.
    The sausage concept would probably work. Afaik the weekly foodfair in Dublin that's around the business parks have or had a Schnitzel stall.

I personally hate Irish sausages but love the german ones.
    You'd probably be more successful in Dublin with the idea, some food businesses in Waterford struggle as it is. Definitely check out the demand first with pop up opportunities or catering.

And on a personal note: Let me tell you as an Austrian, there is no Schnitzel in different variations, there's only one, the Wiener. Don't you dare to dishonor this culinary sacred piece of meat with Tunke :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

LirW wrote: »
    And on a personal note: Let me tell you as an Austrian, there is no Schnitzel in different variations, there's only one, the Wiener. Don't you dare to dishonor this culinary sacred piece of meat with Tunke :pac:
    I could murder a Zigeunerschnitzel right now :D

I'm still pretty sure the 3rd world war will be because of this specific issue between Austrians and Germans :D

It's a difficult one. Personally having lived there for a good number of years I'd be up for a German restaurant/bistro myself, but I think I'd be in a minority. Maybe if you really camped it up a bit with the decor, oompah music, waitresses in Dirndl's etc., you might capture a bit more of the market, but even then I'm not sure if it would catch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I was in this place in Munich http://www.ratskeller.com/ and the food was excellent. I got a starter of some goulash/stew type dish and it was so good I got more for the main course. I'd cut off my right arm for a bowl of it now !

That was a good few years ago but looking at the menu now there's not much on it that I don't like the look of.

Not too sure Warterford is big enough to sustain your idea though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Whilst I'd love it myself I think, like previous posters, it'd work more as a stall.

Problems with a German quisine restaurant in Waterford would be lack of footfall from smallish population for a niche restaurant.

Fermented foods simply aren't generally popular with Irish and there's whiff of suspicion of non Irish meats and if you serve a Paddy a waxy potato dish be prepared to be tied to a donkey and driven out of town.

Would it be possible to piggy back on an existing business such as a Craft Beer pub that has kitchen space?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

While me personally would love it but I have traveled with a number of groups to Munich and Berlin and it surprises me how many Irish people are not willing to taste local food.

As someone mentioned a food stall selling Germany food might work in certain circumstances I can’t see a Germany restaurant taking off unfortunately..
    With cuisine from other countries you can kind of mix it up a bit to suit the Irish but I think this might be difficult with German food.

Now a German beer hall might be a different story and maybe you could work food into that type of situation.

harr wrote: »
    Now a German beer hall might be a different story and maybe you could work food into that type of situation.
    Yes, and don't forget the Dirndl's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I hate to be negative on Boards as some days I feel there isn't a positive comment to be found anywhere.

However.... I really feel this idea needs a bit of market research before going into the full bricks and mortar restaurant.

As stated already, German food does not have a good reputation in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

A market stall to try out the concept sounds like a good idea to me. If it went well your customers would probably be delighted to see you transition to a bistro after a while. If it didn't work you wouldn't have spent anything like as much as the cost of setting up a restaurant from scratch.

I don't live in Waterford, so I wouldn't be eating there, but I do like German food :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

difficult one, my wife is german and i still couldnt tell you much about german food so you would have a brand recognition problem. also at the risk of being flamed , outside of a few trendy areas in Dublin Irish people tend not to be very adventurous when it comes to food , outside of the tourist season i'd imagine pickings would be slim

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love German food, would appreciate a place like that in Cork, now that the bierhaus has closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I would dispute that German food has a bad reputation in Ireland, the Alpenfest range in Lidl is very popular and Aldis bratwurst were very popular during the summer.
    Sauerkraut is getting very popular as well.
    I actually preferred Lidl and Aldi when they were less mainstream.

Saying that I think a German restaurant might struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 therustic

Hello,

Thank you for the many answers and for the different opinions.

It is by no means NOT a "star kitchen", but also no stall on a market or no Bavarian "Oktoberfest" with Dirndl.

Germany has more to offer than "Weißwurst" and "Schweinshax'n" :-)

A small bistro where all food (including takeaway) are offered.

Of course, regional products will be used as well, of course, potatoes, vegetables and so on.

Some things like the "Currywurst" or the "Bratwurst" simply have to be delivered because they are not available all year round.

Here in the city the feedback has actually been very good and I / we just wanted to hear the opinion of people from the rest of the island.

Of course, a good German beer will not be missing!

(P.S The Schnitzel will certainly be called "Zigeuner Schnitzel", but of course for the Austrians among you as a classic Wiener Schnitzel ;-)

We would be happy about further opinions !!!

Greetings from Waterford ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I think the biggest issue you will have is getting people in the door to give it a try ,once people give it a go and word gets out you might do well.
    With a good selection of beers and a good fun atmosphere you might be in with a chance.
    Location might be key as well.

Do you know of any other similar type restaurants in Ireland?

Of course, the location and the atmosphere is all that matters most.

Without it we do not need to start.

But also have some experience in the field of self-employment in the restaurant, otherwise we would not go this step.

Gastronomy with similar concepts as ours here in Ireland and certainly not in our area.

The "feature of the unique position" is indeed the most important thing that matters!

• Advertisement

I find it positive that you're planning to do more than Bavarian food. When people talk about German Food they usually really mean Bavarian food and Currywurst.

That said, a mad Currywurst with chips is something I'd buy on a regular base if I'd live close. If you carry some take-away appropriate dishes like Currywurst that might do you a favour.
    For example in Dublin I lived close to this new Greek place on the Northside which I grew to absolutely love. While they have plenty of dishes on the menu, they do their main business with their Souvlaki and Gyros as take-away/orders. And they do them really really well.
    A small, solid take away selection will definitely work in your favour. Personally it turns me off a place though when they do a hundred things with no clear line. For example, they do Asia noodles, kebabs and burgers. I avoid places like that like a plague. So authenticity is pretty important.

The way I know the Irish a small menu with a clear line is probably a key thing. I doubt that a fusion of Eastern German ex-DDR meets Bavaria meets North Sea fish cuisine would work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Hi there, Polish friends of mine opened a polish restaurant serving Polish food. They really struggled. They had to close and rebrand to offer Irish food. Value, quality and location are your friends.

therustic wrote: »
    Hello,

Thank you for the many answers and for the different opinions.

It is by no means NOT a "star kitchen", but also no stall on a market or no Bavarian "Oktoberfest" with Dirndl.

Germany has more to offer than "Weißwurst" and "Schweinshax'n" :-)

A small bistro where all food (including takeaway) are offered.

Of course, regional products will be used as well, of course, potatoes, vegetables and so on.

Some things like the "Currywurst" or the "Bratwurst" simply have to be delivered because they are not available all year round.

Here in the city the feedback has actually been very good and I / we just wanted to hear the opinion of people from the rest of the island.

Of course, a good German beer will not be missing!

(P.S The Schnitzel will certainly be called "Zigeuner Schnitzel", but of course for the Austrians among you as a classic Wiener Schnitzel ;-)

We would be happy about further opinions !!!

Greetings from Waterford ...

You should talk to the German butcher near Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You should talk to the German butcher near Killarney.

If you're on about the one in Fossa I think it has been closed for a few years now afaik.

I just saw that, was always intending to visit it. Such a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I think this could work. People do like trying new food and if you were open when pubs were closing you'd be onto a winner with take-aways. The Polish shops are hopping down here, the Polish butchers the same. Go for it chief.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I don't know about German food but Austrian would be great (kidding :P) Gröstl, Schnitzel, Käsekrainer in particular, Backhendl(salat), Käsespätzle, Gulasch, Frittatensuppe, whenever I have people visiting me here they love the stuff,but the problem is getting Irish people to try them in the first place.

One thing I'd say watch out for is the Irish palate, I never considered myself a picky eater in Ireland but over here it often feels like I am when we go out to restaurants, Kren in particular is something that really stands out as being very common here but would be not so common in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I have to say that I'd love to see a German restaurant here, but I'm in Dublin.

There is a German restaurant in London that we went to when we were there:

http://www.bavarian-beerhouse.co.uk/london/

I guess that would be a good template. They have a couple of veggie options, too.

Rambling a bit here, but the last time we were in Germany we visited a place called "Karl's", which I would describe as Strawberry Heaven. One of the things we bought there was a jar of strawberry jam made with Lübeck marzipan. It is just indecently delicious! :)

Hi Guys,

of course I can not and will not reveal everything we will offer :-)

But we thank you for your honest opinions !!! (and of course, you'd like to hear more about it)

As I said, as soon as we open it we will inform you and gladly also set the link to our website, so you can take a picture of us and our delicious food and who knows, maybe one of you will come by ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I don't know about German food but Austrian would be great (kidding :P) Gröstl, Schnitzel, Käsekrainer in particular, Backhendl(salat), Käsespätzle, Gulasch, Frittatensuppe, whenever I have people visiting me here they love the stuff,but the problem is getting Irish people to try them in the first place.

One thing I'd say watch out for is the Irish palate, I never considered myself a picky eater in Ireland but over here it often feels like I am when we go out to restaurants, Kren in particular is something that really stands out as being very common here but would be not so common in Ireland.

I haven't a clue what any of those dishes are.
    But I'd definitely give it a try if a nice restaurant opened near me.
    OP, don't forget to describe the dishes well on the menu.

Advertisement