Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Question

• 04-01-2018 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

So we are trying to move to a bigger house, my wife 2 kids under 6 and I.

My wife is on a very good salary, 75K euro. I am self employed on 40k. For under a year.

The bank will not look at me for a mortgage as i am self employed.

I will be able to put up 50K in cash, will this have any influence on the banks view on me?

I believe the bank will look at me as a dependent, is this true?

Do you think they will lend to my wife? We need to borrow 180K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 IamCait

Hi

So we are trying to move to a bigger house, my wife 2 kids under 6 and I.

My wife is on a very good salary, 75K euro. I am self employed on 40k. For under a year.

The bank will not look at me for a mortgage as i am self employed.

I will be able to put up 50K in cash, will this have any influence on the banks view on me?

I believe the bank will look at me as a dependent, is this true?

Do you think they will lend to my wife? We need to borrow 180K

Hi OP, I just went to the bank and my figures were extremely similar to yours only mine was the higher figure and I too was the sole trader, which they weren't concerned about at all. What bank did you apply with? I was basically approval in principle a €370K mortgage once I show that we can save €2,100 between us for 6 months minimum before we apply. The guy I was dealing with wasn't concerned at all that I was a sole trader and was very sure that once we show those savings we would get the loan. Having said that they want to see at least 3 years of those takings and thankfully the last 4 years were very similar so maybe that was in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mikefrommeath

Thanks very much for this reply. We didn't apply yet, I am just looking for as much information as possible before we do.
    Yes I heard they are looking for 3-5 years trading history, which I dont have. So I think my wife may have to apply by herself.

Delighted its working out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 IamCait

Thanks very much for this reply. We didn't apply yet, I am just looking for as much information as possible before we do.
    Yes I heard they are looking for 3-5 years trading history, which I dont have. So I think my wife may have to apply by herself.

Delighted its working out for you.

Ye see I think that's what could be your issue right now, I'd imagine if you had another year under your belt they might be a little more lenient, having 3 would be perfect. No harm in shopping around, some banks are better than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

OP, you will have no problem getting a mortgage as a self employed sole trader once you can provide 2/3 years accounts. Some banks look for 3 years accounts while one I am aware of just look for 2 years. All the lenders will look for your Revenue Balancing statements as evidence of income for the previous 2/3 years. You will also need to submit 6 months business and personal current account and savings statements.

Based on the income you mentioned you should have no problem borrowing 180k once you have a good credit history and as a 2nd time buyer you have 20% deposit. Also if you cannot provide 2 years accounts you will qualify for a mortgage of 180k on your wife's income only - this will of course depend on your ages and if ye have no short term borrowings and have regular savings.
    Hope this helps.

Advertisement