Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Melrose (Sky Atlantic/Showtime)

• 04-01-2018 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭

Stars Benedict Cumberbatch as the titular upper-class character who journeys from a traumatic childhood through addiction and towards recovery.

Airs some time later this year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Have been wondering why they've held this back so long. Advertising it since Christmas.

I read the first book and found it quite disturbing.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,978 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Cumberbatch should make space for awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought that was a very good pilot. A lot more funny than I thought it would be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Cumberbatch is simply phenomenal throughout. It's an intense hour of TV and I was drained by the end of it, but in a good way. And plenty of laughs throughout, despite the dark subject matter. Well worth seeking out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thought it was a very tough watch. Quite different to the first novel, probably for the best. However, hard to feel sympathy (even with such an impressive performance) and I didn't laugh, just felt sorry for him.

Smallest hill: why cast a brown-eyed child to play someone who grows up to have blue eyes?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Now that was a grim dark episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭pedatron

Unearthly wrote: »
    Now that was a grim dark episode

Jesus his father is some absolute prick. Up there with the biggest c**ts I've ever witnessed on TV. I wanted to hit him the minute the episode started to the very end!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

This is simply fantastic television. Not easy to watch at times, hard to look away either.

Benedict Cumberbatch is going to get a lot of awards!

It's over now. Excellent show. Great acting all round. It will win a few awards for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

My favorite show so far this year.. Hard watch but brilliant all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Honestly this has been some of the most powerful stuff I've ever seen!

A shame there's only the 5 episodes as each have been utterly compelling!

I know I've already said it but surely it'll sweep the board in terms of awards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

Really enjoyed this. Cumberbatch was excellent. Episode 2 was especially hard to watch and had me in tears at parts. It was almost too short at 5 episodes yet just long enough as it left me wanting more. I’ll never look at Hugo weaving the same way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Moanyhole

i gave up after episode 2.

It was horrible to watch. Are the rest of the episodes as disturbing?

Cumberbatch is amazing...

Not sure whether to give it another chance or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Jaysus, had to turn this off half way through the second episode... just couldn't stomach it. I found myself getting very upset.

There's no doubting the quality of the show, the acting, the videography etc but... I just couldn't stomach it. I don't think I've ever felt so much viseral hatred for a fictional character than I did for the father. The mother also to a lesser extent for enabling his behaviour. I know she's clearly in a very abusive relationship but its not like she doesn't have the means to get the child out.

I really enjoy shows like the handmaids tale that are fairly grim/gruesome so didn't see myself having this kind of reaction to a TV programme... but there you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Oh god, I dread to think what other deprived depths he could drop to :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BrianJD

Wow. Not sure what to make of that series. It was fantastic but I don’t think I could say I enjoyed it. The acting from everyone was brilliant and I think it makes it quite special.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

The fact a lot of that **** actually happened makes it all the moment re disturbing. Hard watching but riveting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Stumbled across this on Sky box sets and thought I'd give it a go but didn't expect much as I had never heard of it. Wow. Really strong series. Dark and humorous. The acting was outstanding. Hugo Weaving was also outstanding. Actually, the whole cast was outstanding.

Advertisement