Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could there ever be tall skyscrapers in Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Not the first thread on this. I've long thought that Dublin could use the example of Paris. Nearly all of the centre of Paris is old buildings that people want to keep, but skyscrapers are permitted in a specific zone, La Défense. The tallest building there, Tour First, is 50 stories high. I don't see why Dublin couldn't do the same in the Docklands: IFSC, Grand Canal, etc.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mr321

hu4356 wrote: »
    As above.

Could there ever be skyscrapers like the Shard or Canary Wharf in London or one WTC in NYC?

I'm talking about nice tall buildings that would be about 80 - 100 storeys tall. Or a building with a symbolic height like 1916 feet.

Maybe in the Falklands or IFSC.

Would this ever be possible?

What do you think?

Yes I think there could be a couple I'm another 20 - 30 years.

They might also be in Cork or Galway also. Longford might even get a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It would look at bit silly poking into the cloud cover with a low rise city surrounding it.

Gotta start somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Forum moved to Dublin City. Please note new forum and possible different forum rules.

Thanks,

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 10,327 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

hu4356 wrote: »
    As above.

Could there ever be skyscrapers like the Shard or Canary Wharf in London or one WTC in NYC?

I'm talking about nice tall buildings that would be about 80 - 100 storeys tall. Or a building with a symbolic height like 1916 feet.

Maybe in the Docklands or IFSC.

Would this ever be possible?

What do you think?

Just to give you an idea of sizes; the Shard hits 70 storeys but only the lower 30 are of any size. One Canada Sq is 50 storeys and 8 and 25 Canada Sq are 44. One WTC is 1,776 ft but the top 100 ft or so are an antenna. Aiming for 15 storeys in Dublin would be good. 1916ft is probably unfinanceable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The exo is starting in a few weeks. 73m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

bear1 wrote: »
    The exo is starting in a few weeks. 73m

Horrendous looking building.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The renders don't look good but look how capital dock is turning out.
    Looked good on the renders but now looks like something from the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Marcusm wrote: »
    Just to give you an idea of sizes; the Shard hits 70 storeys but only the lower 30 are of any size. One Canada Sq is 50 storeys and 8 and 25 Canada Sq are 44. One WTC is 1,776 ft but the top 100 ft or so are an antenna. Aiming for 15 storeys in Dublin would be good. 1916ft is probably unfinanceable.
    To put that into perspective, the Shard is 300m+; we should be aiming for 150m-200m in the Docklands, 70m-100m in areas like Heuston and 50m-70m for replacements for Apollo/Hawkins house.

I don't think we'll see 300m+ in Dublin until we have flying cars :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There are plenty of high rise apartment/condo buildings all over the world & the quality of life in them can be exceptional. I know, because I used to live in one. Just because the Dublin Corporation made a piss poor job of urban planning with the Ballymun Flats in the 1960's, it doesn't mean that every single high development is doomed to failure for ever more.
    Agree. No enforcement of the tenancy agreements, and no intention by the tenants to adhere to their agreement doesn't help either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement