Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage rate

Options
  • 04-01-2018 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

18 months left on 5 year fixed term with AIB. Looking to re fix now to bring it up to 3 years, will they allow this? I'd be going into a lower rate

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Cant see why not but You will have to pay a breakage fee to get out of the remaining fixed term.
    Contact the bank and ask and they will also calculate the breakage fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

AIB customer service line is open until 9pm for reference tomorrow there is also a talk to forum IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You’ll have to pay a fee for coming out of the fixed period early (even if it is to go onto a fixed rate again).

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭glen123

You'll have to break from the existing fixed contract, which might mean a penalty for you. However, it might not. Whether there is a penalty or not depends on the cost of funds for the bank at the time when your mortgage was taken out.

I was also fixed with EBS when they introduced lower fixed rates. I rang them to check what it would cost to exist the existing fixed rate straight away as I wanted to see if penalty would be less than savings if I signed up for the lower fixed rate straight away and it transpired that in my case the penalty was zero. I was able to go into the branch with the letter requesting to exit the existing fixed term contract and filled out another form to fix again at a lower rate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement