Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana tweets ....

Options
  • 04-01-2018 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/948888843436077057

Read it and weep ...... This from the upholders of law in Ireland...
    What chance do we have , when they post such derisive and stupid stuff, designed to drive the wedge deeper between people in cars, and people on bikes !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Makes you wonder who is in charge of this sort of stuff, or if it's reviewed by senior officers. It is amateurish and trying to score points - not something the AGS should pride itself on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Registered Users Posts: 4 HappyHiker

Disgraceful tweet IMO. Which they are now trying to defend as an effort to "get people talking"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Some of the comments are priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Sealioning
    A subtle form of trolling involving "bad-faith" questions. You disingenuously frame your conversation as a sincere request to be enlightened, placing the burden of educating you entirely on the other party. If your bait is successful, the other party may engage, painstakingly laying out their logic and evidence in the false hope of helping someone learn. In fact you are attempting to harass or waste the time of the other party, and have no intention of truly entertaining their point of view. Instead, you react to each piece of information by misinterpreting it or requesting further clarification, ad nauseum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What did sealions do to be associated with such naughtiness?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What did sealions do to be associated with such naughtiness?
    Nothing. This is the origin story.

a5b.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Morto for the person running the Garda Twitter account. Might as well give the job to whoever is behind the PaddyPower Twitter. Actually, they would have more tact!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,418 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Morto for the person running the Garda Twitter account. Might as well give the job to whoever is behind the PaddyPower Twitter. Actually, they would have more tact!
    Might then be able to do a deal on predicting the next Garda Commissioner:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It’s not even a balanced poll. It’s stupid, and the results will be meaningless, but potentially divisive/polaisin if published.

Sad day for impartial governance / effective enforcement if they have to resort to Twitter to find out what they should focus resources on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Brilliant Illustration of the concept! Thanks Lumen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Tbh I can't see with the problem and it is an interesting question. My initial thought was obviously cyclists running red is more dangerous but starting to question that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A better poll might be who causes more accidents, cyclists going through red lights vs cars doing the same into a Luas tram.

Also Deliveroo cyclists should be excluded on the basis of prejudice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tbh I can't see with the problem and it is an interesting question.
    it's a bloody stupid question on so many levels.
    why didn't they ask (as multiple people have) whether a car running a red or a cyclist running a red are worse?

it's a bloody stupid question on so many levels.
    why didn't they ask (as multiple people have) whether a car running a red or a cyclist running a red are worse?

They've had a lot of tweets about ticketing people for blocking cycle lanes with vehicles and received a lot of stick from people saying the usual cyclists always break reds etc. It just continuing that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Tbh I can't see with the problem and it is an interesting question. My initial thought was obviously cyclists running red is more dangerous but starting to question that now.

The two have nothing remotely to do with each other. Stupid comparison to attempt.

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The two have nothing remotely to do with each other. Stupid comparison to attempt.

As above. It was a running conversation where people kept replying to the posts of ticketing cars blocking cycle lane moaning about cyclists running red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Moronic tweet. No context and two unrelated options. Pure **** stirring.

Id like to see some stats of accidents caused by red light jumpers

(Not condoning)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Kaisr Sose wrote:
    It’s not even a balanced poll. It’s stupid, and the results will be meaningless, but potentially divisive/polaisin if published.

Not so much stupid as inflammatory almost. I've always believed the problem here ( as with most things in this country ) is the complete lack of enforcement. The Gardai are just not interested in general.

rushfan wrote: »
    The Gardai are just not interested in general.

What are they not interested in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Enforcement!!

rushfan wrote: »
    Enforcement!!

Enforcement of what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Enforcement, obviously.

I've lost all faith in the gardaí. I completely understand from a law-abiding (or self-ignoring) motorist's point of view that cyclists are "always breaking red lights" but it's just confirmation bias at play.

If only they could see what a cyclist sees. Phone use at the wheel is getting absolutely and completely rampant, skipping traffic in bus lanes and hard shoulders while buzzing or tailgating cyclists is something I now witness daily. My definition of a close pass these days is a foot, anything more seems courteous. Yes I see cyclists breaking red lights, but it is the minority.

I've banged on about it before but I was hit last year and had footage of an illegal turn with no indication and still the gardaí wouldn't bother.

And then they tweet this. Ugh.

Danbo! wrote: »
    Enforcement, obviously.

I've lost all faith in the gardaí. I completely understand from a law-abiding (or self-ignoring) motorist's point of view that cyclists are "always breaking red lights" but it's just confirmation bias at play.

If only they could see what a cyclist sees. Phone use at the wheel is getting absolutely and completely rampant, skipping traffic in bus lanes and hard shoulders while buzzing or tailgating cyclists is something I now witness daily. My definition of a close pass these days is a foot, anything more seems courteous. Yes I see cyclists breaking red lights, but it is the minority.

I've banged on about it before but I was hit last year and had footage of an illegal turn with no indication and still the gardaí wouldn't bother.

And then they tweet this. Ugh.

This tweet originates from the fact the Guards have clamped down on blocking cycle lanes in the last 10 days.

Absolutely there is tonnes more the Guards can clamp down on and they are under resourced but I've seen far more enforcement over the last few months pulling over both cars and cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This tweet originates from the fact the Guards have clamped down on blocking cycle lanes in the last 10 days.

Absolutely there is tonnes more the Guards can clamp down on and they are under resourced but I've seen far more enforcement over the last few months pulling over both cars and cyclists.

The "Under Resourced" line is bollix.

We're an office that requires 60 staff, but Jane called in sick so we'll do nothing till she gets back next wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Not saying the tweet was very helpful but I think the point they were trying to make was that both actions are illegal and dangerous.

So they're trying, a bit clumsily granted, to tell both "sides" to get their own sh1t sorted before moaning about the other side.

That's great that you've seen it but the main reason for this step-up in enforcement stemmed from an online campaign, whereby the gardaí proudly announced they had tickets 400-odd cars in cycle lanes in a year and Stayin' Alive at 1.5 found more examples in a week. So the gardaí ticketed a few and posted some tweets.

The issue here is the divisive tweet which is a ridiculous comparison. They are two offences, both illegal, so why bother ask the public which is worse?

I'm going to leave this form now because I don't think I'll be able to convince you guys otherwise. I cycle more than I drive but would do both daily. I have to say I feel for the guards. They can do no right. Unfortunately, there are two extremes the drivers who think they rule the road and cyclists have no right and then the cyclists who feel they are constantly the victim. Most people don't fall into these extremes but unfortunately those that do tend to be the most vocal. Some of the posts here to me just scream we're the victim or else are from people who don't know where the tweet originates from and just jumps in to get annoyed for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Gardai release the identity of former staff member responsible for mischievous Twitter poll...

1050627527.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm going to leave this form now because I don't think I'll be able to convince you guys otherwise. I cycle more than I drive but would do both daily. I have to say I feel for the guards. They can do no right. Unfortunately, there are two extremes the drivers who think they rule the road and cyclists have no right and then the cyclists who feel they are constantly the victim. Most people don't fall into these extremes but unfortunately those that do tend to be the most vocal. Some of the posts here to me just scream we're the victim or else are from people who don't know where the tweet originates from and just jumps in to get annoyed for the sake of it.

That's a fair point, and my comment "So the gardaí ticketed a few and posted some tweets" was likely a little harsh, but it is very frustrating. A serious rise in cyclist fatalities, when all others are falling, and it takes a campaign focussing on one offence to get them moving. In their favour, they did get moving, but it just seems like two steps back now with this tweet.

Advertisement