Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana tweets ....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Although I say that they're not interested etc, I would never lose faith in them. Last year I had cause to call them round to the house as some dickhead had blocked the driveway and they were A1. Through my job I have had much interaction with them and again some are positive, most are not. For many years I have watched some Super banging on about "numerous Garda checkpoints " in the lead up to Xmas, yet I drive as much as anyone and never come across one. Not that there's too many during the rest of the year either. How many times have you seen a Garda enforcing junction box situations? They don't have too spend the day at it, 5 mins every hour would suffice. Cars in the bus lanes? Work away. That's just a couple of examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

rushfan wrote: »
    How many times have you seen a Garda enforcing junction box situations? They don't have too spend the day at it, 5 mins every hour would suffice. Cars in the bus lanes? Work away. That's just a couple of examples.

I've seen guards enforcing bus lanes quite frequently. Probably at least once a month and I don't even drive that often.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Although I say that they're not interested etc, I would never lose faith in them.
    I have had much interaction with them and again some are positive, most are not.
    reading your post, i find it hard to reconcile your two statements.
    to be fair, it's understandable to state that you have general trust in the gardai on an individual basis, but not as an organisation.

I've seen guards enforcing bus lanes quite frequently. Probably at least once a month and I don't even drive that often.

Welcome back ðŸ˜. Once a month? Does it act as a deterrent? Fair enough if so, but where I am in NCD, it doesn't happen unfortunately.

reading your post, i find it hard to reconcile your two statements. to be fair, it's understandable to state that you have general trust in the gardai on an individual basis, but not as an organisation.

I think you always have to try and be optimistic and hope the next experience with them is positive. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Usually depends on the individual.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

They've had a lot of tweets about ticketing people for blocking cycle lanes with vehicles and received a lot of stick from people saying the usual cyclists always break reds etc. It just continuing that conversation.
    'it's just continuing that conversation'.
    you did read the post about sealioning; about presenting a stupid comparison as 'hey, it's a serious question'? what conversation is there about the relative seriousness of either offence, other than the one they've invented?

all they're doing is tapping into the stupid whataboutery debate which cyclist vs. motorist debates usually descend into and presenting it as if it's valid and relevant. they're pouring petrol on the flames and claiming 'we didn't start this'. but what makes this different is that this is not george hook doing this, it's the very people whose job it is to enforce the law. it's amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭KaneToad

ED E wrote: »
    The "Under Resourced" line is bollix..

Garda Inspectorate Report - Changing Policing in Ireland

The report found there are too many fully-trained gardaí sitting behind desks.

It said at least 1,500 and possibly up to 2,000 fully-trained gardaí could be taken out of offices to police the country, with 500 of those in Garda Headquarters.

The Policing Authority has said Garda progress on civilianisation of non-frontline roles in the force has been "disappointing and frustrating".

The criticism was made in a report by the authority to Tánaiste Frances Fitzgerald.

The authority noted that Garda authorities have so far identified as few as 161 members in posts that could see them replaced by civilians. That's far short of a 1,500 target set by the Garda Inspectorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

What are they not interested in?

Enforcing the RTA. I have seen Garda pass cars parked on Double Yellow lines, cars on pavements, in cycle lanes etc etc. I have reported a bus and artic for parking overnight on the Enniskerry Road-no tickets issued. Garda agree there is no parking there.

I have went to Garda with clear footage of dangerous pass, threatened assault of me by a motorist, and they do nothing. I got threatened with a summons for giving a motorist the finger. That same motorist pulled out from a side road in front of me. After I gave him the finger, he did a u-turn, sped after me, wedged me in to the kerb, got out and threw a punch at me. The Garda were called by this irate motorist and I was threatened with a summons under the public order act - yet this guy could have killed me while driving and also assaulted me. I had it all recorded and the Garda were not interested.

When I start to see them stopping turning a blind eye to poor driving that is likely to cause injury and other things, I will revise my opinion of an Garda.

all they're doing is tapping into the stupid whataboutery debate which cyclist vs. motorist debates usually descend into and presenting it as if it's valid and relevant. they're pouring petrol on the flames and claiming 'we didn't start this'. but what makes this different is that this is not george hook doing this, it's the very people whose job it is to enforce the law. it's amazing.

Exactly as I said in my first post, it's inflammatory, totally unnecessary, and doesn't achieve anything positive. And I believe George is back on the air next week or so. God help us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Danbo! wrote: »
    The issue here is the divisive tweet which is a ridiculous comparison. They are two offences, both illegal, so why bother ask the public which is worse?

Consulting the wisdom of the mob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I rarely see it on the N11, in car or on bike. When they do enforce, they usually pull the cars into the grade seperated cycle lane to ticket them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I rarely see it on the N11, in car or on bike. When they do enforce, they usually pull the cars into the grade seperated cycle lane to ticket them!

I've seen them twice in the last 18 months on the N11 just before Leopardstown Road in-bound and that section is rife with motorists jumping into the bus lane to turn left onto Leopardstown Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

So...what was the result of the Poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How many times have you seen a Garda enforcing junction box situations? They don't have too spend the day at it, 5 mins every hour would suffice. Cars in the bus lanes? Work away. That's just a couple of examples.

60 Euro fine and no penalty points? I know polenty if people willing to pay the 60 Euro monthly charge fir using bus lanes and saving a couple of hours a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

As if my distain and lack of respect for these corrupt, unaccountable f**ks couldnt get any lower. Absolute pondlife is all they are. Worse than the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

terrydel wrote: »
    As if my distain and lack of respect for these corrupt, unaccountable f**ks couldnt get any lower. Absolute pondlife is all they are. Worse than the criminals.
    Be sure to not hold back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I think you always have to try and be optimistic and hope the next experience with them is positive. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. Usually depends on the individual.

You see, that is just not right. You should expect and demand that every experience (unless you are on the receiving end of their attention for an offence committed) is positive. Why should you expect any less than this?

Beasty wrote: »
    Might then be able to do a deal on predicting the next Garda Commissioner:pac:

It'll be another corrupt, evil prick like the last two.

ted1 wrote: »
    Be sure to not hold back there.

I wont, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Tbh I can't see with the problem and it is an interesting question. My initial thought was obviously cyclists running red is more dangerous but starting to question that now.

Have you ever been run over by a car parked in a cycle lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Looking at the overall context it's clear the intention was to go, "Ah! Trick Question! All rules should be obeyed!", but whoever decided to run with it is completely lacking in any practical experience or awareness of the attitudes out there.

Imagine the ECNI putting up a poll saying, "Who is worse? Catholics? or Protestants?", and then trying to use that to launch a "discussion".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

begbysback wrote: »
    Have you ever been run over by a car parked in a cycle lane?
    On the other hand, motorists parking cars in the cycle lane force vulnerable road users into traffic. RLJ's are usually more putting themselves at risk (even in a pedestrian/ cyclist collision), where as motorists parking in cycle lanes/ double yellows/ on pavements are putting someone else more in harms way.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

07Lapierre wrote: »
    So...what was the result of the Poll?

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/948888843436077057

Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    You see, that is just not right. You should expect and demand that every experience (unless you are on the receiving end of their attention for an offence committed) is positive. Why should you expect any less than this?

I'm sure you've read the entire thread, if not, see post no 32. Expecting a positive experience is all very fine, doesn't mean you'll get one. If only.

I'm sure you've read the entire thread, if not, see post no 32. Expecting a positive experience is all very fine, doesn't mean you'll get one. If only.

Yes but if you have to resort to wishing for one then there is something very wrong.

Are cyclists the Victor Meldrews of commuters?

The tweet, maybe misjudged, but is harm less.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

what a way to burn your 1000th post

Harm less what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Macy0161 wrote: »
    On the other hand, motorists parking cars in the cycle lane force vulnerable road users into traffic. RLJ's are usually more putting themselves at risk (even in a pedestrian/ cyclist collision), where as motorists parking in cycle lanes/ double yellows/ on pavements are putting someone else more in harms way.

I guess that was the point of the tweet - to view from an alternative perspective, i don't get why cyclists jump down the throat of stuff like this just because it may initially appear to make them out as the villains

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    what a way to burn your 1000th post

Is posts count a metre for you?

Advertisement