Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana tweets ....

Options

Comments

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Harm less what?

Not sure if serious?

It makes no harm.
    Hurts no body.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

it's a bloody stupid question on so many levels.
    why didn't they ask (as multiple people have) whether a car running a red or a cyclist running a red are worse?

Why would you distinguish between them?
    Isn't that equally driving a wedge and enabling the "least worst" result of the vote.

In both cases running red lights is stupid and puts lives at risk. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

begbysback wrote: »
    I guess that was the point of the tweet - to view from an alternative perspective, i don't get why cyclists jump down the throat of stuff like this just because it may initially appear to make them out as the villains
    Because it presents an A/B scenario, i.e. "One of these things is worse than the other". Which then logically follows that more focus should be given to one over the other in terms of policing.

The Gardai and Road Safety Authority have a history of statements about cycling that are at odds with international best practice, and those who oppose cycling (yes, they exist) use these statements as fuel.

While the intention of this tweet was supposed to be benign, it's actually a textbook loaded question; there is no right answer. If they had simply included a third option - "Neither; all road users should respect eachother", it would have been far less contentious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

GreeBo wrote: »
    Isn't that equally driving a wedge and enabling the "least worst" result of the vote.

The degree of risk is very different in each case though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »

True, but to be fair...RED is RED and all road users should respect that.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

How exactly?

In both cases someone is risking being hit and killed.
    If a car breaks a red they risk running over a bike, if a bike breaks a red they risk being run over by a car.

TBH this reeks of defending cyclists breaking reds.
    "Shure they arent hurting anyone"

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Lusk_Doyle wrote:
    Yes but if you have to resort to wishing for one then there is something very wrong.

Honestly, is your EVERY experience with AGS positive? I should point out that I've no convictions of any sort, nor any pending, never had penalty points, I'm the type who stops the bike at red lights etc, I've had many many interactions with them via work etc, some are positive, some are not. There are people in all walks of life who are not interested in their job , mine included.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Granolite

Not sure if serious?

It makes no harm.
    Hurts no body.
    Not sure if serious?

It makes no harm.
    Hurts no body.

You are, respectfully, deluded in that case. It does hurt people in perpetuating a culture of effective `victim blaming' and encourages a bias in thinking in society at large that people cycling are inherently a cohort of rule breaker's equivocal to the danger posed by poor driving (I'll leave aside the air pollution issue) and stymies any real progress in tackling the real danger presented by dangerous driving on the roads.

How else can you explain the sort of detestable court decision's in this country that have for years allowed drivers who kill and severely maim on our roads off the hook from appropriate sentencing for their crimes other than the delusion you and others who share your way of thinking in society bring to this discussion;

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-several-drivers-avoided-jail-after-being-convicted-of-causing-death-36460558.html

5.6kWp - SW (220 degrees) - North Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    True, but to be fair...RED is RED and all road users should respect that.

True, but to be fair... ALL types of road users break red lights yet only one group of road users is being targeted by our national police force's social media division.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    True, but to be fair... ALL types of road users break red lights yet only one group of road users is being targeted by our national police force's social media division.

Agreed...we need better enforcement for ALL road users..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Is posts count a metre for you?

if there are 100 of them and they are 1cm each then, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess that was the point of the tweet - to view from an alternative perspective, i don't get why cyclists jump down the throat of stuff like this just because it may initially appear to make them out as the villains
    It was divisive, and further propagates the false equivalence between motoring offences and cycling offences. That's why.

Which is exactly the point for not trying to differentiate between them.

They are both equally stupid, illegal & dangerous.

Have you ever been run over by a car parked in a cycle lane?

I know 2 people who have been seriously injured by a car parked in a cycle lane. Albeit neither case is recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Once upon a time height was the principal qualification to enter the Gardai.....but that qualification has been removed in recent years.

Which is exactly the point for not trying to differentiate between them.

They are both equally stupid, illegal & dangerous.

equally dangerous? Really?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was not a suggestion that they proceed with my comparison, more a 'if they're making stupid comparisons, why didn't they go with a more obvious one?'

1bryan wrote: »

Equally illegal.

Yes a cyclist who ignores a red light at a pedestrian crossing, when the light is Red and there's nobody crossing, is not really risking life and limb, but its still illegal and certainly adds to the "Them and us" row.

In the same way a car that does the same thing is also probably not going to harm anyone, but both are illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Once upon a time height was the principal qualification to enter the Gardai.....but that qualification has been removed in recent years.

Its now willingness to turn a blind eye to corruption.

Yes, in both cases someone has an increased risk of dying.
    In most cases that wont be the driver of the car, but in both cases *someones* life is being put at risk, whether that be the cyclist or a pedestrian or perhaps the driver who has to swerve to avoid the cyclist.

Do you only consider things dangerous from one point of view?

• Advertisement

In most cases that wont be the driver of the car, but in both cases *someones* life is being put at risk, whether that be the cyclist or a pedestrian or perhaps the driver who has to swerve to avoid the cyclist.

They are not equally dangerous because they don't carry an equally increased risk of injury or death.

Case in point; I've been hit by a cyclist and I walked away unscathed. Something tells me the outcome would have been different if it was a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Exiled1 wrote: »

Many years ago, when I was thinking of joining AGS, I mentioned it to a friend.
    He looked at me and said "Well you're tall enough, but are you thick enough?"

They are not equally dangerous because they don't carry an equally increased risk of injury or death.

Case in point; I've been hit by a cyclist and I walked away unscathed. Something tells me the outcome would have been different if it was a car.

What about the RLJ cyclist who is hit by a car or causes a car crash due to avoidance?

You are only assigning "danger" to the person choosing to break the lights, there are other people on the road and the dangerousness includes all of their outcomes, not just the numpty breaking the lights.

you said 'equally' dangerous. Please explain how they are 'equally' dangerous. Obviously both cases are dangerous, but please explain how you can equate the danger levels of a car breaking a red pedestrian light with pedestrians crossing, with a cyclist doing likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Not sure if serious?

It makes no harm.
    Hurts no body.

Oh, harmless. Now, I sea.

What about the RLJ cyclist who is hit by a car or causes a car crash due to avoidance?

You are only assigning "danger" to the person choosing to break the lights, there are other people on the road and the dangerousness includes all of their outcomes, not just the numpty breaking the lights.

That's not who I'm assigning danger to; I'm very much talking about other road users. That's why I used a personal example of where I was another road user.

So to be crystal clear; a cyclist breaking a red light and a motorist breaking a red light aren't equally dangerous because they don't carry an equally increased risk of injury or death to others. In the general scheme of things, someone hit by a car breaking a red light is going to fare worse than someone hit by a bike breaking a red light.

you said 'equally' dangerous. Please explain how they are 'equally' dangerous. Obviously both cases are dangerous, but please explain how you can equate the danger levels of a car breaking a red pedestrian light with pedestrians crossing, with a cyclist doing likewise.

I literally just did in the post above yours.

Again, you are only assigning danger to the party breaking the lights, thats fine in a closed system. On roads with other humans you have to take the overall outcome into consideration.

That's not who I'm assigning danger to; I'm very much talking about other road users. That's why I used a personal example of where I was another road user.

So to be crystal clear; a cyclist breaking a red light and a motorist breaking a red light aren't equally dangerous because they don't carry an equally increased risk of injury or death to others. In the general scheme of things, someone hit by a car breaking a red light is going to fare worse than someone hit by a bike breaking a red light.

So you see a difference between a crash involving a cyclist and a car depending on which one of them broke the light?

Liability has nothing to do with the outcome or the risk involved.

Why are you solely focusing on the cyclist hitting a pedestrian, what about the collisions the cyclist is exposing themselves to?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It was divisive, and further propagates the false equivalence between motoring offences and cycling offences. That's why.
    Posted just before the thread decended into an argument about offence equivalence... This is why the tweet was stupid.

• Advertisement

I literally just did in the post above yours.

Again, you are only assigning danger to the party breaking the lights, thats fine in a closed system. On roads with other humans you have to take the overall outcome into consideration.

it was the 'other humans' that I was specifically thinking of. In the current example, pedestrians. Now please explain how a situation where a car can drive into a bunch of pedestrians following a RLJ can be considered equally as dangerous as a cyclist doing likewise.

Advertisement