Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Garda Siochana tweets ....

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

07Lapierre wrote: »
    When it comes to turning left, yes.
    If a pedestrian crossing is clear? yes, why not?

In fact I see no reason why motorists couldn't turn left on red "if safe to do so". In the USA, cars can turn right when lights are red, but Pedestrians still have right-of-way and that shouldn't change.

But I'm sure you would agree that that's a different argument (one I happen to agree with)

However, until the laws are changed to allow it, no one should be doing it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've edited or deleted a few bickering posts. if you want to argue about each other's debating styles, take it to PM please.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

And even after all the backlash ,not a mention of 'their' reasoning behind the tweet (apart from trying to get people to talk about it!?!!) today.

They just tweeted the result !
    Its embarrassing to see a Nations Police Force use the topic of CarVsCyclist for clickbait ..... It beggars belief really.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it actually a uniformed garda or gardai maintaining the account?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

GreeBo wrote: »
    But I'm sure you would agree that that's a different argument (one I happen to agree with)

Already have agreed:
    07Lapierre wrote: »
    True, but to be fair...RED is RED and all road users should respect that.

• Advertisement

It might one of their 8 year old children ......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just curious - do you ever break the speed limit while you're driving?

They have said in the past that it was manned by uniformed traffic gardai - not certain if that is still the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'll pay what ever the fine is, I always stop on reds, I give way to pedestrians. If I can get ahead of traffic I will. I'm not going to leave myself in a vulnerable position with a HGV turning left (or car for that matter), while we both wait on a red and common sense tells me to go, get the fúck out of dodge. The same goes for me where it's more common sense to just get off the bike and walk, like around College Green around the Luas tracks.

I don't agree with cyclists completely flying past red lights. What shocks me more as a cyclist and a motorist is the amount of cyclists without adequate lighting or none at all, nothing reflective like a highvis. What outrages me even more, is when I see that they are 'Just Eat' or 'Deliveroo' cyclists, do these companies not have any type of morals. Sending people out with there branding on death missions, without even a set of fúcking lights.

Just curious - do you ever break the speed limit while you're driving?

Cheese or cake after dinner?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Everyone breaks the law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Lumen wrote: »
    Everyone breaks the law.

Prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Prove it.
    Well, it's a British story, but:
    Top 20 crimes we commit

1. Speeding

2. Talking on a mobile/texting while driving

3. Dropping litter

4. Illegally downloading music

5. Cycling on pavements

6. Eating or drinking while driving

7. Having sex in a public place

8. Parking partly on a pavement

9. Taking drugs

10. Not wearing a seatbelt

11. Having sex under the age of 16

12. Parking on double yellow lines

13. Cycling with lights after dark

14. Not cleaning up dog poo

15. Smoking in a public place

16. Driving through a red light

17. Not having a TV license

18. Not informing the DVLA of a change of address/name

19. Taking a child out of school for a holiday without the head's permission

20. Carry an offensive weapon
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/3044794/How-we-all-break-the-law-every-day.html

13 is a typo I assume!

The average Briton breaks the law every day, according to a survey.

What's an average Briton in this context?

What's an average Briton in this context?
    I imagine a kind of mono-breasted hermaphrodite, bald on top with a half-beard, chilling out on its prayer mat watching X-Factor after a round of game shooting.

........ and another thread goes arse over tits with the usual smart-alec sh1te .....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,069 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cheese or cake after dinner?

Eton Mess. But what's that got to do with this issue.

I was just checking out that when you say "until the laws are changed to allow it, no one should be doing it" in relation to cyclists breaking red lights, do you routinely break speed limits like the vast majority of drivers? That will help to add some context to your 'zero tolerance' approach to cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭onmebike

I'm pretty sure it's about two non-Gardaí in the press/communications office.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The spoof account nearly got me, although I did laugh when I read it thinking they just had enough up at Phoenix Park and thought, F it, let's troll for the craic.
    Prove it.
    tomasrojo wrote: »
    Well, it's a British story, but:

13 is a typo I assume!

I was about to say I don't and then read the list, 10 out of 20 of them committed in my lifetime so far. Not as innocent as I thought. Pretty sure most of them are an offence here as well. I am so ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

CramCycle wrote: »
    The spoof account nearly got me, although I did laugh when I read it thinking they just had enough up at Phoenix Park and thought, F it, let's troll for the craic.

I was about to say I don't and then read the list, 10 out of 20 of them committed in my lifetime so far. Not as innocent as I thought. Pretty sure most of them are an offence here as well. I am so ashamed.

I have to admit to 18, and if you change not informing the DVLA to getting an extra month out of your Tax, I would have to plead to 19.
    And when I was under 16, I'm not sure that sex had been invented.
    And in my defence, one of them wasn't an offence, when I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm sort of guilty of 18 too but I looked it up before and it doesn't seem to be an offence here. Actually, I gave the RSA the correct address, and they "corrected" it to its current form, so I can't be arsed.

Everyone must be guilty of illegal duplication or access to music at some stage in their lives?

• Advertisement

and don't forget #1 and #9 can be the same.

i'm not sure 'smoking in a public place' is illegal. well, i guess they've just badly worded that too.

If there's any of those crimes I haven't committed it wasn't through lack of effort.

and don't forget #1 and #9 can be the same.

i'm not sure 'smoking in a public place' is illegal. well, i guess they've just badly worded that too.

Relates to hospitals, gov't buildings and the like as opposed to in public.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    And when I was under 16, I'm not sure that sex had been invented.

Did the stork deliver you to mammy and daddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Did the stork deliver you to mammy and daddy?

Immaculate conception!

Advertisement