Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda recuitment

• 04-01-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi just looking for help....I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I'm thinking of applying for the Guards whenever the next recruitment comes.I have 2 kids and a mortgage and my partner is a stay at home mom. What I'm just wondering if it was a thing I got into the guards ,when I would be put on placement would they take me having a family into account and try and base me near home or could I be sent to the other side of the country hours away from home. Any information would be great if ye have ever been in same situation or know someone who has....Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭diddlybo

dude23 wrote: »
    Hi just looking for help....I know I'm jumping the gun a bit but I'm thinking of applying for the Guards whenever the next recruitment comes.I have 2 kids and a mortgage and my partner is a stay at home mom. What I'm just wondering if it was a thing I got into the guards ,when I would be put on placement would they take me having a family into account and try and base me near home or could I be sent to the other side of the country hours away from home. Any information would be great if ye have ever been in same situation or know someone who has....Thanks

When you go on your placement it will be to the station that will be in permanently unless you put in for a transfer which you can apply for after 3 years. You can ask to be stationed in a certain area, but you're not guaranteed to be put there. Also you will have no chance of being put in an area if it's within 80K of your home station. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭JKerova1

I'm in a very similar situation. It seems like it's just a question of whether it is worth taking the risk. You will have to sit down with your family and discuss it. Personally I am in a stable job that pays okay (salary has scale of up to 40k and I am on 35k now) but I have over thirty years ahead of me doing work that is pretty soul destroying. I know eventually I will be on better money but will have years of financial hardship first. I still have physical, etc to go so have time to weigh it up. Having spoken to the local super and sergeant it seems that more and more people are joining now while in their 30's, it's not like years ago when most recruits came straight out of school or college. I wish you well in your decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dude23

Ya I spoke it over with herself and I'll apply anyway and see how I get on no guarantee I'll get accepted but fingers crossed I do....I know financially we'll be tight but hopefully it'll be worth it after a few years thanksðŸ‘

Advertisement