Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New built house - when to start paying utility bills

Options
  • 04-01-2018 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,
    My husband and I, signed the contracts to buy a new house in an estate in October. The house was already built and it was just a matter of choosing the finishes wich we were very quick . (choosing the flooring, tilling and all other finishes)
    We were told that everything would be completed until the second week of January.
    Last Saturday we went to check on the property, because we were having some suspicions, and realized that nothing was done, the same dirty mug was sitting on the window sill and all our flooring and tilling boxes were scattered around the living room ( we saw this through the window)
    Two days ago I sent an email to the builder and today I got a reply saying that nothing was done because we did not activate electricity and gas, so he could not do anything in the house.
    Is this a common thing, or even legal?
    We are currently renting so our idea was to transfer the utilities when we move.
    All of our friends that bought a new build house only had to change the names on the utilities when they got the keys.
    Could anyone give us any advice regarding this situation? We do not think it is fair to be paying the bills for something that we will not have control on it.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aranidirlíon

Sounds like BS from the builder. You should follow up through your solicitor. The house isn't handed over to you until you get a completion notice form the builder, you complete snagging and the final mortgage draw down / legals have been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Poppycati wrote: »
    I got a reply saying that nothing was done because we did not activate electricity and gas, so he could not do anything in the house.

Absolute rubbish. Hes bluffing. You do not become responsible for said utilities until you take ownership of the house.

Advertisement