Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossing a cycle lane solid white line

Options
  • 04-01-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

A discussion in work arose regarding whether a cyclist can legally enter or exit a cycle lane which is bounded by a solid white line.

Ie. What is known as a mandatory cycle lane (I know it isn't mandatory anymore).

However people were willing to accept you did not have to use the 'mandatory' cycle lane anymore. However they argued that you could neither enter or exit the lane which had a solid white line as it is illegal to cross a solid line on a bike or any vehicle except for access. This, they argue would only be possible at dashed locations.

Is this true, and if not is there any legal instruments outlined the exception for cyclists?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do those clauses not apply only to MPVs? Same way the blood alcohol and speed limits do not apply to cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭cc

Turning right might be a bit of an issue if that were the case

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭mistermatthew

cc wrote: »
    Turning right might be a bit of an issue if that were the case

This is covered by the except for access clause. Same as for motor vehicles crossing solid centre line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The white line along a cycle lane means motor vehicles can't enter it, similar to the line of a bus lane designating it for buses/taxis only.

It's not the same thing as a continuous white line down the middle of a road which indicates no overtaking.

Edit: no source on this, just that it's always been my assumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

ED E wrote: »
    Do those clauses not apply only to MPVs? Same way the blood alcohol and speed limits do not apply to cycles.

Actually you can’t ride a bike on a public road while under the influence.

“A Garda can arrest you without a warrant:

If you are riding a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs so that you do not have proper control of the bicycle“

“If you are convicted of riding a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, you are liable on summary conviction to a class C fine.”

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Hi All,

A discussion in work arose regarding whether a cyclist can legally enter or exit a cycle lane which is bounded by a solid white line.

Ie. What is known as a mandatory cycle lane (I know it isn't mandatory anymore).
    Mandatory in this context refers to drivers' observation of the lane, and their mandate to stay out of it.
    However people were willing to accept you did not have to use the 'mandatory' cycle lane anymore. However they argued that you could neither enter or exit the lane which had a solid white line as it is illegal to cross a solid line on a bike or any vehicle except for access. This, they argue would only be possible at dashed locations.

Is this true, and if not is there any legal instruments outlined the exception for cyclists?
    They are wrong. The line marking a mandatory cycle track (RRM 022) is a different road sign to other solid lines such as stop lines (RRM 017) or continuous centre lines (RRM 001). The statute books dictate that some lines explicitly should/must not be crossed, but there is no such clause associated with RRM 022.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bikedude wrote: »
    Actually you can’t ride a bike on a public road while under the influence.

“A Garda can arrest you without a warrant:

If you are riding a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs so that you do not have proper control of the bicycle“

“If you are convicted of riding a bicycle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, you are liable on summary conviction to a class C fine.”

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/cycling_offences.html

Re read my post bruv.

I didnt say drunk cycling was legal, but there is no prescribed limit. Its up to the Garda/Judge in question.

Cheers.

Will have a look at that.

cython wrote: »
    Mandatory in this context refers to drivers' observation of the lane, and their mandate to stay out of it.

They are wrong. The line marking a mandatory cycle track (RRM 022) is a different road sign to other solid lines such as stop lines (RRM 017) or continuous centre lines (RRM 001). The statute books dictate that some lines explicitly should/must not be crossed, but there is no such clause associated with RRM 022.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Fully licenced, insured and taxed motorists not knowing the law - who'd have thunk it?

As others have said, mandatory means no motorised vehicles are allowed in it, not about whether cyclists are allowed out of them.

Never enforced though, so we see parking, motorbikes/ scooters filtering up them, cars entering them to get around right turning cars in their lane etc etc.

To be fair, I am a driver as well as a cyclist and I didn't know. I know when I cycle I basically just do so in a way I think safest for myself.

There are a lot of linemarkings etc. when I'm driving that I wouldn't be 100% on what they're for.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Fully licenced, insured and taxed motorists not knowing the law - who'd have thunk it?

As others have said, mandatory means no motorised vehicles are allowed in it, not about whether cyclists are allowed out of them.

Never enforced though, so we see parking, motorbikes/ scooters filtering up them, cars entering them to get around right turning cars in their lane etc etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement