Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router bit question?

• 04-01-2018 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

I have a 1/4 Makita RT0700CX2 Router, I'm looking creating a few drawers with a 6.5mm bottom. Could someone recommend a bit to cut the groove please. I'm unsure of what size bit to get. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could make 2 passes with a smaller bit, or alternately, plane a shallow angle off the edge of the base

edit: good idea to leave a little room for expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 20 patchyamac

There's a bit set on iedepot "Slot Cutter 31.8mm" which would do the job,as cutting edges are 3mm,would require two passes.I also assume you could also pick it up as an individual purchase rather then buying the full set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The Duk wrote: »
    I have a 1/4 Makita RT0700CX2 Router, I'm looking creating a few drawers with a 6.5mm bottom. Could someone recommend a bit to cut the groove please. I'm unsure of what size bit to get. Thanks in advance

In general using a straight router cutter is not as clean as using a sawblade for grooving. If you have a table saw its actually easier to make two passes over the saw. If you are sure the base is 6.5 mm ( I always use a vernier gauge to check ) then you need a 7 mm bit unless you are going to chamfer the edges of the base. See www.wealdentool.com who are a little pricey but very good to deal with.

Advertisement