Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

oven repaired repeatedly..rights?

Options
  • 04-01-2018 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I bought an oven August 2016. Since then it has broken down 3 times. It has a 2 year guarantee, thank god, so service person is coming out again to fix it. Any idea as to my consumer rights..at what point am I entitled to ask for a new oven. I dread going over the 2 year mark and it breaking down again. I find appliances have a really short life..even the more expensive brands. TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are the failures the same or closely related?

If they are, you need to push the retailer on the fix not being permanent - after repair has been exhausted as a consumer right refund or replacement are the options.

The 2 year warranty doesn't outweigh consumer rights which give a period of up to 6 years to take a claim for manufacturing defects.

If they're all different the shop could argue they are fixing them as they come up - I'd still consider it unacceptable to have that many though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Hithere246

The first fault I think was the fan part of the oven and the second was the element. I have no clue really what else can go on an oven so I will wait and see what the repair person says this time. The electrical store said that they believe that the company will repair each fault 3 times before they will replace it..that sounds ridiculous as it would mean potentially replacing the element on 3 different occasions and the fan on 3 different occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I have a €2k laptop that's been sent to the UK for repairs 3 times now. Same boat really don't know what to do when it's passed it's warranty. The only thing I know is that after the repair the warranty was extended (not sure by how much, I think it reset back to 2 years), so maybe that's something you could request at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have a €2k laptop that's been sent to the UK for repairs 3 times now. Same boat really don't know what to do when it's passed it's warranty. The only thing I know is that after the repair the warranty was extended (not sure by how much, I think it reset back to 2 years), so maybe that's something you could request at least.

I wouldn't accept that either

Registered letter to the retailer pointing out that the repair has not been permanent and you wish to take either a refund or replacement (they can decide, you can't specify) - does the trick most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Is it still the retailers responsibility at that point though? The 3rd time I went through the retailer rather than the manufacturer themselves, they treated it just as the manufacturer did and opened a case with http://www.mendit.com/, who are a large authorized repair centre in the UK.

I guess the other point is that if a different piece breaks each time (computer or oven!) then they can just say repair number 1 was permanent, repair 2 was a different thing and is also permanent, and 3 is something else again :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement