Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would a post limit in threads be a good idea?

• 05-01-2018 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭

I am not just talking about boards but all online forums.

Myself I am pretty middle of the road on most subjects I would not describe myself as liberal left wing or right wing.
    I read a lot of the threads and I have found myself deleting posts I make so as not to seem to pitch my flag in either camp.

It is not just boards but I notice a minority of posters seem to post the vast majority of posts.

I think a two post per hour limit on posts per thread could help more moderate posters feel safer to post their opinions.
    If a poster posts a well thought out and balanced post many times it can get lost in the back and forward of the left vs right running battle.
    It might also help people explore other topics if you can only post in a thread twice per hour you might go and browse in the movies board for example.

Mind you there is a bit of back and forward going on there also about the new Star Wars movie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Just to add one more thing a post limit would force people to think more about what they are about to post.

Replies with emoticons only might start to disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

post again and your barred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Replies with emoticons only might start to disappear.

:rolleyes:

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,269 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

:(

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I don't think so.

What kind of limit would you suggest? 200, 500, 1000 posts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Did you think of the post here till the year... thread??? No, you only think of yourself.

Noveight wrote: »
    I don't think so.

What kind of limit would you suggest? 200, 500, 1000 posts?

Nah two posts per hour in any one thread is would stop a small number of posters dominating a subject with back and forward tinley veiled insults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Nah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You're on 4 there yourself in 22 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

See your
    And raise the stakes to
    5640bdaf247a6a651bba8fa9c279181a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's threads like this and the Slow Death of Forums that kill discussion boards. Just post FFS! If your post gets shot down so what, if it gets ignored boohoo, and if it gets 500 likes take the ego boost and run with it but stop bloody whinging and trying to make rules and regulations. You're probably too young to remember a time when they were things to be circumvented and broken and not sought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It's threads like this and the Slow Death of Forums that kill discussion boards. Just post FFS! If your post gets shot down so what, if it gets ignored boohoo, and if it gets 500 likes take the ego boost and run with it but stop bloody whinging and trying to make rules and regulations. You're probably too young to remember a time when they were things to be circumvented and broken and not sought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Maybe a minimum post count before you can post in AH would weed out the reregs and trolls that pop up from time to time

But don't see much point limiting normal users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maybe a minimum post count before you can post in AH would weed out the reregs and trolls that pop up from time to time

But don't see much point limiting normal users.

I have 8000+ posts and not a single one good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

When it turns into pointless arguments around page three it should be closed.
    Some of these thing continue for thousands of post,it can't be healthy for folk to be doing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

No, you would get longer posts. Very hard to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

No, you would get longer posts. Very hard to read.

Exactly, the same people would still post, it would be pages of multi quotes regarding yesterdays posts which everyone else has moved on from.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I am not just talking about boards but all online forums.

Myself I am pretty middle of the road on most subjects I would not describe myself as liberal left wing or right wing.
    I read a lot of the threads and I have found myself deleting posts I make so as not to seem to pitch my flag in either camp.

It is not just boards but I notice a minority of posters seem to post the vast majority of posts.

I think a two post per hour limit on posts per thread could help more moderate posters feel safer to post their opinions.
    If a poster posts a well thought out and balanced post many times it can get lost in the back and forward of the left vs right running battle.
    It might also help people explore other topics if you can only post in a thread twice per hour you might go and browse in the movies board for example.

Mind you there is a bit of back and forward going on there also about the new Star Wars movie.

Boards is slowly dying. Your suggestion would be like putting a pillow over its face and holding it there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

:eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

No OP. There should be no limit to someone's ability to post in a thread SO LONG AS those posts are constructive and add to the discussion.

Where posters degenerate to pointless tit for tat arguments with others that should be limited yes, but that's what we have moderation for.

The idea of creating safe spaces that limit discussion or what can be discussed is never a good thing.

Boards is slowly dying. Your suggestion would be like putting a pillow over its face and holding it there.

It was just and idea but I agree with your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

....... wrote: »

I actually spat up a little into my own mouth just writing my reply.

Also pooped a bit, though that may not be directly related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

No, not for most forums. Generally most folks can see when to get out and leave the train wreck to the one or two posters who can’t let go. On some forums, for example Werewolf, it would actually work against the forum

Advertisement