Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Beauty of 2017

Options
  • 05-01-2018 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭

I love threads like these. Shout out your best and worst beauty products for 2017.

Best:
    • Benefit's Galifornia blusher - I reach for it almost every day.
    • Kiko mascara, eyeliner and cc cream - I went mad in Kiko in Spain during the summer and loved these products. Will be repurchasing again this year on holidays.
    • I rediscovered an oldie - the Naked 1 palette - I've just found myself reaching for it constantly, it's quick and easy and covers my eyeshadow needs for most days.
    • Nivea Double Effect Eye makeup remover. Fantastic at removing eye makeup easily and doesn't irritate the eyes.
    Worst:
    • Elf products - I don't get the hype for them, I picked up a couple of things when they were launched in Superdrug and in particular I thought the primer was rubbish.
    • Catrice Eyeshadows - I'm a huge Catrice fan, (I cannot be without the liquid concealer and glam & doll mascara I always have a back up at home). But I picked up a limited edition eyeshadow palette during the Autumn and I found that the colour payoff was quite poor.
    • 2 Mascaras - Catrice Rock Couture mascara - a nightmare to take off. Wet n Wild Lash Renegade mascara - funky packaging but a nightmare to put on with its weird brush.
    Honourable Mention:
    The Ordinary - the range of products are over whelming - it's hard to figure out what you actually need and what suits your skin. But I've found that I'm loving the Hyaluronic Acid and the High Adherence primer. Both are nearly finished and new ones have been ordered. Wasn't gone on the silicone primer and I'm still on the fence about their foundations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Hits:

1. Huda Faux Filter Foundation - My holy grail. Very full coverage without looking caked, lovely matte finish without being drying. Lasts 16 hours without needing a touch up. Truly Amazing.

2. Mac Extra Dimensions Blusher - These never piqued my interest until an MUA (Jeanette Cronin, for anyone who cares) used them on me. WOW! Best blushers I've ever used. Particular love for the shades "just a pinch" and "into the pink".

3. Huda Warm Obsessions/Mauve Obsessions Pallets - These are phenomenal. Pigmented, excellent colour pay off, durability, easy to blend. The Mauve pallet in particular is fabulous.

4. AYU blending brush. The single best brush I've ever used for foundation. Blows every other brush I've used out of the park.

Honorable mentions: Lush Ultrabland cream cleanser, Lush Skindrink Moisturiser, Blank Canvas Master Series One Pallet, YSL Black Opium Perfume.

Sh*Ts

1. Urban Decay Heat Pallet - I know! I loved this when I first got it, and I still love the shimmer shades. But I find the rest of the colours too samey and similar to get any sort of depth in a look. Maybe its just me, and how I'm using it, but the last couple of times I used it, my eyes ended up just looking muddy and dirty. Thumbs down from me.

2. Liz Earl Hot Cloth Cleanser - I found this highly perfumed and extremely drying. Not a fan at all.

3. Mac Zoomlash - And all other Mac mascaras. They irritate the crap out of my eyes, are extremely watery and dry out fast. Won't be repurchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Best:
    1. Kiehls Blemish Control Spot Treatment - this stuff is amazing - dries spots out overnight. However, I have started using just Kiehls products in my skincare and the overall difference in my skin is amazing.
    2. UD Naked Palette - I finally bought the Naked 1 palette in 2017, and I should have listened to the reviews a long time ago - I use it almost every day.
    3. Kiko - another person who also went wild in Spain - a fan of their blusher, highlighter, lipstick and nail polish.
    4. Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - this is brilliant for the price, I normally use Armani Lasting Silk foundation - this is almost as good as it.

Worst:
    1. Bourjois Sculpt Light Highlighter - could not blend, was like I had a lump of glitter on my face
    2. Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge - does not give the same finish as a Beauty Blender (which I find amazing)
    3. Bobbi Brown lasting finish foundation - the strong scent from this just turns me off and I couldn't use it

Jury still out:
    Ordinary Foundations - I only got these towards the end December, so haven't tried them much yet - the couple of wears I've had I think serum foundation is nice for days when I am happy with light coverage, unsure of the full coverage foundation just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Hits: Catrice HD Liquid Coverage Foundation. Love this! Great coverage, similar to Double Wear but not as 'tight' feeling. I always have people complimenting me on my great skin when I'm wearing this - and I'm spotty AF!
    Tarte Tartlette in Bloom. Recommended by someone on Boards, gorgeous, blendable, varied palette :)
    Lush Ultrabland. Brilliant product but I can only use it if I'm washing my hair the next day because I'm too clumsy not to get it in my hairline :(

On the fence: Double Wear Nude Water Fresh Makeup. On its own, I don't like this at all: for me, it's not buildable, but as a sheer 'natural look' foundation it doesn't give me nice coverage either. Mixed with the original Double Wear though, it's a revelation! Love it mixed with the Catrice one mentioned above for dry skin days too. The pump is a game changer - well worth the small investment.

Misses: Any number of cheap foundations that oxidised, or that just wore away etc - when will I learn!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

dee_mc wrote: »
    Lush Ultrabland. Brilliant product but I can only use it if I'm washing my hair the next day because I'm too clumsy not to get it in my hairline :(
    !

I’ve to do the same with the Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Oil, always end up with greasy roots in the front when I use it.

My hits:
    E45 Lotion, the one in the pump, much easier to work into the skin. I’ve ditched all my fancy smelly body creams and gone back to basics, my skin is so much better!

Bioderma micellar water, bit late to the trend on this product but I finally tried it and love it.

A second vote for Benefit Galifornia, is a fab blush!

Nars Creamy Concealer, worth the money, unfortunately for my bank account!

Kevin Murphy Balancing Wash shampoo, my hair is in great condition since I started using it.

On the fence:
    Anastasia Modern Romance palette, the fall out is mad so I’m using it very little to even judge if I like it.

Benefit Roller Lash, it’s grand. Does the job, but not my favourite.

No misses that I can think of, I didn’t actually buy a lot of new cosmetics in the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hits:
    Catrice HD foundation and camouflage concealer. For budget products they are brilliant.

Quite liking the berry bold pallet by madison makeup. Nice shades, easy enough to blend lovely highlighter shades in it too.

Lash renegade mascara by wet n wild

Cleanse off mitt... so handy.

Trilogy rosehip oil.

On the fence:
    Wet n wild photo focus foundation....sometimes I love it others it looks like shíte.

Misses:
    Catrice glam doll mascara, burned the eyes off me.

Estee lauder advanced night repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Hits: clarins hydra matte lotion - best moisturiser I've used in ages
    Burts bees lip shimmer - love it non greasy and moisturizing with gorgeous pinkish light tint
    Mac angel - my holy grail

Miss: creme de la mer - so wanted to love this after all the reviews and hype but it broke me out very quickly and I used it exactly as advised. Costs a fortune and honest might be great for drier skins

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hits:
    Charlotte Tilbury La Dolce Vita eyeshadow palette: Got this Christmas 2015. Love it! Always use when going on a night out. Would love to get more of these...just so pricey.

Estee Lauder Double Wear Nude: Actually ordered this online by mistake thinking it was the original one. But really like it even though the reviews aren't great.

Elizabeth Arden Eight 8 Hour Cream Sun Defense for Face SPF 50: Was in Indonesia and Italy this year and wore this everyday in the sun. Barely got a freckle, nevermind sunburn. And didn't give me that awful white sunscreen look... totally worth the money!

Nivea Daily Essentials 3 in 1 Sensitive Caring Micellar: Takes off my makeup with ease and doesn't break me out. Also very cheap and always on offer. What's not to like.

Lookfantasic Advent calender: So many brilliant things in it!
    Some of my favourites are: Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream (almost finish it wahhh...if only I could afford the full sized pot), Pixi Hello Glow! 3-piece Set (blusher is fab), Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial (love the smell).

Misses:
    Charlotte Tilbury Magic Foundation: Horrible on my skin. Oxidizes a lot. Colour completely wrong.

Urban Decay All Nighter Foundation: Horrendous. A friend recommend it to as she thought it was amazing but just feels like clay on my face. Must give her my bottle of it actually as her skin is the same colour as mine. Will be sticking to my Double Wear and Bourjois Healthy Mix!

The Ordinary Products: Tried a few of these products but they all made my skin break out.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Hits
    Urban Decay Smoky Palette - Went on a bit of a spree when they had their pre christmas sale. I had always avoided this palette as i favour a more natural look but i used this quite a bit over christmas for both day and night looks.
    Urban Decay Naked basics - Again a sale find. Really pleased with how pigmented these are and esy to blend. great for a nice work look
    Urban Decay Afterglow in Peroxide -I got the palette of 4 highlighters but i've only used the perosxide one and i Love it. I adore highlighters abd this is a keeper. Gives me a lovely fresh glow when applied all over my face without blusher
    The Balm Manizer sisters - Love highlighers and these are a great trio
    Too Faced Natural Love palette - This didn't get great reviews manly because people felt many of the collours were too similar but i'm really happy with it. It suits the type of look i like and its the palette i bring away with me for weekends/holidays as its big enough and versatile enough to do most looks.
    Eco tools make up brushes - Love these brushes and especialy the highligher brush. I buy them from iherb as they are cheapest there
    Max Facor lasting finish makeup - Really pleased with this foundation, great coverage without being cakey and a good shade range. I'm nearly out and i'll definitely repurchase.
    Catrice eyebrow filler - Great colour and coverage, i'll definitely re purchase
    L'Oreal Paris Infallible Sexy Lip Balm - got this in red and a coral colour and i love them both. Im a terro for biting the skin off my lip so coloured balms work best for me and the red gave me the best colour payoff

On the Fence
    The Ordinary's the buffet - I'm using it at the moment but i'm not sure about it. THink i'll try a different serum when this finishes.
    Catrice camouflage cream concealer - Bit too dry for me though i do use it in a pinch.
    Too faced Peach palette - It's lovely but i dont find myself reaching for it, probably more to do with my own skills then the product

Miss
    Clinique City block - Bought this as a good SPF for holidays and it completely ruined my skin. I have dry skin that rarely gets spots and it looked like i had acne. I couldn't believe it i've never had a product do anything like that before
    The Ordinary - Nothing wrong with the individual products but the amount of them i had to put on for my recommended skin regime meant they just pilled on me. No matter how little i used or the amount of time i let them dry in. I'll use up what i have individually but won't be re buying
    The Pippa Palette - Gave this to my sister. i found the eyeshadow to be hard to work with and the blush and bronzer only ok. The highlighter was nice. For the price the quaity just wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hits -
    Trilogy rose hip oil
    Catrice Glam doll mascara
    Mac times nine palette in Burgundy
    Nars creamy concealer

Misses -
    Kiehls midnight recovery eye cream
    Liz Earle hot cloth cleanser - broke me out like crazy
    Pantene pro V repair and protect shampoo and conditioner - left my hair like an oil slick, took 4 washes to get it out.
    Benefit theyre real mascara

Advertisement