Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service business on the side - forms and structure?

Options
  • 05-01-2018 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a permanent full-time job as a software developer where my employer looks after all my income tax etc..

I'm interested in running a web business on the side in my spare time. It would be just myself working on it and the income would be initially from web advertising from companies but also potentially from membership fees from users. Possibly also paid web development jobs. I don't expect to earn more than €15k/year from this side business.

What do I need to get this up and running above board? A few questions that I'm unclear above...

- Do I need to register as a company? (forms etc?)

- How do I handle VAT?
    - do I need to register for VAT? I believe I'm under a minimum threshold to require registration but presumable I'd still need to collect and pay VAT?
    - presumably I'd have to include VAT on prices at the services rate, how is this then paid to revenue?

- How do I declare my additional income and pay tax on it? Presumably this will need to be taxed along with the upper end of my regular income. (processes and forms for revenue?)

Thanks for any advice on this. Perhaps I need to book a consultation with an accountant or legal person to get everything in line, but it's a low budget operation to start with so I'd prefer not to hit those expenses if possible. Or is there a business startup course that's available/recommended?

Advertisement