Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Stores fragrances tea lights.

Options
  • 05-01-2018 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi there everyone, not really sure where to put this or even if it is a consumer issue but here is my issue.

I really like those scented tea lights from Dunnes and I lit one yesterday, about 5 hours later while sitting watching tv I could hear what I thought was splashing noises, lowered the sound on the tv and honestly thought it was the dog having a drink until 30 seconds later when I could smell burning.
    These tea lights normally only get warm and never hot or scalding so i leave one on top of the fish tank but this tealight was literally on fire, splashing wax out, i tried to blow it out but this tea light was like a chip pan fire, had to get a cloth to pit it out and move it to the sink.
    This tea light has melted a hole in the top of my fish tank and now I have a perfectly circular hole in it, I took a little video of it and a few photos afterwards, I will be shopping in Dunnes tomorrow and my plan was to tell a manager and show him the video and photos then.
    Everything is fine and no real harm was done excerpt to my fish tank, should I just leave it there or what should I do? What would you do or say?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭40now

Can't post photos as I'm on my phone but can this evening from laptop if it'll make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Whast the top of the fish tank? Plastic? In that case it is not suitable to put a candle on.
    Tea light shouldn't be spluttering but they are meant to be burned in appropriate container which would contain most of that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

40now wrote: »
    Hi there everyone, not really sure where to put this or even if it is a consumer issue but here is my issue.

I really like those scented tea lights from Dunnes and I lit one yesterday, about 5 hours later while sitting watching tv I could hear what I thought was splashing noises, lowered the sound on the tv and honestly thought it was the dog having a drink until 30 seconds later when I could smell burning.
    These tea lights normally only get warm and never hot or scalding so i leave one on top of the fish tank but this tealight was literally on fire, splashing wax out, i tried to blow it out but this tea light was like a chip pan fire, had to get a cloth to pit it out and move it to the sink.
    This tea light has melted a hole in the top of my fish tank and now I have a perfectly circular hole in it, I took a little video of it and a few photos afterwards, I will be shopping in Dunnes tomorrow and my plan was to tell a manager and show him the video and photos then.
    Everything is fine and no real harm was done excerpt to my fish tank, should I just leave it there or what should I do? What would you do or say?.

It's your own fault.

Anything burning for 5 hours will get hot. Fishtank lid is plastic. Plastic + Hot = Melty.

You'll no doubt find instructions on the back of the packet instructing you to put the tea light on/in a holder.

They are 8 hour tea lights so being on for 5 should be no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Did you put it on a plastic lid of a fish tank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Go in and complain. People aren't expected to be standing over candles with an extinguisher in case they go on fire etc during normal burning time. You could've reasonably expected the candle would not pose a hazard to your home of you followed instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

That means they burn for up to 8 hours.

Still not safe to put them on anything that isn't a holder.

It's common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

its worth having a look at the packaging and seeing what warnings/instructions are provided.

if the warnings are there, and you ignored them, then i would say no follow up action is needed.

If you feel the warnings are not there or prominent enough perhaps you could provide feedback to dunnes customer services, explaining the circumstances and suggest they amend the packaging/instructions.

http://www.dunnesstores.com/faqs-contact-us/content/fcp-content

It would be my opinion that they are not liable for the damage caused in a legal sense, because you also have a responsibility.
    The very word burn indicates high temperatures and you need to place the candle holder on a surface that is suitable for such temperatures.

if you can demonstrate the warnings are not sufficient, perhaps duness can offer a goodwill gesture, to lessen you possible losses, at their discretion.

Hi Op

its worth having a look at the packaging and seeing what warnings/instructions are provided.

if the warnings are there, and you ignored them, then i would say no follow up action is needed.

If you feel the warnings are not there or prominent enough perhaps you could provide feedback to dunnes customer services, explaining the circumstances and suggest they amend the packaging/instructions.

http://www.dunnesstores.com/faqs-contact-us/content/fcp-content

It would be my opinion that they are not liable for the damage caused in a legal sense, because you also have a responsibility.
    The very word burn indicates high temperatures and you need to place the candle holder on a surface that is suitable for such temperatures.

if you can demonstrate the warnings are not sufficient, perhaps duness can offer a goodwill gesture, to lessen you possible losses, at their discretion.

It was never my intention to try and screw Dunnes or try and get a cheap few quid off them but just to let them know what happened, ALL the expected cautionary advice is on the packaging but this little thing turned into a small chip pan fire type fire and that shouldn't happened, thanks for the replies 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭28064212

http://www.dunnesstores.com/paul-costelloe-living-tealights---pack-of-8//dunnesstores/fcp-product/2254230?colour=ivory (click Description)
    • Remove all packaging
    • Burn candle out of reach of children and pets
    • Always leave at least 10cm (4in) between burning candles
    • Place on heat resistant surface
    • Do not burn candles on or near anything that can catch fire
    • Do not place candles in a draught
    • Do not place candles near a source of heat
    • Trim wick to about 1cm (0.4in). Keep wick centred. If flame grows too large or smokes, extinguish, allow to cool and trim wick
    • Keep wax pool clear of anything that can catch fire
    • Do not move a burning candle
    • Never leave a burning candle unattended
    • Discontinue when 15mm (0.5in) wax remains
    • Never use liquid to extinguish

If there are similar warnings on the tealights you have, you've got absolutely no complaints

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
Advertisement