Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kryptonite lock sticking

Options
  • 05-01-2018 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have a Kryptonite lock for my bike, think it's the series 4 one (the longish orange one).

I've noticed it starting to stick recently when I try to pull the U bar out of the lock. The key inserts and turns fine, just the bar won't easily come out of the mechanism like before.

There seems to be a bit of rust on the bar on the ends that are inserted and maybe a bit in the sockets.

Can I use something like WD40 to clean those up? I think I would need to use lube after but not sure which type. I have dry and wet lube that I use for my chain. Would either of those be OK to use as lube for the lock?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

veganrun wrote: »
    I have a Kryptonite lock for my bike, think it's the series 4 one (the longish orange one).

I've noticed it starting to stick recently when I try to pull the U bar out of the lock. The key inserts and turns fine, just the bar won't easily come out of the mechanism like before.

There seems to be a bit of rust on the bar on the ends that are inserted and maybe a bit in the sockets.

Can I use something like WD40 to clean those up? I think I would need to use lube after but not sure which type. I have dry and wet lube that I use for my chain. Would either of those be OK to use as lube for the lock?

Yes spray away. Vaseline is another option to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Yeah WD-40 is a good start, should remove any water there. But I'd use some GT-86 or similar spray afterwards. Should be good after that I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Water can play havoc with the wafers in Abloy style locks like that. A squirt of WD40 will instantly get it going (unless the surfaces are wrecked already). Then use the cover, theres a reason they all have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

As mentioned previously, Wd40 is great for gettings things unstuck. Its not the longest lasting lube, so to keep them unstuck, something heavier like vaseline as mentioned would be better. I use copper grease for things like this. Your wet lube should be okish too. I wouldnt bother with the dry lube, especially in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭alentejo

I noticed the exact same issue last week. Cycled into town and locked my bike.

When I attempted to unlock, could not open lock at all. Had to go home and get some WD40 and return back to eventually unlock. So my advice is get some WD40 asap..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 exhort

As above some of the slightly thicker cycling rush preventors are better and do no leak oil.

I'm addition try and rate the lock upward and close the key hole protector stopping watter get in (new York version)
    alentejo wrote: »

When I attempted to unlock, could not open lock at all. Had to go home and get some WD40 and return back to eventually unlock. So my advice is get some WD40 asap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Thanks for the suggestions. A few splashes of WD40 and GT85 has sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

veganrun wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. A few splashes of WD40 and GT85 has sorted it.

I clean my lock every winter. Take apart the whole lock clean with WD40 and then use wet lube for the parts. The Irish winter humidty or the damp as we like to call it is tough on bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ED E wrote: »
    Water can play havoc with the wafers in Abloy style locks like that. A squirt of WD40 will instantly get it going (unless the surfaces are wrecked already). Then use the cover, theres a reason they all have them.
    Sounds like you are talking about the keys, the OPs key was fine, it was the end bits getting stuck. But yeah, use the key cover too, just did not want the OP looking for some sort of cover on the bar ends.
    alentejo wrote: »
    Was this the key or the bar ends? If the ends ever get stuck again they just need a good jolt to get then free, you can yank it sideways so most of the force is acting on 1 side, then you might have to do the other, and then when both have recently been shifted it is easier to pull it off both at once. I can sometimes take a huge amount of force to free it so you do not want it been yanked against the frame or wheel, rather hold it against the post it is locked to. If it is not locked to a post I would hold the Ulock by the U section and find something to hit the thick bar section with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

rubadub wrote: »
    Sounds like you are talking about the keys, the OPs key was fine, it was the end bits getting stuck. But yeah, use the key cover too, just did not want the OP looking for some sort of cover on the bar ends.

Ooops, yes, I totally skimmed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement