Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip Hop 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The new Lupe is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Enjoying these Tiny Desk concerts, only found out about them recently. I never imagined Liquid Swords being played in that environment.

I agree with whoever said Masta Ace was underrated. Take A Look Around, Long Hot Summer and Disposable Arts are all very good albums.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New Action Bronson, not too much of a departure from what we've heard from him before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Anyone listened to the new Lil Wayne? Actually really like it and I wouldn't usually be a fan.

However that Kendrick verse on Mona Lisa is fantastic.

Not yet, not a Wayne fan at all but have the album ready to go, also picked up the Reason album, he's the latest on the TDE roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Anyone listened to the new Lil Wayne? Actually really like it and I wouldn't usually be a fan.

Very good album.

Way better than Kamikaze. Kendrick nearly ruins Mona Lisa horrible voice on it.

1st half of the album is brillant.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

JaMarcus wrote: »

Last 30seconds of Mona Lisa are also fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

I started listening to the Lil Wayne album and was impressed. Need to jump into it again.

I'll be interested to hear this Kendrick stuff as well.

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I started listening to the Lil Wayne album and was impressed. Need to jump into it again.

I'll be interested to hear this Kendrick stuff as well.

I'd be interested as long as someone can confirm he doesn't spend the majority of the album rapping into a vocoder

I'd be interested as long as someone can confirm he doesn't spend the majority of the album rapping into a vocoder

Not much autotune on it.

Much better than Kamikaze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

I haven't listened to it yet but there's a new Atmosphere album out now.

mario54324 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to it yet but there's a new Atmosphere album out now.

Heard a couple of songs off it, it's the more mature Slug now, he even says its an album for dads who grew up with hip hop :)

I was actually listening to Fishing Blues yesterday and it's grown on me alot. I'm not expecting bangers from Mi Vida Local, just solid beats and good stories.

Think there's a new Cypress Hill album too. Also haven't listened to it.

• Advertisement

It's not on Youtube yet but Big Boi did one of those tiny desk concerts.

• mario54324 wrote: »
    Think there's a new Cypress Hill album too. Also haven't listened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

New Reks & Short Fyuz from the album Order in Chaos, had a listen to the album and its pretty decent.

J Live with an incredible new song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New Mozzy is dope.

I've had a browser tab opened for ages with this on it and finally got around to listen to it. It's rather good, not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly up my alley.

Armandhammer - Paraffin.

https://armandhammer.bandcamp.com/album/paraffin

That is awful.

one of the worst songs I heard this year.

• Joyner Lucas has a new track out. Very catchy

Edit* Added track below

• Advertisement

The beat in that Joyner track is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Been working through the Tiny Desk concerts the last week or so, can't believe I've only come across these so recently. Some really great ones in there, Mac Miller in particular moved me given the content of the songs and how close it was to his death.

T-Pain with a voice much better than I expected given all the auto-tune he used!

T-Pain has an amazing natural singing voice. Not a fan of his, but mans can sing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tiny Desk Concerts are the gift that keeps on giving

I'm just watching the Mac Miller one again. Amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Maybe not strictly hip hop but anyone listen to 6lack's new album East Atlanta Love Letter? It's so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

Harambe wrote: »
    Maybe not strictly hip hop but anyone listen to 6lack's new album East Atlanta Love Letter? It's so good!

his new video wi j cole is a really interesting tune i think

What a waste of talent J Cole is, cannot even make a half decent album. All downhill after The Warm Up.

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The beat in that Joyner track is awful.

Love his flow tho

What a waste of talent J Cole is, cannot even make a half decent album. All downhill after The Warm Up.

You didn't like KOD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

How you gonna name yourself after a gun and have a man bun?

• Advertisement

VW 1 wrote: »
    You didn't like KOD?

Didn't listen, stopped after his first 3. Reviews I've read said it's his worst to date.

Reviews are someone's opinion, give it a listen and form your own before denouncing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

You're missing out. In my humble opinion anyway.

KOD is brilliant!

his new video wi j cole is a really interesting tune i think

I like Pretty Little Fears, Cole's verse is quality, but it's one of my least favourite songs from the album.

He's also excellent on the recently released Bas with Tribe. To say he's on the slide is wrong imo, for me so far this year KOD is up there with Redemption and Daytona for my favourite albums of the year.

KOD isn't all that at all. His previous album is much better, the one before that is his best work.

KOD just took the popular sound of the time and made some songs around it, it has no replay value and people in years to come will be asking why it was such a success.

Not saying it's terrible, just bang average.

Not a fan of 6lack either, tried listening to the new album and couldn't get into it...although that song with Cole is great.

It's funny that you feel he was just using a popular sound to make a listenable record, and in the 1985 diss he was slagging off young rappers for being popular off riding trends as opposed to being talented!

I'm always looking for something new to listen to, in terms of your fave album of the year so far, what would be some of your nominations in case there's stuff i've missed?

Marlowe. By far the album of the year.
    Jay Rock
    I'm getting into the new Reason album as well, sounds great.

They are the 3 that spring to mind. The bits from the new Mick Jenkins album I've heard sound great.

I've just read back through the thread and seen that I gave KOD a glowing review when it was released. Time changes everything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement