Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip Hop 2018

Comments

• Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Marlowe. By far the album of the year.
    Jay Rock
    I'm getting into the new Reason album as well, sounds great.

They are the 3 that spring to mind. The bits from the new Mick Jenkins album I've heard sound great.

Best Albums of the Year for me so far (no particular order)

Jay Rock - Redemption
    Eminem - Kamikaze
    Nipsey Hustle - Victory Lap
    Pusha-T — Daytona

• Alot of people raving about the Royce Da 5’9 album this year, but not heard it yet.
    Going to pick it up this evening.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Royce is deadly, Nipsey is great as well.
    Royce also had the Prhyme 2 album as well.

A few other albums I've dug out from this year:
    Parades
    Atmosphere
    Onry Ossbourne
    Freddie Gibs
    Pac Div

Also the new Armandhammer album I listened to the other day needs more spins.

• Fav Tracks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

iridescence by brockhampton is definitely a top 5 aoty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Definitely no space wasted on that Push album at only 7 tracks, nothing stands out as a weak song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

My favs so far are

Denzel Curry - Taboo
    Kanye and Kid Cudi - Kids See Ghosts
    Pusha T - Daytona
    Eminem - Kamikaze (only 4 bad tracks, take them out and it's his best work in years)
    Nas - Nasir

Haven't finished Evidence's album, KOD or C5 yet.
    Logic's latest album YSIV is decent.
    Kanye's Ye was half arsed tripe.

Still need to listen to Swimming, Czarface x MF Doom, Book of Ryan, Prhyme 2, Mi Vida Local, Drogas Wave, Testing, Veteran etc. To say it's been a good year for hip hop is an understatement. :)

Edit: Ghostface and Freddie also have albums from this year, I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Swimming is AOTY for me. Honestly one of my favourite albums of all time.

I'd also recommend checking out The Neighbourhood's latest EP "Ever changing". They've gone back exploring their hip hop roots, features Denzel Curry, Nipsey Hustle, Ghostface Killah and IDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Daytona was good (The Games We Play and Hard Piano brilliant). I feel 21 minutes is too short for an album though.

Although technically not an album, Black Thought & 9th Wonder released an EP this year, Streams Of Thought, very good.

Nas' album was a waste of time.

Still to listen to Lupe and Royce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

For me it’s:
    Hermit & The Recluse (ka)
    Marlowe
    Kev Brown - homework
    Royce - book of ryan
    Phonte
    Chuck Strangers

edan & homeboy sandman album coming soon also.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm looking forward to Edan and Homeboy Sandman.

I still need to listen to Phonte as well, cheers for the reminder :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Edan and Homeboy Sandman.

me too , edan's output is always great but as rare as hensteeth

peteeeed wrote: »
    me too , edan's output is always great but as rare as hensteeth

He has 2 classic albums. I'm not sure if he's on mic duty on Humble Pi though, he hasn't been on singles yet.

i'd go along with most of the names people have mentioned for albums , the one i keep going back to is Jean Grae/Quelle Chris
    Everything’s Fine. i love the flow and the tone all the way through

Dunno if anybody here watches Drink Champs but I just finished the Marley Marl interview. Very enjoyable, some interesting stories and history about the birth of the Golden Age of NY hip hop. Some funny moments too as always with Nore.

• Advertisement

I'm listening to the Jonah Hill interview on the Breakfast Club yesterday, really good.
    He listened to everything I listened to growing up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Another new one from Homeboy Sandman and Edan, also the first one to have some vocals from Edan on the track

Track listing for Mick Jenkins album, Pieces of a Man, which is out on Friday

https://twitter.com/mickjenkins/status/1054479879301947392

Was reading /r/hiphopheads earlier. Some Canadian rapper died after falling from a plane's wings during a stunt for a music video. Loon.

• Advertisement

I heard about that, it described him as a stunt rapper in the headline, I couldn't figure that out and didn't read the article.

Anyway, id' strongly recommend the new J-Live EP to all. It's a joy to listen to

https://realjlive.bandcamp.com/album/lose-no-time?fbclid=IwAR1NIGxdUQmst9wsFcIK2MoRlP4bPgQmj2EURArCzZyunDadTnlzuE6jC1I

I've also listened to a few songs off a Muggs and Roc Marciano album...i think it's an album, I don't think it's a mashup or anything lie that.
    Sounds really good so far.

I haven't listened to it yet but Tyler The Creator has a song in the new Grinch movie

Apparently the Black Eyed Peas have ditched Fergie and gone back to their hip hop roots with their new album. There's a song on there with Nas and another with Phife and Ali Shaheed.

I heard that about BEP, it'll be interesting to hear that. Does Tyler do the whole Grinch soundtrack?

Joell Ortiz and Apollo Brown have a new album:
    https://apollobrown360.bandcamp.com/album/mona-lisa

Also, if you are not familiar with a guy from Chicago called Saba, here's a Tiny Desk to get you familiar.

edan & homeboy sandman ........i'm loving it , proper dirty samples and f*ck all singing in autotune

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New Mick Jenkins and Shad have leaked. Looking out for new Edan/Homeboy Sandman as well.

New song from Brother Ali, liking it.

Freddie Gibbs has a new album out. Apparently it's really, really good.

mario54324 wrote: »
    Freddie Gibbs has a new album out. Apparently it's really, really good.

It's called Fetti and it's a joint album with Curren$y and The Alchemist

Yup, looking forward to it.....only if I can stop listening to Humple Pi

• Advertisement

61Ag6ln91pL._SS500.jpg

Not a recent release but I'm only getting around to it now. Big KRIT - 4eva Is A Mighty Long Time. Right up there with Kendrick among the most enjoyable rap albums of recent years in my opinion. And as double albums go one of the best ever.

Krits album is great

New album from Action Bronson

Also a new ablum from Vince Staples, have it lined up for this afternoons listening.

VW 1 wrote: »
    Also a new ablum from Vince Staples, have it lined up for this afternoons listening.

Excellent, Vince is dope.

Very short album, 11 tracks including two interludes and a skit.

Excellent beats, really good. Great flow off of Vince too. Very light summertime feel off the album, really easy listening.

Takeoff has an album out too. Don't normally like the Migos or trap in general but Takeoff can be decent at times. Will listen later.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

If anyone is in Amsterdam be sure to check out Cafe De Duivel, was in there on Thursday night, it's strictly Hip-Hop and they had 2 djs playing 90s hip hop on vinyl, mostly East coast, it was quality, heard so many good tunes for the first time.

• Cube has a new album coming out, I repeat Cube has a new album coming out!

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2018/10/ice-cube-everythangs-corrupt-album-release-date/

• Advertisement

Cube has a new album coming out, I repeat Cube has a new album coming out!

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2018/10/ice-cube-everythangs-corrupt-album-release-date/

New track 'arrest the president '
    https://open.spotify.com/track/3JWdewLCI6WgLMd1LnSTMj

Ice Cube hasn't made a good solo album since Lethal Injection, which I've just realised was 25 years ago, wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Really loving the new 'Fetti' LP with Freddie Gibbs, Curren$y and The Alchemist. I'd be a big fan of Gibbs especially after the work he has done with Madlib and this lp really chimes in with that sort of style. Never heard of The Alchemist before, would like to be pointed into the direction of that producers similar work if anybody like to point me, thanks

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The Alchemist has produced for everyone!
    Check out his Cutting Room Floor albums, his beats and just loads of different rappers.
    He's Eminems tour DJ and for some reason never produces for him.

Any time Currency/Gibbs/Alc get together it's magic.

Didn't know it was possible to never have heard of the ALC!

The Alchemist at his absolute best...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Most consistent rapper of 2018 IMO. Every video he drops is at least good, with most of the rest being excellent. Really feeling this latest one.

Jamala II is out, i've heard nothing but great things. This is the first song I've heard from it and it rules

not sure if i shared this before
    jerimah jae - when daffi attacks
    It's short and brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

New Masta Ace is great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement