Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hip Hop 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That Eminem album is woeful. It is better than the one before this but that album was one of the worst albums I ever listened to fully. He'd fallen off completely when he was making tunes with Rihanna and Pink but that album sounds like a masterpiece compared to what this is. He's really starting to do a KRS One and hurt his legacy with absolute gutter albums and rapping just for the sake of saying he's doing something.

Wow, so many wrongs I just don't even know what to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

its very weird to me that people still think eminem is relevant . he hasnt been relevant since curtain call and hasnt been good since 8 mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

its very weird to me that people still think eminem is relevant . he hasnt been relevant since curtain call and hasnt been good since 8 mile

that gets me too, he's been trying to move with the times with the backing beats but the vocal style doesn't go with it, he shouldn't be trying to compete with Soundcloud mumble rappers or still trying to rap like he's broke and fighting to make a living.

Another victim of lounging around the beach and losing all inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He was so big in back then that he still has many fans.

He really should retire but he is still making #1 albums.

The last week or so should prove how wrong you are. He is very much relevant, more so than MGK or any of todays rap/hip hop stars can ever hope to be. Look at someone like post malone, completely talentless and will never ever get near to the levels Eminem has reached. Are you saying he is more relevant right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I dont think its unreasonable to have the opinion that Eminem isnt relevant. He hasnt released anything noteworthy in years and this album is summarised by him taking shots at the current crop of rappers and people he has beef with, by doing little other than talking about how great he is.

If Em was as good as you or he believes, he'd be making records and putting them out a la Jay Z and not worrying about the current crop of rappers.

Eminem got me into rap as a primary school kid, still remember buying Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers and listening on repeat for months. But he's long gone past his best and I don't believe this album fixes or changes that, despite it being better than the rubbish he's put out in the last ten years or so.

The last week or so should prove how wrong you are. He is very much relevant, more so than MGK or any of todays rap/hip hop stars can ever hope to be. Look at someone like post malone, completely talentless and will never ever get near to the levels Eminem has reached. Are you saying he is more relevant right now?

eminem is absolutely not relevant in the hip hop culture right now and hasn't been for a good few years . being more relevant than ... machine gun kelly ... is not a good place to start this argument either tbh

eminem is absolutely not relevant in the hip hop culture right now and hasn't been for a good few years . being more relevant than ... machine gun kelly ... is not a good place to start this argument either tbh

If he wasn't relevant, this discussion wouldn't be happening. Kamikaze would have come out, people would have given it one listen and moved on. Instead there are countless people waiting for the response to the MGK diss. Give me an on form Eminem over any of what are considered the big new rap/hip hop guys.

• If he wasn't relevant, this discussion wouldn't be happening. Kamikaze would have come out, people would have given it one listen and moved on. Instead there are countless people waiting for the response to the MGK diss. Give me an on form Eminem over any of what are considered the big new rap/hip hop guys.

Valid point. He's still one of the most followed rappers on social media, Spotify, YouTube, twitter ect.
    The fan base is massive.

I wouldn't be saying he's no longer relevant because the evidence presented clearly indicates otherwise.

If he wasn't relevant, this discussion wouldn't be happening. Kamikaze would have come out, people would have given it one listen and moved on. Instead there are countless people waiting for the response to the MGK diss. Give me an on form Eminem over any of what are considered the big new rap/hip hop guys.

this discussion is literally only happening in this thread , on this forum . the wider hip hop community talks about eminem almost exclusively to make fun of him these days . i don't know anyone who is truly into hip hop that is 'waiting' for eminem's response to a diss from some complete no mark . an on form eminem hasn't existed since 8 mile , he has more bad releases than he does good ones at this stage , which is sad , as he was undoubtedly one of the best rappers alive but now he's just sliding into obscurity with little to no dignity

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've listened to Kamakazee again. There are some great songs on it. The song with Royce, if it had a better beat it would be a belter, much like Caterpillar is.

There are some other real good songs too like Nice Guy and Good Guy.

There is lots of clever lyrics and wordplay and delivery.....but the subject and beats are off for the most part. There is no need for Em to sing either.
    It used to be a case where Em would take shots at whoever he wanted, now it's like he is taking shots out of defense, it's not a normal position for him. I guess if he was making solid albums for the past few years I'd have more sympathy, but he hasn't been.

There is a glimmer of hope in the album, shaking out the singing, the resentment, not looking for a commercial hit and letting someone else pick his beats would all help towards him climbing back to where he believes he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

+1 , post malone or mgk are not barometers of where you should want a rap career to be , especially for a man who 'pioneered' a lot back in the day , they'll never be on the wall of fame for life,

Eminem really flopped, like rappers lose favour but you have guys like method man or b-real still featuring on decent tracks, or like dre just accepting production is the way to go but then you have the people determined that a 46 year old man who spent over a decade doing very little except lounging by a pool can still rap like a hungry to succeed 22 year old , nah man the game changed and you missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've listened to Kamakazee again. There are some great songs on it. The song with Royce, if it had a better beat it would be a belter, much like Caterpillar is.

There are some other real good songs too like Nice Guy and Good Guy.

There is lots of clever lyrics and wordplay and delivery.....but the subject and beats are off for the most part. There is no need for Em to sing either.
    It used to be a case where Em would take shots at whoever he wanted, now it's like he is taking shots out of defense, it's not a normal position for him. I guess if he was making solid albums for the past few years I'd have more sympathy, but he hasn't been.

There is a glimmer of hope in the album, shaking out the singing, the resentment, not looking for a commercial hit and letting someone else pick his beats would all help towards him climbing back to where he believes he is.

You cannot be serious. They are far and away ( think how far the sun is away) the worst songs on the album and up there with the worst **** em has ever released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Wow, so many wrongs I just don't even know what to say.

You're entitled to your opinion I guess but I'd love to hear what you think is wrong...I'd be open to hearing except I just saw this so I feel it isn't even worth it:
    What a load of utter utter bollox. His best album since TES, better than SSLP. Absolutely destroys so many of todays frauds.

You surely were just being hyperbolic. You'd need your head examined if you think any album besides MMLP and TES could hold a candle to SSLP let alone think any album of his is better than it, especially anything from the last 8 years.

How could anyone say any track on this could match tracks like If I Had, Rock Bottom, Guilty Conscience, Bad Meets Evil or even the cornier tracks like My Name Is which are classic songs...never mind match the album as a whole thematically, production wise, hunger wise, f*ck it everything-wise. I'd take a double album of Eminem around the whiny accent singing relapse era over any of this sh*te. Beautiful, Bagpipes from Baghdad and Deja Vu on their own would make a better album than the entire of Kamikaze

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm quite baffled that Eminem releasing music still garners so much attention. People either think he's trash or facinating so it just creates an endless feedback loop of bickering.

Fall & Lucky You are good. Stepping Stone is ok.

Rest is trash.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New from Onry Osbourne

Diggin it.

Interesting interview with Sway and Em

• Sway milking it though. Just release the while lot!

• Advertisement

Em pretty much owns Sway ha! So Em is making Sway milk it :)

Odd how Em continues the trend of saying his last album wasn't good....I suppose he'll be doing that for Kamakzee once the next album comes out.

Part 2

Interesting stuff in this one

I really just want to see him and Joe and the rest of SlaughterHouse do some sort of interview.

• Ffs part three!!

How many parts are there?

Eminem should appear on Budden's podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 HowardJDavis

Part 2

Interesting stuff in this one

I really just want to see him and Joe and the rest of SlaughterHouse do some sort of interview.

Very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Ffs part three!!

How many parts are there?

4, last one will be uploaded tonight...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Em fires back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Opinions?

He didn't exactly murder him much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

I think he held back a lot tbh. Hope Budden goes at him

• Dare I say it but MGKs was better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dare I say it but MGKs was better!

Iv listened to killshot a good few times now and i keep finding myself thinking how Rap Devil is in someway better. Rap Devil sounds raw, its more cut throat whereas it felt like Killshot was put out because Em had no choice but respond. I know he could of gone hard but maybe he is holding back waiting for MGK respond again. One thing is for sure it is good for both rappers and their labels, money money money.

In his original tweet he had #ripproof at the end of it but deleted it and retweeted it without it, I can't see that going down well.

On the Diss I thought MGKs song was catchy and had a few bars that made me laugh but I think Em killed him lyrically which is what Diss songs are about really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Underground

I was a big critic of Revival so I'm not coming in here with a fan boy hat on, I thought Killshot was ice cold, really enjoyed it. Some real harsh home truths in it, I think it far surpasses rap devil. I mean what was really said in rap devil? He's old, he's small, he's not as good as he used to be,meh.

He said it himself in that Sway interview series, he's happiest when he's angry, I think it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I really liked Kamikaze. Great to here that Slim Shady flow back. I skip "Normal", "Nice Guy" and "Good Guy" but everything else is fire.

I think Killshot is way better than Rap Devil and Em didn't even go all the way out. MGK is fcked.

Anyone saying MGK had a better diss than Eminem simply doesn't have a clue what they're talking about. It had a catchy little chorus but what did he actually say that "dissed" Em?

Your beard is weird, you're old and you dress funny. Not a whole lot else.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

I think they're both **** and it's the most uninteresting "beef" of all time.

I've listened to this new Onry Ozzborn album a few times today and I'm really liking it.

https://onryozzborn.bandcamp.com/album/nervous-hvnd

This was released a few months back, only finding it now, incredible. Arguably the most underrated rapper of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Masta Ace is a legend.

And let me guess, another half arsed album from Kanye :)

Smif N Wessun also done a Tiny Desk recently

http://www.okayplayer.com/music/smif-n-wessun-tiny-desk-performance-new-single.html

They have a new EP with production from 9th Wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Nice bit of bay area rap.

Smif N Wessun also done a Tiny Desk recently

http://www.okayplayer.com/music/smif-n-wessun-tiny-desk-performance-new-single.html

They have a new EP with production from 9th Wonder.

No way, how am I only finding these now! I just watched the GZA and Rakim ones, these are so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Speaking of Tiny desk concerts, Rakim did one a couple of months ago with Ali Shaheed Muhammad of ATCQ on bass

The Mac Miller one is a tear jerker. I think it was recorded very close to his death.
    There is an Oddisee one as well that is excellent, the best one I remember is Run The Jewels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Tiny desk concerts are my favourite project right now. Incredible range of artists.

Personally, I think Big Daddy Kane's is the best, effortlessly cool. But there are tonnes of others like GZA, The Roots, Preemo, Wyclef etc that are all worth listening to, that's before I even start getting into the non hip hop ones.

Bizarre jumping in with the diss track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Thanks for the tiny desk recommendation, the Big daddy Kane one is my favorite so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Advertisement