Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New double buggy or convert existing one

Options
  • 05-01-2018 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭

Hello, hoping you can give me some advice. I have an iCandy peach 3 which has been fine but I'm due another baby. My eldest will be 17 months when the baby is born. I have priced converting my iCandy to a double (adaptors, seat and carrycot) and it's over €500 (in Mothercare anyway). I don't particularly love the set up either. I think I prefer side by side and my friend who just converted hers says the baby is nearly too big for the seat anyway. I can get a new city jogger for around the same price. My little one can walk no problem already but I think a buggy board permanently would be too much of an ask for her!!

Would appreciate anyone's advice on the icandy double, jogger, or any other buggies, although I am not prepared to spend loads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Try adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

I second the adverts route, I had 16 months between my two and tbh I don't like the new doubles where one child is very low to ground.
    I got an old style mother care double buggy where they are both at the same height, one right behind the other, so very long but was easy enough to manoeuvre, cost €80 second-hand and sold it for same price a year later.
    I used it a fair bit but looking back not enough to warrant spending more than I did.
    I actually used a sling and a single buggy for first few months as it was a lot easier and by then my older boy liked to walk a bit so had the single and double in boot of car and for short walks used the single with him walking along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

coffeyt wrote: »
    I second the adverts route, I had 16 months between my two and tbh I don't like the new doubles where one child is very low to ground.
    I got an old style mother care double buggy where they are both at the same height, one right behind the other, so very long but was easy enough to manoeuvre, cost €80 second-hand and sold it for same price a year later.
    I used it a fair bit but looking back not enough to warrant spending more than I did.

Thanks I am looking on adverts, I just don't know which to buy! The icandy pieces aren't sold second hand - which makes sense as people off load the whole thing as a double, so it's either convert it, or use money to buy a different pram. I would probably spend the money if I loved it but I don't - the carrycot is smaller (my original only lasted to 4/5 months anyway) baby is very low to ground and it looks very squashed

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=ywaigsqr&id=25EA8DDDFBFB26327AB0BC2D7DD06D57F3353F1A&thid=OIP.ywaigsqraW9cYwkx5TJkHwHaHa&q=double+buggy+tandem&simid=608023906331722853&selectedIndex=1
    Not sure if link above works but that's similar to what I had.
    Honestly it really depends on how much you are going to use it, I drive a lot so it made sense to get something cheap and cheerful that did the job and if you don't walk a lot I think it's madness to spend too much on them.
    I waited until my little girl was a month or two before getting one as I liked having her in sling with me and just had my little man in the buggy so you could always do that and then decide ifs it's going to be worth it as bear in mind every month your older child is getting bigger and more independent.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

We had an 18 month age gap and bought a Mountain buggy Duet on Donedeal, I love it. It's incredibly narrow for a side-by-side and looks very comfy with our buggy snuggles on, it came with a huge zip up storm cover too. I can also confirm that it fits in the boot of a ford fiesta (with parcel shelf removed).

We definitely couldn't have done with just a buggy board. Their little legs get tired quickly. Our toddler loves to get into the buggy, especially when it's cold outside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ugh, this dilemma.We have an uppababy vista which converts, thabkfully borrowed from a friend.Its heavy enough but it's benefits way outweigh it's problems.Also have a second hand out and about double-like you I didn't want to go spending loads.I like it but I prefer the vista.And we didn't have to get the necessary newborn inserts, pram adptors or whatever for the out and About as No.2 was a few months old when we got it.Probably would have pushed the price up to the 500eur mark then.It's a very good buggy though, I can see why so many people like it.
    Whatever you do check the size of your car boot to see that whatever you buy fits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have the city select which is one in front of the other but no one is that close to the ground and both can see easily (seat closer to.parent is higher than front). I like it goes back to a single easily and the different combinations of seats. If is heavy is bigger child is in the front of the buggy but love it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭fits

We have a city select and an out and about. We use the out and about for long walks, the city select for town. Sling is usually our first choice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I have the Phil and teds navigator, and while I preferred the original my friend had with her son ( they seemed to make everything much narrower on the 2nd edition) I still love it. I am using it in double mode since she was 4 months and she doesn't mind being low down at all. Her large 3 year old brother does well in the front still. Only con is there is no basket space in double mode

Advertisement