Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compassionate leave query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I'd someone is entitled to compassionate, or any other type of leave, then of course they should avail of it. Companies, private or public, have leave policy. Taking that leave, if you are entitled to it, is exactly that, an entitlement.
    If you are sick during your holidays and it impacts your holidays, and your entitlement allows it, then you should reclassify your leave type when you have the opportunity. Same goes for retirement or any other type of leave....
    I don't understand what the **** goes on in people heads that have a problem with this. It's a very simple concept.... If you are entitled to it then you are entitled to it.....

How are these entitlements gained though?

They have direct access to the finances of the state, and with the lingering threat of strike action, they demand this and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

salonfire wrote:

They have direct access to the finances of the state, and with the lingering threat of strike action, they demand this and that.

I have no idea what public sector workers are or are not entitled to. My simple point is that this type of leave is quite normal in the private sector......
    So turning a discussion about it into an emotive opportunity to bash public sector workers holding the country to hostage is at best misguided, incorrect and disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

salonfire wrote: »

Damn.........SNA's now run the state and are about to bring it down with excessive Compassionate leave demands. A run on the banks is imminent. So is a strike.....i think:confused:

Whatever ye do don't panic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

PER Circular 2017/01 - Bereavement Leave in the Civil Service
    Bereavement leave cannot be substituted for any form of leave, other than annual leave. If the bereavement
    occurs when a civil servant is on annual leave, the annual leave can be replaced with bereavement leave and the annual leave restored.

This is the actual answer to OP's question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

PER Circular 2017/01 - Bereavement Leave in the Civil Service

This is the actual answer to OP's question.

Not exactly

There is a difference in the education sector between annual leave and periods when the school is closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Fair point. If the person in question was on preplanned annual leave, though (and counted as a civil/public servant), they would indeed be entitled to a day of annual leave back.

I just wanted to make clear that this is actually a very normal thing and a perfectly usual request that's 100% in line with their contract.

Advertisement