Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Carrerra too cheap to be true

Options
  • 05-01-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was recently looking at Carrera mountain bikes and they are VERY cheap. My dad had gotten a Carrera road bike for about €300 which is hard to believe. I just want to know if they are good bikes. most of the mtbs are probably XC bikes on the low end but are they reliable?

reliable or not 8 votes

reliable
    0% 0 votes
    not
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The road bikes are really good for what you pay or at least they were. Like, don't expect to be cycling the Tour de France on one but nowt wrong as a commuter.

I don't know the quality of the mountain bikes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I still use my carrera zelos road bike as my commuter, this will be it's 5th year. Not as nice a ride as subsequent bikes, but was a definite step up from the true bike shaped objects I'd had in the year or two before that. Only issue I've had is the bearings going in the rear wheel, and that was last year and after me putting cross tyres on it and going gravel riding!

No idea about mtb's - not an expert, but I'd be at least wanting a recognised brand fork. The voodoo's don't seem to be too badly rated when I was looking around earlier in the year either if looking at halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I stuck a 105 groupset and diff wheels on a carrera from halfords (it was the wife's starter bike) and now use it all winter to save wear on the good bike, full mudguards and lights, weighs a ton but I'm telling myself it's good training :)
    It should last several winters and I've even taken a few strava segments on it :P

*re: poll - reliable (heavy) frame but cheapish groupset and wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I don't know what model you're looking at but typically budget brand mtb are bad news. They'll be heavy poor components particularly the fork and I wouldn't even consider a full suss.

Either way. Will they go down a mountain? Yes but they will inevitably rust and fall apart. If I were you I'd be looking at second hand before buying a cheap mtb.

Their road bikes and hybrids(rigid) are grand as there are fewer moving parts and the terrain they cover would be more friendly.

In saying that if you go onto YouTube and look for skillswithphil he tests a wall mart bike on a dh trail. You'll get the idea of their capabilities. I think sethsbikehacks did similar.

Advertisement