Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish in a barrel

Options
  • 05-01-2018 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Madness

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Handy money was driving factor there I'd say :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

While shooting deer in a pen is a disgrace, typical SC jumping on any excuse to get in a dig at night time shooting. Shooting deer at night is already a crime, no more laws are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

ronn wrote: »
    Now

We all know it was scumbags who did that not hunters so don’t need Walsh to state the obvious

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Cheeky f**king so and so.

Using a random act of violence to try and get a sneaky pitch in at the COALITION'S attempts to privatize night shooting. An absolute disgrace, but i'd expect nothing less from the so called coalition.

The manner in which Walsh links the people involved to legitimate hunters is a sign of a poorly thought out, but desperate attempt to grab some limelight.

Then the so called coalition will tell you they do not seek a ban on night shooting. Remember these things lads next time they try to feed you their crap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Rather slow off the mark too for newsworthy events.That story was posted here on the "why do we even bother?" thread two weeks ago...Maybe someone should send Mr Walsh a link to boards so he can stay abreast of things in the Irish shooting world,as is his supposed remit to do so???:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

When and what paper was that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Cass wrote: »
    Cheeky f**king so and so.

Using a random act of violence to try and get a sneaky pitch in at the COALITION'S attempts to privatize night shooting. An absolute disgrace, but i'd expect nothing less from the so called coalition.

The manner in which Walsh links the people involved to legitimate hunters is a sign of a poorly thought out, but desperate attempt to grab some limelight.

Then the so called coalition will tell you they do not seek a ban on night shooting. Remember these things lads next time they try to feed you their crap.

As ever the Sports Coalition of vested interests jumping on a band wagon, These lads were banished to the wasteland for how long with tail tucked between their legs and now comes out rattling his sabre.

I'd say we will have an interesting few months ahead, bets on we will hear more and dare i say (and yes I am a conspiracy theorist) we will be hearing more, only during the week we had the Lurcher debate raging again, i.e scobbies out with Lurchers at night casing farms for robberies.

€10 bet that there is something coming our way through the FCP or something and they are preparing the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Call it nitpicking if you like but given that these were obviously tame livestock and not wild deer this has nothing to do with poaching but everything to do with possession of an illegal firearm, armed trespass and theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Rather slow off the mark too for newsworthy events.That story was posted here on the "why do we even bother?" thread two weeks ago...Maybe someone should send Mr Walsh a link to boards so he can stay abreast of things in the Irish shooting world,as is his supposed remit to do so???:rolleyes:

It was in today’s Bray People,

• Advertisement

24/12/2017
    Seriously???Shooting deer in a Christmas display...
    http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...orth-Pole.html

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Call it nitpicking if you like but given that these were obviously tame livestock and not wild deer this has nothing to do with poaching but everything to do with possession of an illegal firearm, armed trespass and theft.

I'm playing devil's advocate here so no one chew my head off, and it'll explain my anger at the so called coalition's obvious publicity stunt, but there is no evidence that this heinous crime was carried out by using a firearm and absolutely none that hunters were involved.

It's why i never said about the deer being shot, only stolen.

The Gardaí, and all the papers that reported on it, mention shooting but all have to admit in their that there is no proof of a shooting other than an Gardaí saying they found a bullet in a tree. Well newsflash that is not proof. No gunshots were reported, no casings in the area, and no animals shot were found. The bullet could have been there for days. weeks or years.

As for the comical (if you can use such a word in this instance) statement that they will/hope to use the bullet to ballistically match it to a firearm well good luck with that. There is no ballistic testing in this country and before anyone jumps on the so called coalition's bandwagon and says it should be brought in, we've shown time and again how ballistic testing is nothing more than a result of the CSI effect. The DoJ shut down firearm proofing, a known safety measure, before it was even enacted because of the cost associated with it. Given that some countries have reported ballistic testing costs running into the millions how likely are they to introduce such a course and not try and pass the cost onto us?

As i'e said above this in no way excuses or is meant to excuse the criminal act of stealing these deer, but once again the papers, AGS and even our own (well done to the so called coalition) have given credence to the rumors.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

The Sports Coalition of Vested interests. If it benefits them and only them then they will have a something to say. Mark my words there will be something coming at use very shortly. The night time shooting and the safe pass for shooters hasn't gone away.

I put bets that the

The Sports Coalition of Vested interests. If it benefits them and only them then they will have a something to say. Mark my words there will be something coming at use very shortly. The night time shooting and the safe pass for shooters hasn't gone away.

I put bets that the

The "safe pass" for shooters has been well established. Before you'll even be considered for a licence you have to satisfy the (Chief)Superintendent that:
    - you're of good character
    - are competent in the safe use of firearms
    - you have adequate storage facilities

In addition you have to give consent to disclose your medical history.

If that's not at least worth a "safe pass" you may call me cabbage...

What we have does not require You to have to repeat it every three years when you go for your new license. What we dont have, is to do it at only specific ranges only 1 for each rifle or shotgun or pistol depending on what you have.

I seen on FB that Mr Keogh is standing down on nasrpc committee next year and that he's their fcp rep.

Is his venture sorted I wonder?

Where’d you see that?

Posted here as well on one of the threads. Think it was the NASRPC/SC thread.As it kind of answed Cass's quest about was the SC/NASRPC alliance a thing ?

Where’d you see that?

If that's for me I think it was on nasrpc FB page ....................

While we all acknowledge the shooting of tame deer in djouce golf club was a despicable act, the Sports Coalition has again attacked nighttime shooting in its press comments to the Bray People. According to them the djouce incident is part of what they say is “wider problems” associated with nighttime shooting, thereby linking law-abiding hunters with the criminals. How they claim to represent hunters is astounding given the constant attack on hunters who provide a service to farmers and help to ensure we have pheasants on the ground come November 1st.
    Not to mention shooting dogs attacking sheep due to irresponsible owners who don’t have proper control of their dogs, something which is all the more vital when the dogs owners don’t or won’t accept responsibility for their dogs attacks which has happened locally here in Ballycanew.
    After doing a u-turn during the year and attempting to back pedal to save face, it seems they are again on the offensive against night shooting for whatever reason or agenda they may have but won’t honestly admit to the hunting and shooting public who they claim to represent.

• Advertisement

I think they have made a rod for their own back with that press statement with the shooting community.
    On points like;
    Backpeddling on this issue while throwing smoke last year when it was found that this issue wasn't going their way when the shooting community spoke up.

Stating that this is "night time shooting" or poaching when it is a lot more, and under investigation by AGS as a crime involving a firearm, and, if they were farmed, tamed deer.Domestic livestock theft.

It seems again that SC has NO clue about how to handle media /PR yet again by the above statement and didn't get some finer points across.To the public or hunters in general.

In fact, this should be now raised as an issue with the respective orgs under the umbrella of NASRPC, NARGC, whoever else, that these kinds of statements and carry on is damaging the general Irish shooting population and that a vote of confidence is demanded from the shooting public in the SC leaders.

While we all acknowledge the shooting of tame deer in djouce golf club was a despicable act, the Sports Coalition has again attacked nighttime shooting in its press comments to the Bray People. According to them the djouce incident is part of what they say is “wider problems” associated with nighttime shooting, thereby linking law-abiding hunters with the criminals. How they claim to represent hunters is astounding given the constant attack on hunters who provide a service to farmers and help to ensure we have pheasants on the ground come November 1st.
    Not to mention shooting dogs attacking sheep due to irresponsible owners who don’t have proper control of their dogs, something which is all the more vital when the dogs owners don’t or won’t accept responsibility for their dogs attacks which has happened locally here in Ballycanew.
    After doing a u-turn during the year and attempting to back pedal to save face, it seems they are again on the offensive against night shooting for whatever reason or agenda they may have but won’t honestly admit to the hunting and shooting public who they claim to represent.

Shooting tame deer, if they were shot at all, in a pen is not poaching. It's a combination of theft and firearms offences. If the pen was a permanent structure you could argue aggravated burglary.

All said and done this has nothing to do with lads after foxes and rabbits in the hours of darkness. Their argument is akin to looking for a ban on driving cars on a public road because some people drive dangerously or drunk. If offences are being committed investigate and prosecute, simple as. Poaching hotspots are known and the number of suspects is far from unlimited. Between ANPR, intelligence led checkpoints in key locations and some rangers' boots on the ground it's far from an insurmountable problem.

I re read the news clippings and copped the following......when did the yer man Paul Walsh of the Sports Coalition represent Hunters, fishermen etc.....now that has me annoyed, they have done nothing for us other than try very hard through everything they touch to **** us over.

He allegedly complained to the Gardai about NARGC an organisation with 25000 members who at least stood up and tackled the HCAP malarkey and opposed there night time ban on shooting and scuppered theplan for compulsory 3 year training....I said it before I think the SC represent themselves. Sooner there gone the better

I re read the news clippings and copped the following......when did the yer man Paul Walsh of the Sports Coalition represent Hunters, fishermen etc.....now that has me annoyed, they have done nothing for us other than try very hard through everything they touch to **** us over.

He allegedly complained to the Gardai about NARGC an organisation with 25000 members who at least stood up and tackled the HCAP malarkey and opposed there night time ban on shooting and scuppered theplan for compulsory 3 year training....I said it before I think the SC represent themselves. Sooner there gone the better

So has this been quashed?

nasrpc rep pushing 3 yearly training for his training company & SC pushing their night time shooting ban with another group attempting to make hcap mandatory ............... joining the dots ............. nargc have saved us by the looks of it on a number of fronts? and some groups using fcp to line their pockets not represent their members

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

If these animals are indeed tame, livestock, etc basically anything other than wild.
    Were these animals even safe to have entered the food chain which no doubt they have.

Exactly, this was a crime by criminals not by the everyday hunting man. The Sports Coalition attempt to tarnish us all by their statement is further proof of both their incompetence and their inability to represent anybody except themselves (all 2 of them). It’s time to make this clear to the politicians and statutory bodies on the FCP.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1769810983053287&id=190104431023958

There are a lot of people reading these threads but not necessarily posting, what a lot of people are doing is ringing the Chairman and Vice Chairman and others and expressing their concerns. NARGC Nua is at least listening or reading whatever, and are representing the ordinary shooters interests.

The Sports Coalition of vested interests are just that, and I believ that the ICTSA are gone from it but cant get a formal yes, I am scared its going to be similar to the "Lanigans Ball" with the NASPRC crowd.

Either way, the FCP is tainted by the SC and their lobbying actions on behalf of the select few. Can we now trust anything that is brought through the FCP and with the Maurice Mc Cabe debacle can we trust the DOJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

That's quite a good press release. Fair play

• Advertisement
Advertisement