Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Edna_Ennky

Kerry 1-30 Limerick 0-5 result in the Munster U20 Football Championship 1/4 final. Whats going wrong with Limerick football? Is the Limerick football academy not fit for purpose or is it the case that U20 management are out of their depth. Kerry are brilliant though and that must not be under-estimated. But for Limerick to lose by 28 points is a hard one to take. Remember Limerick in 2016 only lost by 3 points against Kerry in the Munster U21 Football Championship so clearly major questions must be asked about where Limerick football is going. As a Clareman we need more of the likes of Waterford, Clare, Tipp and Limerick to be competitive in Munster football. This performance and result clearly is not a good night for Limerick football though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

No change to team from Waterford game. Dowling rewarded for his performance.

https://twitter.com/limerickclg/status/1007714293935235074?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

No place on panel for p casey surprised with that surely he mustn't be right he's a great talent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

lim4ev wrote: »
    No place on panel for p casey surprised with that surely he mustn't be right he's a great talent

Had his appendix out a while back must be still recovering or building fitness

slegs wrote: »
    Had his appendix out a while back must be still recovering or building fitness

I know that but Kiely said 3 weeks ago he needed 2 weeks plus he played in an u21 challenge v Wexford last week and was outstanding by all accounts anyway it's the mgts call of course, if you told me this time last yr we'd have no p casey for all the opening champ matches in Munster I wouldn't have been too hopeful but the re emergence of mulcahy and the emergence of both gillane and for me esp Flanagan have offset his loss

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Have to say, bit nervous about the ref. Same fella that rode us against Cork I thought. Sending off more than fair that day but elsewhere, he gave a lot of hometown decisions. Be a bit fearful he'll be unduly influenced by home crowd again. Always have a bit favouring the home team but hopefully not as much as Cork got against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Big reality check today. Outfought today and couldn't get to grips with Kelly and podge Collins at all. Some poor shot decisions and bad wides. A bit like the semi final a few years ago. Very flat performance.

Ennis a very difficult place to go but there was only going to be one winner today based on the energy shown by players in the first 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

The discipline just has to be sorted out, there were other issues but this is number 1, tom condon came on to play hurling from 20 years ago, 1 free followed by a red, end of story

A different type of indiscipline from dowling to miss his first free and added 3 more bad wides

Mike casey spilled a ball, ran out and cjopped the clare fella down to give a simple free. Type of stuff cost us the cork game too.

After that we still had a disaster particularly taking off mul terrible decision playing with a 5 point wind

Realistically the loss is a great thing, so much to work on, English's use of the ball
    DISCIPLINE
    Kyle hayes is not a forward
    Need to get the balance of 6 best forwards
    U-21 game thursday may give some pointers
    I'd play mul everytime think he sets the tone up front for work rate

The discipline just has to be sorted out, there were other issues but this is number 1, tom condon came on to play hurling from 20 years ago, 1 free followed by a red, end of story

A different type of indiscipline from dowling to miss his first free and added 3 more bad wides

Mike casey spilled a ball, ran out and cjopped the clare fella down to give a simple free. Type of stuff cost us the cork game too.

After that we still had a disaster particularly taking off mul terrible decision playing with a 5 point wind

Realistically the loss is a great thing, so much to work on, English's use of the ball
    DISCIPLINE
    Kyle hayes is not a forward
    Need to get the balance of 6 best forwards
    U-21 game thursday may give some pointers
    I'd play mul everytime think he sets the tone up front for work rate

While I think the loss isn't the end of the world, it was fairly much a collapse in the last 15 mins and that has to have a psychological impact on the players.

Agree with most of the rest. I understand the call at half time but it didn't work out. It's a learning curve for everyone. The big question is can we bounce back from the last 15 minutes, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

They tried hard today, mental and physical fatigue must be a factor after 4 matches.
    First day that the forward replacements made no impact, that was disappointing.
    Good to see Ritchie McCarthy play well as was Tom Condon until he got involved unnecessarily
    Discipline has to be better,we have had 2 fully deserved red cards in 4 matches that were very similar, away from the play striking with the Hurley, in my mind today's red mightn't have happened if an example was made of the first red v Cork, the management have gotten so much right but on this they seem to have not made a stand, I've seen a replay on TV of the incident leading up to the red and it looks like our player made a meal out of the initial coming together, the Clare player was very unlucky to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The first poster to come on here and blame this display on the '3 consecutive games' theory should be executed at dawn.
    We were beaten by a better team that refused to be bullied and outplayed on their home patch.
    As it stands, I feel if we went back to Ennis in 2 or 3 weeks and played them again we would still lose. From the outset of this championship I insisted that Clare would not lose in Ennis,to anyone, and if we went there needing points we would leave empty handed. One bright note is that we're still in the A.I. series thanks to our 3 decent displays.
    I'm not overly disappointed with the loss for that reason as we are guaranteed 2 more games anyway (with respect to Carlow/Westmeath) but we must learn the hard lessons from today.

We were poor from the very start and never got going. First touch missing in a lot of instances. Even guys like Lynch whose first touch is normally brilliant was found wanting. Also, some amount of wasted ball into the forward line, very poor use.

Did not expect us to be dominated physically by what appears a small Clare team. That seems down to hunger and they certainly had more of it than us, beating us to the 50/50s and hounding us when in possession.

Though we took a pasting and they were clearly the better side, would still fancy us on another day anywhere outside Ennis and on a bigger pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

washman3 wrote: »
    The first poster to come on here and blame this display on the '3 consecutive games' theory should be executed at dawn.
    We were beaten by a better team that refused to be bullied and outplayed on their home patch.
    As it stands, I feel if we went back to Ennis in 2 or 3 weeks and played them again we would still lose. From the outset of this championship I insisted that Clare would not lose in Ennis,to anyone, and if we went there needing points we would leave empty handed. One bright note is that we're still in the A.I. series thanks to our 3 decent displays.
    I'm not overly disappointed with the loss for that reason as we are guaranteed 2 more games anyway (with respect to Carlow/Westmeath) but we must learn the hard lessons from today.

You can look at the campaign in two ways really.
    The only teams we beat were the two teams eliminated and we were at home for those games. Flip side is we failed to win away from home to the two eventual finalists.

Defeats like that have resulted in the wheels falling off the wagon in the past so we need to hope this doesn't happen this year. It has been a long year and that was our first defeat in 70 minutes since pre season.

I thought we would win yesterday and felt we needed to win but on the flip side the hype machine has been parked back in the garage and there'll be a few hopping off the bandwagon which might be no harm.

Tactically yesterday I felt Clare gave a masterclass in how to play against us - pressure and workrate to put the man receiving the short pass under pressure (Waterford gave us the freedom of Limerick to do what we liked). The ball into the forwards wasn't half as effective and we reverted to hitting and hoping. We then hit some bad wides. Dowling made a decent effort to win the ball that went in but he was up against it. Clare were able to get their scores that bit easier and it seemed like they packed our half back line area with bodies.

We have a game against Westmeath or Carlow in their home grounds - need to get the job done there with minimal fuss. Then play the losers of Kilkenny and Galway (Galway are a bit ahead of Kilkenny but you can never right them off) where we will be underdogs - we'll know then where we are truly at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Allstars2018

We were poor from the very start and never got going. First touch missing in a lot of instances. Even guys like Lynch whose first touch is normally brilliant was found wanting. Also, some amount of wasted ball into the forward line, very poor use.

Did not expect us to be dominated physically by what appears a small Clare team. That seems down to hunger and they certainly had more of it than us, beating us to the 50/50s and hounding us when in possession.

Though we took a pasting and they were clearly the better side, would still fancy us on another day anywhere outside Ennis and on a bigger pitch
    Pitch in Cusack park is bigger than croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭puzl

https://www.livegaelic.com/features/myth-wide-open-spaces-croke-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

That was a Disappointing result but I'm sure the management will learn from it. Ennis was always going to be our toughest match. I was very disappointed coming home but on reflection we'd have taken 5 points and qualification at the start.

As for the match :

We got our tactics completely wrong yesterday, couldn't understand why we left Jamie shanahan free for all the clare puck outs. His the best distributor of the ball on the clare team and it allowed them to bypass our halfbackline. We should have forced the clare keeper to go long. We reverted back to type in the second half by pucking long aimless balls on top of our outnumbered forwards. The negative approach of bringing on a defender for a forward when we had a strong breeze baffled me. We have a strong panel so why didn't we freshen it up for this match.
    What condon did was ridiculous when he had a chance to play himself back into the team and that's probably the last we'll see of him. Hopefully our management learn from these mistakes. Clare got all their matchups and their tactics right, they were a much better team than us on the day and I think even if we were fresh we would have probably lost that one.

Hopefully we can regroup and have a right crack off Kilkenny or galway in a quarter final. Management got it wrong in this one but they had got a lot of things right before that and we've improved a lot from last year. Everyone of us would have taken winning our two home games and qualifying before the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

I forgot to say well done to the minors , played some great stuff and never gave up when things went against them in a tough atmosphere.

They showed some great bottle epsecially after going 5 points to 0 down and had some great performances. The half backline played very well throughout along with Kirby and O'Connor in midfield. Purcell had a stormer and got some great scores, his a big unit for this age group. O Neill and O'leary also impressed.

Clare had a good minor team with very dangerous forwards so beating them in Ennis was a massive resul, fair play to the lads. Best of luck in the final and they deserve our support against a strong Tipperary team.

TIL, thanks.

Poor effort from the u-21's last night

Most concerning thing was the state of senior players, even Barry Murphy was leaden and he didn't play the last few weeks, we'll know 10 mins into a QF how we are going to get on, if the same lethargy is across the senior panel as it appeared to be against clare then our goose is cooked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Poor effort from the u-21's last night

Most concerning thing was the state of senior players, even Barry Murphy was leaden and he didn't play the last few weeks, we'll know 10 mins into a QF how we are going to get on, if the same lethargy is across the senior panel as it appeared to be against clare then our goose is cooked

Agree. have certain teams mentally convinced themselves that this 'fatigue factor' theory actually exists.? its total rubbish and annoying at this stage.
    Contrast this with Cork U21's the previous night with there senior players playing just 3 days after that humdinger with Waterford. They all stood up to the plate with flying colours.
    What summed it up for me was Fitzgibbon winning a ball on his own 20 metre line, in injury time, soloing the length of the pitch and giving a perfect pass for a Cork score. This is a guy that has played every minute of every game of Cork's senior campaign. Got man of the match in that U21 game also scoring 3-4 points. No talk of fatigue with him, or indeed Kingston,Coleman and Flynn.
    Last night we had a senior panel member being roasted by a Tipp player just out of minor (albeit an excellent Tipp player). This guy was picked on the senior panel ahead of Alan Dempsey. The mind boggles.

Well done to Tipp. Fought like tigers for every ball coupled with brilliant skill and stickwork. Fully deserved winners. Just disappointing that we failed to deliver a performance.

washman3 wrote: »
    Agree. have certain teams mentally convinced themselves that this 'fatigue factor' theory actually exists.? its total rubbish and annoying at this stage.
    Contrast this with Cork U21's the previous night with there senior players playing just 3 days after that humdinger with Waterford. They all stood up to the plate with flying colours.
    What summed it up for me was Fitzgibbon winning a ball on his own 20 metre line, in injury time, soloing the length of the pitch and giving a perfect pass for a Cork score. This is a guy that has played every minute of every game of Cork's senior campaign. Got man of the match in that U21 game also scoring 3-4 points. No talk of fatigue with him, or indeed Kingston,Coleman and Flynn.
    Last night we had a senior panel member being roasted by a Tipp player just out of minor (albeit an excellent Tipp player). This guy was picked on the senior panel ahead of Alan Dempsey. The mind boggles.

Well done to Tipp. Fought like tigers for every ball coupled with brilliant skill and stickwork. Fully deserved winners. Just disappointing that we failed to deliver a performance.

Probably more to do with conditioning, our fellas are a bit top heavy while cork are pretty light on their feet. Looks like we're designed to play Galway/KK, a lively team could run us off our feet. Cork didn't but we put everything into that game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Leinster final going to a replay is great news for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Dont forget that Carlow bate limerick before and there was huge fallout over it. Watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrcqLOCBh3w

Well lads its kk in qf whats the thinking? for me i think we'll need to be at our best and better if we're to beat them i do think hurling wise we prob have more hurlers than them but they'll refuse to give up and will keep coming and coming plus they'll refuse to be beaten by limerick as they'd always expect to beat us. This is a different limerick team though with serious hurlers an image from the first 20 minutes of the Waterford match keeps coming to mind that's when a Waterford player had the ball and was surrounded if not accosted by 3-4 limerick players he'd nowhere to go thats the intensity we'll need. Looking forward to the build up

We should/need to win this, manage reid and Hogan and keep discipline and playing with proper intensity and we will win.

KK got a couple of jaunty goals yesterday and we're not galway we should still be good enough to win

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

Hi guys. Hoping to travel to Semple Stadium on Sunday. Does anyone know how I can get a wheelchair ticket for it? I wouldn't travel to many games hence the question, and there isn't any wheelchair specific tickets or information on it on the GAA website.

Thanks.

Ring GAA HQ in the morning, am sure theyll sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Pandiani

Think you need to go through county board for disabled tickets, ring (061) 326 500.

Advertisement