Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

Thanks WSH, yeah, we've really, really suffered to get here but one thing I will say, with all sincerity is leaving Croke Park in 2013 was about as bad as I've ever felt after a match and if you'd told me that Hannon, the centre of the meltdown that day, would go on to become the first captain in the history of the game to lift the Liam McCarthy cup four times I'd have never believed you. I don't really know how he's done it. he doesn't strike me as the type to write a tell-all book about it either, but i wish he would because it's an interesting journey. (Actually, any journalist could do worse than to write about the development of the panels of both Limerick and Clare post 2013 - I know I expected ye to win a good few more whereas i was honestly so depressed about our future.)

Clare are the only team to draw with us in 3 years, ye are very close to the top of the mountain too. I know the semi-final is still hard for ye to comprehend but park it and focus on how good ye were in Munster.

Anyhow, i thought we were in trouble at the 62 minute when the teams were level again but the resilience to get the next 5 points was incredible. Luimneach Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭shockframe

1995 and 2013 were very demoralising days but there was way more cause for optimism in 2013.

The underage foundations were shaky in the mid 90s and chances were always going to be limited which proved to be the case after the 1997 campaign. The underage was transformed as the 2010s began and when we lost to Clare in 2013 they had Paul Kinnerk involved (and a few from Physio/S+C). Once Kinnerk was around the area there was just cause to be positive.

We've been so fortunate it all came together the last 5 years. Couldn't have asked for better.

The underage structures of the mid 90s still gave us our three in a row u21's team but yeah, completely different eras alright.

If Paul Kinnerk had stayed with Clare is one of the imponderable debates of hurling imo (and if Meelick had allowed the Casey's move to Cratloe...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

That was a day for all days there today. Each time we suffered a sucker punch there was a response. Truly brilliant hurlers we have. We really don't know how good we have it with these guys. They are just class hurlers and a joy to watch. Those guys bringing a smile to more than 50k of us in green in croker today was special. The best we've ever had and a credit to themselves and their families. What a time to be alive

Post edited by Browney7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Fair play lads 4 titles out of 5 is some achievement, i hope the young people in Limerick appreciate what special times these are for ye. As rightly pointed out on the Sunday game the HF line of Hegarty/ Morrissey plus 1 of of Lynch or Hayes will have to go down as as an all time great. 3-14 from Hegarty in 3 finals is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭dvega

Lot of sore heads today.

Limerick finally belongs in a elite group for 3 in a row. Party on now for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What's the news on the homecoming tonight.? Team will be in Gaelic Grounds at 7pm.

is there an open top bus from the station through the city to the grounds like 2018.?

And where can we get a ticket for Gaelic Grounds.?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Ticketmaster and yes there is an open topped bus from the station but you better get your skates on. Enjoy.

Can any insider give us an insight into who coaches the various aspects of Limerick's hurling. Super product but must entail various components.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Well done and fair play to Limerick on getting the 3 in a row, a great achievement by any standards. It's great to see a county other than the big 3 do it and consistently play to a certain standard everyday, even on days when ye are not playing well ye still are able to pull through. The team is still fairly young, so will probably get a few more before they finish, they might even overtake the great Kilkenny team from the 06 to 15 era yet, but, that's for the future. I'd love my own county Galway (the hurlers)to emulate some of the success ye have had over the last few years, we have the resources but, not everyone seems to be pulling in the same direction like in Limerick. Hopefully we'll have Sam in Galway next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,728 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

This is very ironic coming from a Limerick fan but i'de love to see Galway win. It's great to see Sam get spread around a bit finally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Amazing Amazing team

To see your best player go down a week before a game, and come out and win.............bottle

Dan morrissey had a huge end to the game, just mentioning him specifically because no one else has

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭einn32

Yeah he hasn't been mentioned at all really. I thought he played really well. I still can't believe we have won 3 AIs in a row when I think back on all the bad days!

How bad is Cian Lynch injury? I haven't heard much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Looking back on the game yesterday I thought Kyle Hayes was incredible. I know hego got great scores but hayes was all over the pitch and all his scores were winning dirty ball, breaking tackles and popping it over. He gave the hal back line great help in 2nd half when it got ropey.

Yes I agree I though Dan was brilliant yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Been buzzing the last couple of days. It was an absolute cracker of a match to be at, both teams absolutely left it on the pitch with Limerick just having that little bit more in the tank. Can hardly say it was the bench that made the difference seen as the KK bench contributed massively in the second half. Hego was just unmarkable yesterday, he was everywhere. One minute he was on his own wing, the next on Morrissey's, then back helping out in the corner. His GPS stats must have been off the charts.

I was a bit worried with the heat, I thought Limerick's size would count against them but it wasn't as big a factor as I thought. It had looked like Gillane was carrying a bit of a knock, he minded himself for the match but you'd never have guessed that Hayes/Reidy were injured by the way they played. You'd have to ask some questions about the S&C after the run we've had with injuries this year. There just seem to have been too many for it to be bad luck.

Byrnes has to be HOTY after this. His point in the first half was a real crowd lifter and even though it could just as easily be given to Nash, Byrnes has to get it for me. Also what a man Hannon is, he really has become a leader, even more so the last couple of seasons. Couple of inspirational scores from him yesterday. Lynch was a massive loss all year and I think the reason so many teams were that bit closer to us this year, a 50/50 shmozzle without him becomes a 60/40 with him. He really is a difference of 4-5 point on day his there. I reckon the team will most likely have benefited from having to win without him though. As if they didn't need more belief.

One final point on TJ, what a hurler the man is. His ability to win ball, on the ground, in the air it doesn't matter. How many scores did KK get from him and finding a man in space. He's carried KK for a lot of years and it was a privilege to see him again yesterday. Had he been a few years older he'd no doubt have the 10 AI's Shefflin has.

Great seeing them come home yesterday. I'll never get tired of these Glory Days! Luimneach Abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Fair play... Limerick were deserving winners on Sunday.... Great champions. On TJ Reid there's a couple of lads on the main forum thought he was only average on Sunday 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭billyhead

They must have watched the wrong game. The amount of dirty ball he won on Sunday was something else. His catching is fantastic aswell. He must be a real nuisance to play against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I think so 👍..... Unfortunately we needed a few more like him to beat that team of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭High bike

Just watched a replay of it ,by my reckoning he was directly involved in 1-15,including 12 of the 16 pts in the first half.Id say if u ask any of the Limerick backs who caused them the most headaches he's the man

as a fellow Clareman I agree completely. A very generous comment. Personally if none of the three counties Tipperary, Cork and Kilkenny win another all Ireland for a decade, I won't be upset. Their arrogance over the decades that I have followed hurling was unbearable.

Afaik that's how they ended up in with na Piarsaigh, but that's going back years at this stage. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone on the Clare thread can correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Na Piarsaigh always pulls from parts of Meelick Parish like Coonagh. Unusual for them to get fellas actually over the border in the Clare part of Meelick parish. Hard for Kids in Meelick..Parteen are brutal aswell and Na Piarsaigh is very near.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

A lot of kids from the likes of Meelick, Cratloe and Coonagh are from Limerick and would support Limerick so playing in our championship would appeal to them.

Afaik there's a bar to moving clubs internally in Clare (which obviously isn't unusual), but the County Board don't enforce the bar on crossing county borders. Same in Limerick btw, we had a minor a few years back who left his Limerick club to join a Tipp club but weirdly still played minor for us. No idea how that was acceptable but I'm 99% certain that's what happened.

Anyhow, I'm far more interested in what might have happened if it had been Lohan and Kinnerk in charge in of Clare in 2013 and not Fitzy and Kinnerk.

Kiely deserves massive credit for keeping the show going. I presume he has an ego like the rest of us but he lets others take the credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

how good does this feel lads kilkenny beaten in the final just makes it massive for me considering what they've achieved under cody.

drive on and win as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭einn32

We've beaten all in Munster and the Leinster finalists! Unbelievable achievement!

• Advertisement

I know you don't have to win every game but I do love this aspect of the round robin.

In 18 we beat Cork, Waterford, Tipp, Carlow, Kilkenny and Galway. Had an absolute belter of a drawn game with Cork too. Felt a lot more hard won than Cork, Tipp (with back door safety), Waterford and Cork in 21

Tipp in 19 beat Cork, Waterford, Clare, Limerick, Wexford and Kilkenny.

Advertisement