Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Byrnes needs to play a game like he did the last 20 mins in cork

Hannon to work his socks off

Think it comes down to our half backs and dominating

Think we'll score enough

This match last year, we weren't good enough and were very naïve, pat ryan and jimbob came off the bench and hit wides and went for goals when if they'd tacked on 4 points we'd have really pushed KK, the mental attitude is far stronger this year need to stop letting other teams off the hook and drive it home - Waterford done it last year up to us to follow sit

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭glasagusban

Byrnes needs to play a game like he did the last 20 mins in cork

Hannon to work his socks off

Think it comes down to our half backs and dominating

Think we'll score enough

This match last year, we weren't good enough and were very naïve, pat ryan and jimbob came off the bench and hit wides and went for goals when if they'd tacked on 4 points we'd have really pushed KK, the mental attitude is far stronger this year need to stop letting other teams off the hook and drive it home - Waterford done it last year up to us to follow sit
    Not sure about our scoring power, presuming the same 6 forwards as against Carlow start. Morrissey has been consistent but Hayes and Hegarty need huge improvement from the Clare game. Of our full forwards, i wouldn't be confident of any of Gillane, Flanagan or Mulcahy getting the better of their kk markers, but hopefully one of them does.

They just have to contribute and work the score board, last years game was very very low scoring the same can happen again gillane won't clean out paul murphy for sure but if he got a couple i'd take that, if Flanagan breaks ball for mul and casey when he's on great. work for everything and eek out the win. If no one picks up Richie Hogan (don't think cody start him, fennelly will start) when he comes on he'll beat us on his own like in 2014, id have a man prepped all week to mark him, sit on the bench and bring him on at the same time, colin ryan be my first choice but that won't happen

Byrnes and Hannon are huge for us, they have to step up - can't be relying on lads pulling deep to bail them out. Kyle hayes do not go for goal, tac on points and work the scoreboard

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Are you all quietly hopeful that Limerick can pull off a win against the Cats?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

angeleyes wrote: »

I wouldn't say quietly hopeful - just hopeful.

50/50 game and there's still a lot of unknown on Limerick and I'd be concerned about our lack of goals (discounting that Carlow turkey shoot).

I don't think it's possible to be confident on a prediction either way with KK playing a few weeks on the bounce and Limerick looking a bit heavy in the legs against Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

angeleyes wrote: »

I'm hopeful, the Limerick panel and management are to be congratulated for the way they've gone about their business.
    Year to date (including the Clare game) it's been a mostly positive year.

Sunday will be how the team of 2018 will be remembered good or bad.

The concerns I have are around lack of discipline sometimes, I'm not convinced we have a top class free-taker and the cohesion in defence could be better related to this I think the half-back line is not as strong as its been touted to be, I don't know if it could be improved much but I think Alan Dempsey's absence from the panel is looking more like a mistake the longer the year goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hurlingtalk

@hurlingtalk1

@LimerickCLG won possession from 35 out of their 53 long puck outs in their performances against @TipperaryGAA and @OfficalCorkGAA .

1-14 coming off these puck outs

66.03 per cent win ratio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭PlayByTheRules

You are so right about this, they have scored so many over the past 2-3 years that have kept them in games.

You are so right about this, they have scored so many over the past 2-3 years that have kept them in games.

It's not even scrappy ones, they can create and get goals when they are needed like no other team. The two goals in the game in the rain in 2014 were crucial for them that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

Notable that Carlow targetted Byrnes with their puck outs for the first 10/15 minutes and he struggled to deal with it, they got a couple of frees and a point or two and it kept them in the game early on, Limerick took control thereafter.

I’m sure Kilkenny sent someone on reconnaissance duty, between that, the fact Hannon is a zonal marker, and the fact we don’t know our number 1 full back, there’s plenty there for them to exploit.

We pushed them to the end last year in the qualifiers when we were in nowhere near as good shape as we are this year but they have improved a fair bit too, I’d still give them the nod unfortunately, but I’m not as fearful going into this game as I have been in the past for a Kilkenny game.

I'd be shocked if the first part is true. Byrnes is one of the best aerial fielders we have, I struggle to believe he of all people would be targeted for that.

I'd disagree that Kilkenny have improved a fair bit also. I think they're the weakest they've been in a while and they have been flattering to deceive so far in this championship.

That said though, am I worried about Sunday? Absolutely. I think now is the time to beat Kilkenny if there ever was one and I'd be disappointed if we don't get the job done, but again wouldn't be overly surprised either. I just hope we give a good account of ourselves whatever happens and are back to the normal gameplan after the anomaly that was the Clare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Cheese Wagstaff

So you weren’t at it?

About four puck outs in a row down on Byrnes, wing forward won each time, got a point from one, hit a poor wide with one, fouled twice leading to two easy free’s for Carlow. He did alright thereafter but struggled to get to grips for the first 10/15 minutes and it enabled Carlow to get the scores that initially kept them in the game.

I think you've got me wrong. I'm in no way disputing the facts of the game (which I was not at), but I'm just finding it hard to believe that Carlow targeted him for puck outs. It's more likely that the Carlow wing forward was their primary ball winner and it just so happened that he was on Diarmaid. Is it impossible that they decided to target him? No, of course not. I just find it incredibly unlikely given his aerial strength, that's all.

Wow, wow and wow. A game we could have been out of sight in but for some unbelievable goalkeeping, a game we could have crumbled in but we finished it out.

We were slow to get going in both halves but thankfully we never got the panic button. Played some intelligent hurling although it did break down at times resulting in KK scores.

Full forward line did very well, showing for balls and making a lot of runs getting out in front. The hard work from the backs getting it to a man in space to deliver the ball in was absolutely crucial.

Singling out a few players: O'Donovan hurled a world of ball with some great scores, Morrissey - wow, some finish and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and hauling us over the line!

Was happy for Dowling. He made some crucial plays when he game on and was crucial to getting the win - delighted for him especially.

Huge huge win - great character and we go again in two weeks in another fifty fifty game. That'll be an occasion to savour

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Browney7 wrote: »
    Wow, wow and wow. A game we could have been out of sight in but for some unbelievable goalkeeping, a game we could have crumbled in but we finished it out.

We were slow to get going in both halves but thankfully we never got the panic button. Played some intelligent hurling although it did break down at times resulting in KK scores.

Full forward line did very well, showing for balls and making a lot of runs getting out in front. The hard work from the backs getting it to a man in space to deliver the ball in was absolutely crucial.

Singling out a few players: O'Donovan hurled a world of ball with some great scores, Morrissey - wow, some finish and grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck and hauling us over the line!

Was happy for Dowling. He made some crucial plays when he game on and was crucial to getting the win - delighted for him especially.

Huge huge win - great character and we go again in two weeks in another fifty fifty game. That'll be an occasion to savour

A fifty fifty game between two teams who know each other well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great win for us. Brilliant game. End to end. Eoin Murphy was MOTM. Thought Seamus Flanagan and Gearoid Hegarty were immense. Don't know why he was taken off. Peter Casey scored 2 great points when he came on. Roll on Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Its great to have options of the bench. They all played a rolenin getting us over the line. I thought our full forward line was starved of ball at times when it was clear we had the better ofbit in there. I suppose the game plan of working it between the lines on a day like today leads to that. When Kilkenny scored the goal it was impressive that we stuck to "the process". The short passing broke down a few times in the last quarter and the crowd were roaring to get rid of the ball up the field including me but they stayed true. We should have been out of sight with the goal chances/saves but hopefully we were saving the goals for the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Well done lads on the win today. It could have gone either way at the end but I thought ye made better use of the ball and were the more skillful team. The response to the KK goal was immense. I thought that would have won it for us. But to score three points in a row really showed great character. Best of luck in the semi-final.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

pajoguy wrote: »
    The short passing broke down a few times in the last quarter and the crowd were roaring to get rid of the ball up the field including me but they stayed true.
    Yeah so was I tbh :) That's why we're posting on boards whereas Kiely actually knows his stuff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Lads, anyone know details of the minor match against KK this week? Cant find it online.

EDIT: NVM, see that its down for Sat 3pm in Thurles. Hopefully stick another dagger in them cats!

A brilliant win. Well done to all involved.

The two morrisseys were exceptional

Straight after the goal, Tom's point where he caught the puckout turned and drove it over was exceptional, gillane was almost in his way!!

Mulcahy's cool head and workrate were invaluable

DOD and Hannon hitting great scores after our rocky spell in the first half

So much could be said but just roll on the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Browney7 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say quietly hopeful - just hopeful.

50/50 game and there's still a lot of unknown on Limerick and I'd be concerned about our lack of goals (discounting that Carlow turkey shoot).

I don't think it's possible to be confident on a prediction either way with KK playing a few weeks on the bounce and Limerick looking a bit heavy in the legs against Clare.

Hon Limerick - well we didn't get the goals and it wasn't for lack of trying - Limerick did face an excellent goal keeper.

I think this team . are knocking on the door of an All Ireland maybe not this year but next year. John Kiely is doing a fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Great day in Thurles yesterday. Have to say the Limerick support was great. Loud and passionate from beginning to end.
    The most positive thing for me is that there is still lots of room for improvement. I dont think this group have had even close to a perfect performance yet. As a young group every game is massive n terms of experience and development. Beating Kilkenny, even a newer weaker Kilkenny than we have known from recent past, is a huge confidence boost for each of them.
    I expect Cork to be an even game much like the PuC game. Hopefully we have gained a little more in the last few matches to get our noses ahead of them in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Tickets available now on gaa.tickets.ie lads and lasses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

True indeed. Yet none of them offered any plausible alternatives except for throwing a few possible managers names about that were either retired, not interested or unavailable.
    Kiely has done well. (disregard Ennis)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Well done lads, gutted to lose such a close battle, thought we had it when Hogan got the goal but it was an unbelievable response from Limerick to score the next three points (all good scores)… hope ye go on to win it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Well done lads on the win today. It could have gone either way at the end but I thought ye made better use of the ball and were the more skillful team. The response to the KK goal was immense. I thought that would have won it for us. But to score three points in a row really showed great character. Best of luck in the semi-final.
    Charlie69 wrote: »
    Well done lads, gutted to lose such a close battle, thought we had it when Hogan got the goal but it was an unbelievable response from Limerick to score the next three points (all good scores)… hope ye go on to win it now.

It's posts like these that make the game of hurling the unrivalled sport that it is.
    And no doubt they echo the sentiments of the vast majority of KK fans.
    Cheers lads and we hope to have many repeat epic encounters down the line.

• Advertisement

Advertisement