Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

What a win, voice still isn't right after it!

As mentioned above, massive credit to Cork and their supporters. Massive passion from them and very gracious and respectful in defeat. A few Cork fans left as Pat Ryan's goal went in but every one of them, that I saw, shook hands with the Limerick supporters they passed in their row and offered their congratulations. Classy from them

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

So who would you prefer to see Limerick play in the All Ireland? Or...does it matter? Can Limerick beat either Galway or Clare ?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Only out of the leaba after being there yesterday. All that needs to be said is:

'HON LIMERICK!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Hurling Rankings

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

washman3 wrote: »
    Cheers Bonnie,
    Many Limerick people also have a soft spot for your footballers, especially when your're playing Kerry....;)

What about that no good West Limerick contingent?

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

So if we don't have Limerick jerseys - this is what we might be wearing in Croker on Sunday 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

What about that no good West Limerick contingent?

:P

They're a dying breed back there now.!!
    The majority changed their opinion a few years back when they saw the attitude of some Kerry fans when Limerick footballers had a decent team and threatened the cosy Kerry/Cork monopoly in Munster finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

It's great to see this thread on page 3, everyone buying into the no hype mantra!

Congratulations to all on a great win on Sunday, it was a mighty come back and nickys save one for the ages

Realistically we left it way too late, a couple of individuals had terrible games, opposition won't miss this. Collectively we were only ok, we got great service into gillane but nothing much else through the lines really, mulcahy hegarty were individually brilliant and kept us in it. Dowling and Casey integrated the whole thing when on.

There's a case for wod or Colin Ryan at half back especially v clare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Dowling to start ahead of Flanagan? He hasnt been great last few games except in fits and starts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭billyhead

Although Flanagan had a quiet game by his standards against Cork I would leave Dowling as the impact sub an start the same team in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

washman3 wrote: »
    They're a dying breed back there now.!!
    The majority changed their opinion a few years back when they saw the attitude of some Kerry fans when Limerick footballers had a decent team and threatened the cosy Kerry/Cork monopoly in Munster finals.
    Too true. Very magnanimous to other teams until you beat them. In all the books written by ex Kerry players and commentators they never give credit to Cork Down Dublin Tyrone Armagh Offaly for beating them. Its always a referees fault or they had a lot of injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Like paddy think we've issues in hb line or at least we had v cork in semi. Morrissey and byrnes coughed up possession way too easily for me but we got away with it in the end we might not be so lucky the next day.

Credit to cork and their supporters to a man that i met were respectful and v sporting in defeat wishing us the best and shaking hands when they were leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Lurker here that doesn't post much.

Born and bred a Limerick man. Love going to games when I can, busy home and work life gets in the way more that I would like.

My tuppence worth;

Highly impressed with this group of hurlers. I am seeing a few things in them something that successful teams need to have.

There is a maturity in this team that puts them in a really good position to win the All Ireland. They did not get flustered or frustrated at any time during the semi final. With 6 minutes of normal time left, they took control of the game, knocked off the scores and did the business. There was a coolness about them that I have never seen in a Limerick senior hurling team. They were clinical in their execution of their game plan. Never varied, stuck to it no matter what was happening. Also hats off to John Kiely and hit team. They made the changes when needed. Flawless.

Only slight worry I would have is the excitement of the supporters spilling over into the psyche of the team. I think these guys are mature and strong headed enough to be insulated from it, but there is always the doubt. The county board have a role to play here in allowing access to the team etc.

Fingers crossed. Supporters need it. Its been a hell of a long time. As a inside 'outsider', I think this is our best chance. We can go to Croke Park not fearing any team.

Luimneach abú

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Wow that was a good result for Limerick today. Imagine losing to Clare again! It doesn't bear thinking about.
    I think Limerick have a right good chance of beating Galway. There's goals to be got by running straight down the middle. I acknowledge that Galway are a fine side. Love watching Whelan and the Cooneys but they look abit vulnerable

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is gonna be a great night out in Dublin for us neutrals. I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Anybody any idea when the clubs will be issued with their allocations. Surely clubs will be holding draws for tickets befoee the weekend so people can make plans or at the latest monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

pajoguy wrote: »
    Anybody any idea when the clubs will be issued with their allocations. Surely clubs will be holding draws for tickets befoee the weekend so people can make plans or at the latest monday night.

i dont think so normally they dont get allocated until next week , season tickets are been sent out this friday so it will probably be after that contact your club but normally it wont be until next week

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Does a co board season ticket give entitlement to buy ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

TL17 wrote: »
    Does a co board season ticket give entitlement to buy ticket?

I don't think so, I think it's only the gaa season tickets that give entitlements to tickets for county matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I don't think so, I think it's only the gaa season tickets that give entitlements to tickets for county matches.

Prediction for final......

LK 2-28 Galway 1-31 with Galway to sneak it in replay 2-23 to 1-24.......canning to get mom and hoty awards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Lmk 3-19 Gal 1-22 no replay��

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

I think Galway will win the final. my reasons are and this is just my opinion on watching Limerick play this year.

1. The failure to perform against Clare. People say that Limerick are better team now and they probably are but I be worried that this could happen again in a high pressure environment. 1973 is a long time to deliver an All Ireland so the pressure on them will be huge even though they won't let it on, it will still affect them in some shape or form. Waterford failed to bridge the gap last year and this may happen Limerick too

2. I be worried that they left Cork go 6 points up and only performed after the 63 min after Cork burning out and they did get lucky with one or two ref decisions which swung momentum in their favour. Galway will be fitter than Cork and will have more scoring threats and will have a bench too if required. If Cork had a bench i reckon they would have beaten Limerick rather comfortably and would be straight into the final.

3. 1980 1994 1996 and 2007 have been poor finals for Limerick and the occasion got to them. 1994 was the one that got away and probably should have won. That's facing the current Limerick panel now as they try to create their own piece of history.

4..This Limerick team haven't been here recently in senior level. They were at the semi final stage in 2013 and collapsed on the day to Clare. Galway were here 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2018 with good few of the panel involved . They have lost and won as a team so they are highly experienced.

5. Have Limerick management got a plan B if the main tactics aren't working against Galway in the final? Galway will have their homework done. Have the Limerick management got it on the line? Will Limerick management team outfox Galways management team? That question remains to be seen.

Galway by 4 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

@speakerboxx

I'd agree and disagree with some of what you are saying.

If Limerick lose it won't be bacause of 45 years or weights of expectations, it will be because we were beaten by a better team. England didn't lose to Croatia because of '66 and three lions etc, they just weren't good enough.

I'm watching Limerick teams for the past 20 years and this team just refuse to give up which is an admirable trait. When the chips are down they stand up.

The Clare game was a funny one, we were beat out the gap that day and were beaten at our game essentially - a team that could play the short passing game a bit better then us and crowd us out in the middle third and left our full forward line exposed. Losing Finn and missing Gillane (through stupidity in Cork) didn't help either on top of Tom Condon thinking he was playing in the sixties - no complaints that day, hammered out the gap. Ennis has been a graveyard for many a Limerick team.

The Cork game, we finished strongly no question. Thought the ref let the Cork backs away with a lot more than Limerick for long periods so any favourable decisions we got in the second half (I recall the push in the back for Lynch's goal which was being let go all game and the blatant push on Horgan late on). Rode our luck - hoggie hitting the post and Quaid's save - but Clare hit the post and missed gilt edged chances against Galway.

I think that Limerick have a serious zip to them at the moment and are hopping off the ground and getting better every game. I'm hopeful for the final - Galway looked washed out in the second half against Clare after the game the previous weekend (understandable in the heat too) and looked leggy but ground it out like champions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

pajoguy wrote: »
    Limerick Hurling on Facebook says 30,000 for the competing counties, Limerick Leader says 15,000. If we exclude the 2000 minor tickets that still leaves a huge discrepancy. No way are there 28,000 paid up members of clubs in Limerick anyway.

Limerick Hurling on Facebook says 30,000 for the competing counties, Limerick Leader says 15,000. If we exclude the 2000 minor tickets that still leaves a huge discrepancy. No way are there 28,000 paid up members of clubs in Limerick anyway.

Would expect that's 30k combined for competing senior counties. There are 2600 approx clubs affiliated with the gaa worldwide (knock off 200 for Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny) and you get 2400 clubs. I always thought it was 2 tickets per club if they had an adult team and four if they fielded in both codes (non competing counties).

That's 40k but there was an article before specifying approx 60k went to county boards so they probably keep back Hill and nally tickets from initial allocations.

Limerick Gaa will have their own rules how they distribute their allocation but I suspect senior clubs will get a good share more than junior clubs. There'll be a lot of hocus pocus and creative solutions used to get tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Happy enough to be playing Galway in the final, they were a better team than Clare but left Clare in the game both times and they should have won the 2nd one

Galway look a tad weary and if we compete at a ferocious pace and take our chances we can win. Galway still have a very strong spine but we don't have to worry about pace too much.

First 15 need to have the right attitude the subs will win it for us is the wrong mindset, take them on from the start.

Gillane and hegarty will have tough tests but maybe we can get change out of the other side but in the end work rate and keeping cool and taking our chances will win this

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Browney7 wrote: »
    Would expect that's 30k combined for competing senior counties. There are 2600 approx clubs affiliated with the gaa worldwide (knock off 200 for Limerick, Galway and Kilkenny) and you get 2400 clubs. I always thought it was 2 tickets per club if they had an adult team and four if they fielded in both codes (non competing counties).

That's 40k but there was an article before specifying approx 60k went to county boards so they probably keep back Hill and nally tickets from initial allocations.

Limerick Gaa will have their own rules how they distribute their allocation but I suspect senior clubs will get a good share more than junior clubs. There'll be a lot of hocus pocus and creative solutions used to get tickets!

No exact rules on what clubs from non competing counties get as it's the relevant county boards that decide. We're a senior club in Clare with 2 adult teams and get 5 tickets but a club with 3 adult teams will get more or a football only club might get 3 (we don't play any football but still get 3 all ireland football tickets).

The 30,000 tickets for competing counties is the combined figure.

No exact rules on what clubs from non competing counties get as it's the relevant county boards that decide. We're a senior club in Clare with 2 adult teams and get 5 tickets but a club with 3 adult teams will get more or a football only club might get 3 (we don't play any football but still get 3 all ireland football tickets).

Oh yeah that goes without saying for the non competing counties. It might be more like an average of three per club per code given to counties but the county board decide then who to give them to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Well then the semi-official FB page has got it wrong -

https://www.facebook.com/Limerick4liam/posts/2231329587090233

The approximate breakdown of tickets for the 82,000 sell-out All-Ireland Final is: county allocations (60,000); premium/corporate (10,000); provinces (355); overseas (470); former GAA Presidents (800); camogie (140); ladies football (100); rounders/handball (200); sponsors (1,000); media (325); schools (2,250); third-level (240); local residents (200); national referee panel (130); jubilee teams (70) and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Well then the semi-official FB page has got it wrong -

https://www.facebook.com/Limerick4liam/posts/2231329587090233

The approximate breakdown of tickets for the 82,000 sell-out All-Ireland Final is: county allocations (60,000); premium/corporate (10,000); provinces (355); overseas (470); former GAA Presidents (800); camogie (140); ladies football (100); rounders/handball (200); sponsors (1,000); media (325); schools (2,250); third-level (240); local residents (200); national referee panel (130); jubilee teams (70) and others.

I'd say they mean 60,000 tickets between all county boards whether they're competing or not.

Advertisement