Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

unbelievable second half performance , 0-21 to 1-4 ye outscored them 2-7 to 0-20 from play in total , its going to be hard to stop ye in a 5 in a row quest now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Rosita

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Getting out of Munster was the biggest obstacle this year.

Munster could roll a lot easier next summer.

only realized that afterwards its still a very impressive score line in 35 minutes of hurling

Oh yeah, not arguing that. Just for accuracy. The second half was good. There was far too much fawning over a middling Kilkenny team after they got through last year's final with honour intact as if it was a fair reflection of where they were at. The second half put that in perspective and did the Limerick team justice. The significance of Cian Lynch not being there last year was laid bare today as he pulled the strings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

that roll he plays is crucial to delivering quality ball into the forwards , if mike casey gets man of the match its all down to him , we done the same with kelly in the semi final and but for all the goal chances we left behind we would have most likley been the victims today

barry nash deserves hurler of the yeay in my opinion but defenders rarely get it

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

Amazed Nash didn't get into the Sunday Game's team of the year. He's been brilliant and should be in it. David Blanchfield and Cathal Malone would have been in my team of the year too. And I'd have Cathal Mannion ahead of TJ. A legend and had a decent game in the semi final and final but nowhere near team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Never bought into the idea that winning titles 'in a row' is the ultimate test of a teams greatness. This Limerick team has now won five all irelands, five munsters and three leagues, winning all 13 finals that they have contested, and is unequivocally one of the greatest GAA teams of all time.

Unreal display in the second half yesterday....Casey's shooting was exceptional but my three man of the match nominees would be Byrnes, Hayes and Lynch. Lynch was the best player on the field, especially during the first half when we weren't motoring. Superb management to allow him to recuperate during the Munster championship ensuring that he was fully fit and firing on all cylinders for the all ireland series.

Sunday game gave Hayes player of the year, which I'd ultimately agree with, he was outstanding throughout the championship, including from a defensive perspective.

Seemed to be a consensus from pundits in the lead up to the match that kilkenny had improved from last year. This wasn't supported by their actual results or performances though, they are a very good team with 5 or 6 top players but were overmatched when Limerick hit top gear. Tom Phelan was excellent in defeat.

• Advertisement

Phelan was their one forward though he was patchy enough too. Took a few bad options.

I think the manner of Limerick's win is what confirms greatness. It was good that Kilkenny got to the final as if Clare were well beaten in the final it'd be written off as a Clare collapse whereas Kilkenny always show up. Cian Lynch makes some difference to the team. Easily known he was missing in last year's final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Well done to Limerick, a superb team. Very hard to see who will stop them doing 5 in a row as there really isn't anyone close to them right now. They might have struggled a bit in Munster, but, there's a sense that they were aiming to peak for the All Ireland series. Looking at the contenders, most are in some form of rebuild or simply not good enough. Kilkenny and Clare are probably the most settled of the contenders, Clare have ran Limerick close, but, have failed against Kilkenny 2 years running and Kilkenny are simply not good enough to take Limerick down, plus TJ isn't getting any younger and might well call it a day. Of the other contenders Cork, Tipp, Galway, Waterford and Wexford are all at various stages of rebuilds and look a long way off being able to challenge Limerick at the business end of the championship.

Limerick are still a fairly young tream considering all they have won, physically dominant over everyone else and have terrific skill levels and it doesn't seem to matter who they are missing, the next man up seems to be able to fill the void, they obviously have huge inner belief as well. I think the only thing that might stop them is if complacency sets in, but, I can't see Kiely letting that happen. What they are doing is really remarkable especially coming from a County that was starved of success for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Well done yesterday..ye are an excellent team..I'd.ignore all the shite talk and begrudgery about jp..I doubt any county team lack anything they need..there are painful posters from every county on this forum at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

A Kilkenny supporter here.

Just felt I should come on here and congratulate ye on an absolute brilliant performance yesterday. To be fair, the second half was the best I’ve seen.

Total hurling at its best!

That team are simply incredible.

Enjoy the win and realistically it’s whether ye can beat Dublin’s record at this stage!

well done Limerick.

kilkenny supporter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

I echo all the above sentiments. That second half performance yesterday was breathtaking. It was a pleasure to be there to witness it. The scary thing is the age demographic is still good and some high quality young blood has beem bedded in seemlessly. Sone support Limerick have too. Even in the bad days it was good. A team for the ages. The best imo. And not even close to being finished stocking up the trophy cabiney. Congrats lads.

Well done Limerick and to be fair I haven't seen posters from other counties knocking this Limerick team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Congratulations lads, a fantastic performance from a fantastic team. As a Kilkenny man I’m obviously hugely disappointed but the best team won and I have to say I enjoyed the craic with the Limerick supporters all day and they were also very magnanimous in victory.

Fair play to ye and as someone said earlier f**k the begrudgers and enjoy the celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cave_dweller

It was great to be in the city yesterday and see everyone enjoying themselves so much!! 4 in a row and Limerick people are just loving it. After all the pain and misery it's been unbelievable the last few years. I couldn't believe just how good the team were in the second half, just wow. There's so many things going right for Limerick hurling at the minute, we need to enjoy it as much as we can while it lasts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭billyhead

After all the heartbreak over the barren years getting so close to the holy grail I was delighted to win 1 AI but what these lads have achieved is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Ah lads what can I say? Just incredible to witness this team, I get emotional when I think of close friends and family that aren't here to see this great team. I won't get into the analysis itself as it's all been said already but a few points on kilkenny that I and my hurling friends agree with, I find with kilkenny on the field in the main they play hurling there's no histrionics no play acting no feigning injuries throwing themselves on the ground etc. Also from what I can see no pulling and dragging and respectful in success and defeat I'm sure there's exceptions but as i said in the main.

They don't have the quality to take us down at moment there's no shame in that as this limerick team in my opinion is the greatest of all time. There can be no doubt that what we had to do to win our 4 in a row was immensely harder. I can't believe I'm saying this as that kilkenny team were just awesome. This will happen with this team as well so enjoy every second of it while we have them, talking of 5 in a row or how many more they can win is for another day .

• Advertisement

Obviously a fantastic team and a fantastic achievement but I have a slight problem when they are referred to as "the greatest of all time " . Using that analysis you then have to say that Man City are the greatest of all time. Greater than the Man Utd and Liverpool teams of old ,I'm not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Yea fair enough, you know what? Titles like that don't bother me the most important title is the all Ireland one and so thrilled to be winning them now.

Just reading on another thread a guy saying our fitness levels could be something to do with enhancers????? Like you couldn't make it up.....

I agree. A lot of those making those comments haven't a clue about the dedication and hard work that these guys (in all counties) put in. Anyway congrats once again but hopefully we'll put an end to this drive for 5 also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭moby2101

Agree 100%

2 great contests against Galway and Kilkenny, honest hard tough hurling from 2 great opponents.

No pulling dragging or the usual of the ball **** that our near neighbours revel in.

If we had played Clare in the final it would have been a race to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Finally watched the match on RTÉ Player.

To me, the real turning point was the reaction to the second Kilkenny goal from the 43rd to 47th minute. Five points down to being level in the blink of an eye. I remember in Croke Park wondering how they responded so fast and even watching it on TV still leaves me amazed! Fair enough, Kilkenny did go ahead by a point after that but the tone was set.

There are those arguing that just before Gillane's equalizing point had Martin Keown not slipped, he was in on goal but I don't think it's that clear. I feel that by the time he would have caught the ball, there were enough Limerick players around to swarm him.

Luimneach Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭C4000

Byrnes shooting on Sunday:

6 minutes - 70 metres - score

8 minutes - 92 metres - miss

18 minutes - 80 metres - score

38 minutes - 62 metres - score

39 minutes - 75 metres - score

45 minutes - 75 metres - score

49 minutes - 77 metres - score

53 minutes - 102 metres - score

54 minutes - 66 metres - score

Unprecedented long range accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think the goal just masked the fact that we were coming good anyway. Both Kilkenny goals masked a fair bit really as when you look at scores in the first half they only had 1 more score and that's with what Cummins called a 7 point wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Wind had a huge bearing on that game and Sunday game analysts were slow to point it out. We did really well against the wind in hindsight - KK were able to push up and try crowd us out in the knowledge that if Limk tried to relieve the pressure with a long ball up the field it wouldn't travel to the "red zone" so to speak exposing the Full back line. If we looked like breaking out, KK were happy to concede the foul if needed. Cian Lynch worked so hard in the first half and he just attracts attention but that frees up others. He's like a quarter back in ways and he always seems to have time. A true talent.

Once we had the wind in the second half I felt we'd be shooting from Fagans car park but I didn't expect the accuracy.

Never in my years watching Limerick have I seen such an obscene scoring rate - KK backs did their job in many ways having Casey shoot from the Hogan sideline and it was just unbelievable scoring. It reminded me of what Clare did to us in 2013 in the semi - they couldn't miss that day.

It would be great to see O'Neill get a run in the team next year but he's just so useful when the game is loosened up and consistently delivers crucial scores. "Cathal O'Clock" is nearly what we'll have to start calling it.

That Gillane score to level it was an incredible passage of hurling and really lifted the Limerick crowd at the game - was like a reaction to a goal. Moment of the game for me and O'Neill playing ducks and drakes up the Cusack stand before letting fly was a glorious score.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Spot on…I commented on the KK thread on how important it was to win the toss as it was forecast to blow a strong wind into the canal end for the afternoon.

It would have made some difference to Kilkenny to have had that wind assistance as we tiired against the huge physical challenge that Limerick bring.

The wind also has a greater effect when it blows from Hill 16 as that end of the ground is exposed unlike the canal end which gets a lot of shelter from the Davin stand.

Theres no doubting the fact that the wind had a huge influence on the game and your right there was very little mention of it on any of the TV analysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,680 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Every one of those points late on was incredible looking.

Where we were on the Hill we were sheltered from the wind so I didn't realise how much it affected the first half.

O'Neill getting talked about as young hurler of the year btw.

Advertisement