Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Na Piarsaigh are definitely in decline. The conveyor belt of young talent has dried up in a big way and Monaleen and Mungret have taken over. Is there one last big kick in them? Of course there is and they ll probably beat Patrickswell who never seem to be able to handle Na Piarsaigh when it really counts. Ballygunner will walk Munster this year. Clonlara ,Na Piarsaigh/Well, Sarsfields and Thurles or Kiladangan... there isn't a rounded enough or balanced enough team to challenge them there.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Except the battering The Well gave NaP in 21.

You saying NaP are all dried up and Ballygunner being unbeatable gives me hope though as you have proven over and over that you know fuk all about Limerick hurling and at times hurling in general.

Mod Edit

Warning issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i could go on a rant myself, i do like limerick hurling but he has missed several points

first and foremost patrickswell will win the championship not because of a dried up club rugby team but an incredible level of work that has seen the last 3 ,THREE !! player of the year awards go to the same club , byrnes , gillane and cian lynch elect... but we all know !

i often wonder are the likes of dave and mike casey still going strong down there , is there premises still a big hurling hub on cathreadreal place in the city , is tom and Ritchie still involved in the club , if patrickswell win the county championship this year its down to massive history not lads drifting off to rugby training, i known loads of lads from that club and they have nothing but hardship for years ,

i also cant ignore mr kirby and his work right up along from 12s to senior a fantastic coach, he has been the secret service of limerick hurling , he might not have won much on the line as a coach but he has guided through some of the best players in the country,

Na Piarsaigh by 5 or 6. The 'Well won't be able for a committed ,well drilled ,well led team. Na Piarsaigh have a more disciplined group . The Achilles heel of Patrickswell has always been their discipline. Hope im wrong. Id like to see Byrnes, Gillane and Co win. Id have played alot of challenge matches against Patrickswell .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭billyhead

It's on TG4 too.

i taught you told us you were from the west midlands , as in leicestershire or Gloucester 😂

i am in the well camp from an outsider looking in they have been fairly impressive from what i have seen

The Well have something about them this year. All their intercounty players seem to have carried their form over from the championship.

NaP were poor against Doon so it will be interesting to see can they lift if. They do have a pretty good record in finals.

I am West Midlands, Staffordshire. Leicestershire is East midlands and Gloucestershire is South West. I'm from South East Clare. What about you?

Should be a great game either way. Could be the game of the weekend . Iv seen both JJ Carey and Vince Harrington play for Ard Scoil. Very good players. The big question mark is over O Donoghue. He's a guy that needs plenty of hurling to get his touch up to standard. Great player but he couldn't be match fit. Still in saying all that if Mike Casey holds Gillane ....

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I'd have said na piarsaigh all day a few weeks ago but not so sure now they just looked tired and leggy v doon if o donoghue is back that would help as downes was more or less anonymous at 6. On the flip side the big 3 for the well look reinvigorated. Hard to call its 50 50 for me something is telling me the well will win it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

West Midlands or the West Bank? Good to see you sporting the Waterford colours, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

The Well are lucky to still have 15 on the pitch...

Na Piarsaigh the better team by a long ways. Congratulations. What was Patrickswells plan? It looked like they were trying to rough up Na Piarsaigh. That's never going to work. Cian Lynch was going around punching guys in the midriff. Bizarre. Byrnes was terrible..should have been subbed. Gave away a tonne of ball looking for the magic pass when there was free men all around him. Terrible .Discipline let's Patrickswell down again.

Id actually question their management..they had them way too emotional at the start . Awful sideline staff .

Downes was efficient, all the Na Piarsaigh backs were good. Boylan was unreal and Dempsey was very good. A word on Dowling.. superb with the long puck outs. The Well couldn't handle them at all.

Disappointing hurling overall but the better team won. Roll on Munster club Championship

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

O'Neill just said that Dowling hit four in a row very long and they lost them all and they were trying to tell him to go shorter.

How do you know the management had The Well 'emotional'?

You used 'awful' twice and 'terrible' about a team that lost by four points, how does that work?

If it was down to discipline 'again' and it's a new management, would it be down to the management?

Subbing Byrnes.... you're gas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For once I'd actually agree with Peggy there. Seems a fair assessment of the 45 minutes I saw of the game.

I dont think you watched the same game the rest of us did 'evolvingtipp'. Na Piarsaigh got about 6 points from long puck outs in that second half.

The 'emotion' lack of composure and discipline was quite obvious in Patrickswell. There was wides on both sides in tbe opening 20 mins but both Gillane and Byrnes missed frees. Kelliher was the only one of them hurling well. The headless emotional stuff was very apparent in the second half when Kirby went haring up the wing on a solo and didn't look up once ...finished with a shocking wide. Patrickswell are a fine side but they were blessed to be within 8 points today...and it was the most comprehensive 4 point win iv seen all year. Management have huge responsibility on that opening 20 mins..

I think Na Piarsaigh are just seasoned and crisper on tbe ball and give the pass at an appropriate time ie. early.

I thought the ref was good enough..Peter Casey wins too many soft frees by ducking under hurleys and stopping up. Downes and Boylan were sublime ...Patrickswell will come again but this is a big setback.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

i am from the wild west as in west clare , i was a bit surprised to hear patrickswell were playing challenge matches in birmingham 😂

you called the game right though na piarsaigh backs were outstanding and they couldn't cope with dowlings long range puckouts , mike casey cathal king and will o donohue were outstanding ,

I don't see how you can draw a direct line to management and the first twenty minutes. Some of the more senior stars of The Well didn't have much discipline but they're a bit long in the tooth to put that down to management. They've been around the block. How is Kirby haring up the line and getting a wide down to management having them too emotional?

Gillane had heavy strapping on a leg for the second half. Must have happened in the first half. Casey didn't have to do much after that. But he was outstanding.

Galway had a two point win over Tipp on summer turf that was more comprehensive.

I thought both teams burst a gut and I wouldn't be attaching terrible or awful to them. That's an end of October/November pitch. Halloween sod if you will.

Na P brought more workrate and pressure - Lynch trying to illegally bounce the ball off a sodden pitch with his hand illustrated that perfectly. He had ran out of ideas.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good point, that. I think there was an Intermediate game on the same pitch just before the Senior final as well.

Premier Intermediate final was on beforehand and you could tell. Alot of dodgy shooting aswell though. Mike Casey is some operator. The way he goes for the odd ball bare faced and the rest is great spoiling . My memory of Lynch punching Peter Casey in the rib area and the linesman looking straight at it. Should have been a yellow and playing like that doesn't suit Lynch at all...Leave that for the piano lifters

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Thought Boylan was great tonight and some of NaP's almost and former Limerick players were very good like Dempsey, Breen, Dowling and Henn.

You really can't let NaP get a bit of a gap. Once they are in control of a game they are hard to displace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

While Patrickswell lost by only 4 I think it flattered them, NAP left 3 goals our there too.

The Well left at least 3 goals out there as well early on.

He gets a lot of sht online due to him being on TV but I think the story of him reinventing himself for another county medal is amazing.

The lad is only 30 and would a rake of All Irelands if it wasn't for injury.

i have often wanted to call down to the shop in williams street to give him a bit of stick myself , he's bigger then me so its hard to work up the courage 😂 , he really dose annoy me on the sunday game at times

but as a player top class , great forward in his day , and an excellent goalkeeper his puckouts were fantastic tonight they caused huge panic in the patrickswell full back line , i fancy them to beat ballygunner should they beat sarsfields

Yes he made an excellent save in the 1st half but taught NaP left more behind.

Absolutely, a great story and the fact he's managing your minors next shows he got ambition in coaching too, regards to TV personally think he shouldn't be on the live coverage for Limerick games, most pundits due to age difference are detached from their counties current panel but some of Dowling's best friends are on the Limerick panel creating a tricky situation.

just after watching the highlights here some finish to the intermediate final too tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Two exciting finals today as well .

Granagh Ballingarry beat Croagh by 2 points in intermediate final in front of big crowd in Ballyagran .

Mungrets junior team won the Junior A final on penalties which seems a tough way to decide a county final . Mungret will have teams playing Senior top Division and Intermediate next year , a club going places .

Advertisement