Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Has any one booked extra tickets for home coming. Heard they all booked out. Maybe some one has few to spare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I've been going to Limerick games since 98. From crushing disappointments like black Sunday against Tipp when we got destroyed in 2009, fitzhenry burying it in 2001 and Tony Kelly and the banner scoring from the moon in the semi in 2013 and taking an all Ireland away from us. "Same aul Limerick" we were told. "Will it ever happen?" We thought?

The good days were but fleeting moments - Barry Foley knocking out cork in 2001, the Limerick train waiting in Thurles for the end of extra time in the second drawn game in 2007, Brian Begley "he can bury Waterford" and "there's no stopping Donie Ryan" when Shaughnessy carried us over the line in 2007. Beating Cork in 2013 and the accompanying celebrations were but crumbs from the top table. The dream and obsession of a county was felt far and wide. Still, we came up short.

On August 19th, a group clad in glas agus bán had enough. No one would deny them. A defiance. A belief in their ability to take the game to Galway. Unwavering belief in themselves, their ability and the plan. They carried our dreams and made their own come true. We danced on the hill to Dolores and "Linger". We remembered those no longer with us. We remembered the dark days. We remembered why we subscribed to the heartbreak and torture.

We felt alive. Winners. At Last.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

Well done Limerick from Kildare and thank you for Joe Quaid he's some man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,936 ✭✭✭893bet

Hero’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Congratulations from a kk fan here. I said it in the main championship thread after ye bet us that I loved the brand of hurling ye play, and the mental strength ye showed after Richie Hogan's goal to push on. You could see it was a different team, and ye showed it again against cork. I always felt this year that Galway were there for the taking if the right team came out and put in up to them at the start.

For such a young team they are seriously the big men for the big occasion, that little bit of poise at the end when the fight back was looking like such a typical limerick storyline. Serious win, history making stuff, up there with Clare in 95 and Wexford in 96. Given the teams ye had to beat to win it, maybe even more impressive. Even if they go on and win a few more today will still be a once in a lifetime day, hope ye enjoyed it, was a great thing to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Just popping in to say congrats. I’m a Dub but my old man was Ahane, lots of relations there still. Had to watch the last 15 mins sitting on the runway in Dublin Airport, but what a 15, out on their feet but never said die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Lived in Limerick for 10 weeks in 2014, had a blast, great City and I can only imagine how the celebrations went last night. Enjoy every minute of it

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

As a Tipp man I'm absolutely thrilled for Limerick and having seen Limerick beat Galway in the league earlier this year,I knew this team had what it takes to beat anyone on their day and achieve the ultimate in 2018. What impressed me most was the composure shown by such young players. Gillane had a quiet enough game but was still so dangerous,better shooting and this game could have been done by HT.
    It really was outstanding.Limerick should have been about 8 up at Half time.
    They made hard work of it but all credit to Galway too. One thing is for sure,Galway won't be getting anywhere near KK anytime soon. Limerick's style of play could see them dominate in the coming years. Galway were simply beat everywhere on the pitch and particularly on the sideline. Very astute from Kinnerk and Kiely.Glad we didn't see a repeat of 1994. If Flanagan had of rounded the keeper,it would have been a comfortable 8-10 point win.

Unbelievable game yesterday, just delighted to see it happen. Those last 10 minutes were a nightmare in real time and I thought Galway were going to get a goal in the last second. Absolute hell, but what a win.

All the Galway fans around me were genuine class throughout the game and afterwards. Their team showed serious balls to do what they did in the closing minutes. I am ecstatic Limerick won, really am, but what an era to be in, any of seven teams have realistic hopes next year. Honestly, these are the good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Well done to Limerick, Tipp man here but went to college in UL and worked in the city ever since. Genuinely delighted for all my Limerick friends and colleagues, the city will be buzzing for the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Definately a nice experience to win the All Ireland and what's rare is beautiful. That is a great confidence booster for Limerick hurling. It will inspire young kids to pick up a hurley and start playing the game. It's also great for clubs in the county and the self belief it will give players is unbelievable. A real feel good factor.

I think everyone would agree here that it would have been daylight robbery if Galway got the draw yesterday. They were the definately the 2nd best team for about 68 mins of that game and still nearly won it in the end. Galway certainly made every Limerick supporter sweat and have nightmares for that last 10 mins but coming out on the right side of that makes the victory more valuable I feel. Enjoy the winter months with Liam.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bemmet

Well done to Limerick yesterday .
    Whilst you made hard work of it at the end it would have been a travesty had the result went any other way .
    Great hurling and great for hurling to see your own famine being ended in such beautiful fashion.

As a waterford man I can only imagine how waking this morning must have felt knowing that Liam was heading home on the train shortly
    Enjoy the week and bask in the happiness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Great Summer of hurling and credit due to all the counties. Limerick were outstanding not only yesterday but in the semi final as well. It shows what can be achieved when the work is put in first at underage. Ardscoil and others deserve credit as well.
    It would be great if the Deise got over the line soon. The new format really threw up some fantastic games this year. There are a few more knocking at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Delighted for Limerick GAA people. Well done I hope you enjoy the celebrations. Christ when Dreams started up afterwards I was nearly a ball of emotion myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Unlimited Heartbreak? Not any more. Delighted for everyone in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

Serious structures were put in place at underage to achieve what happened yesterday.
    As mentioned before Ard Scoil Ris, Doon CBS etc all operate in Harty cup and most of these lads would have tasted top level Fitzgibbon cup with UL, Mary I and LIT.
    I know Cian Lynch, the Morrisseys and all of the guys are the ultimate professionals on and off the pitch.
    Limerick were ravenous all year in their attitude and even amongst their subs.
    Almost like how Galway’s subs impacted from the bench last year.
    Having that insatiable hunger is a huge thing!!
    Congrats again Limerick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭spurshero

Congrats lads from all in Galway . Best team by a long way and anything other then a limerick win on the day would have been an injustice . Enjoy the celebrations .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Massive congrats on yesterday,enjoy the party folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Don’t suppose that anyone has two spare tickets to the homecoming party in the Gaelic Grounds, thought we had them, but didn’t claim them in time. (Hasn’t gone down well here at home. )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Don’t suppose that anyone has two spare tickets to the homecoming party in the Gaelic Grounds, thought we had them, but didn’t claim them in time. (Hasn’t gone down well here at home. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is the homecoming being streamed live?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Hon gal!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Squareball

From a Dub living in Philadelphia........Congratulations to Limerick. What a year for hurling, what a year to be champs. Well done again!!

Going to miss the small ball, was great value for money this year.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

What a great couple of days, at last the short winter is ours

Congratulations to John kiely, his backroom team and the whole squad

Well done to anyone who made an effort or a positive contribution to the limerick gaa in the last 45 years, milk the next week of celebration for all its worth

Looking forward to a reviews from the regulars on here, presumably too busy celebrating as advised above ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Now that's what I call a homecoming...:)
    Incredible in the city and the Gaelic Grounds tonight...:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

washman3 wrote: »
    Now that's what I call a homecoming...:)
    Incredible in the city and the Gaelic Grounds tonight...:):)
    Sure sign there's a great celebration going on is that so few of ye have been on the thread here, honestly this is as happy as I've ever been to see a county other than my own winning. It's so good for the sport.

What a few days we've had. Everything in the build up felt right. We wondered if the players would handle the occasion. We had our answer within five minutes the way we took the game to Galway. Didn't give them anytime to settle and hounded them from the start - Game on.

Whatever it is, we don't like to do things the easy way. The wides for long stages in the first half were sapping at times and I had a serious fear it was going to be the "same aul story, down in a blaze of glory". Hannon stepped up big time when it was required with two huge points - inspirational ones that lifted the crowd and the players around him.

Goals are always crucial and I knew we'd need them and felt we could get them. I didn't think we'd have to invoke '73 for inspiration on how to score them - mulcahy's goal was straight out of that final.

Start of the second half we turned the screw again and opened up a bigger lead - we really hammered the hammer at this stage. Flanagan had daithí Burke chasing his tail, Hayes put on a clinic of point scoring, we didn't make hero's out of mannion catching bombs out of the sky. Intelligent, heads up hurling. A man who is at the heart of all this and yet is unseen at times is O'Donovan - always on and off the shoulder there for a pass and an option.

The two goals we got were crucial and came at crucial times. Was like something Kilkenny would do. We had four clear chances and took three. What stood out most of all to me was the fight we had in us - we didn't let rucks form possibly because the stats guys noted Galway always come out on top. Instead, the lads threw feet and hands into the mix to keep the ball moving. Finn trying a Gaelic football block in the first half summed it up for me.

What stood out most to me was that very few Limerick players actually stood out - they pretty much all played to their ability and Hayes was a worthy man of the match followed by Casey if he could have stayed for the whole match. It was a complete team performance.

The two goals conceded, well, we had to make it interesting for the Hollywood finish. They just happened really and there was little we could do for them but Mulcahy put out the fire and eased the tension slightly. Who dared speak of '94.

Seeing Hannon go up them steps with the intro to "Dreams" before that brought it all together.

A perfect day.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Very eloquently put Browney7

Perfect day and perfect weekend.

2019 for the back to back! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Great times around the city and county and has people so happy
    Hopefully the players behave

• Advertisement

Last post more focussing on a line by line/player analysis. Just to acknowledge everyone's efforts first - doubt any of them read the thread and the ramblings of a few mad internet ramblers but anyway! The commitment and application shown since January (and before realistically) by the whole extended panel and management team has been exceptional. Between league and championship, only one match was lost in normal time (Clare in Ennis) and another lost in extra time to Tipp. A brilliant, brilliant season and worthy winners whilst getting a few runs of the green along the way.

Quaid - Thought his puckouts were exceptional. Mixed it up well. Hit some lovely darts to the opposition 45. One puckout went up the middle to McInerney which resulted in a score and he learned from this. Unlucky for the 21 - fouled the ball but had to do it. Hoovered a lot of ball that went into his area and was very assured and acted like a Sweeper keeper.

Full back line - fought and hassled and harried and gave their best performance of the year. Shut down Glynn very well and the other Galway forwards and shut down space. When quaid went short, they looked quite assured. Possibly two all stars in the line. Was delighted for Richie McCarthy - he did well when he came in and don't think the goals could be blamed on him. Coming into that situation was a big pressure and he handled it well.

Half back line - cometh the man, Hannon put some demons to rest and played excellently. Crucial interventions in the first half and held the centre well. Canning came into it more in second half but I don't think that was Hannons fault. Byrnes and Morissey did well and put in solid performances. Did the simple things well and were strong in the air. Any day your half back line scores three from play is a good day at the office.

Midfield - I love watching these guys play and in ways have shown how midfielders are still relevent. Already said a bit about ODonovan but saw someone on twitter call him the N'Golo Kanté of hurling and they're not far wrong. His stats were great this season and he'll be unlucky to lose out on an all star.
    Seemed like Lynch was everywhere on Sunday. Made blocks and tackles in defence (was unlucky for one free conceded) and nearly set up Flanagan at the other end for a goal. His score in the first half was brave and he's cut out some of the flicks and tricks but he still shows flashes. His chop style pick ups seem to give him a bit more time. I love watching him play and you can tell he loves hurling for Limerick (sat next to Joe quaid against Clare in 2013 and he said he was going to be special and how right he was!) O'Donoghue has been an important sub this year and shouldn't be forgotten - thought the Cork game was his finest hour this year.

Thought David Burke was excellent for Galway and gave a captains performance so we got a feast of midfield play on Sunday.

Will do the rest at another stage in a separate post!

Advertisement