Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Still can't believe that we've won what an amazing few days it's been. We've all been through some tough times following Limerick with a lot of heart breaking defeats! I know all the plaudits will go to the management team and rightly so , they've been brilliant all year and we have a very talented bunch of players. This all Ireland win didn't happen by accident.

Savage work has gone into coaching and increasing the number of kids playing in primary schools through lifting the treaty the last couple of years. The success of ard scoil ris and subsequently or underage and senior team is as much down to these hard working people as anyone else. I am sure all these people are delighted that we've finally made the breakthrough

As for the game itself, we won the game with Savage hard work and hunger and with lots of smart hurling. Felt the management got our tactics right. For me, mulcahy should be hurler of the year, every time limerick needed a leader he provided the leadership and got vital scores when we needed them. His been sensational all year and will get a well deserved all star. I felt Mike Casey was man of the match until he unfortunately went off Injured, he did everything right and our whole backline was superb. What a performance from such a young team. I could write all day about the match. I'm still buzzing !

I wanted to say fair play to the galway support very gracious in defeat and when the final whistle blew I was greeted with hugs and handshakes from the galway supporters beside me. we all had mighty craic before and after the match and that's what the gaa is all about. I'll write more about the match when I get a chance to watch it back ! Come on Limerick !

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭LMK

"It’s All about the Journey, Not the Destination"
    Some journey to reach this destination.. Finals are for winning and it's only after winning one, you appreciate that is a fact...my overwhelming feeling is of relief.. a draining experience after reaching the destination ..
    Any attempt to make sense out of the Final is difficult, Limerick brought huge levels of energy and endeavour, they all made a contribution on Sunday just like they've done all year... Casey, Finn, Hannon, Lynch, Hayes, Morrissey, Flanagan & Mulcahy were excellent and not one of the others went hiding on the biggest day..
    Galway played with tremendous heart to resurrect their challenge, and it made our victory the greater because of it, it was a privilege to see Joe Canning perform with such composure in the final straight when everyone else was in a bit of a panic, his calmness was frightening ...

John Kiely what a representative for Limerick he is, no B.S., straight talking, honest and humble.. he made this possible..

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

LMK wrote: »
    "It’s All about the Journey, Not the Destination"
    Some journey to reach this destination.. Finals are for winning and it's only after winning one, you appreciate that is a fact...my overwhelming feeling is of relief.. a draining experience after reaching the destination ..
    Any attempt to make sense out of the Final is difficult, Limerick brought huge levels of energy and endeavour, they all made a contribution on Sunday just like they've done all year... Casey, Finn, Hannon, Lynch, Hayes, Morrissey, Flanagan & Mulcahy were excellent and not one of the others went hiding on the biggest day..
    Galway played with tremendous heart to resurrect their challenge, and it made our victory the greater because of it, it was a privilege to see Joe Canning perform with such composure in the final straight when everyone else was in a bit of a panic, his calmness was frightening ...

John Kiely what a representative for Limerick he is, no B.S., straight talking, honest and humble.. he made this possible..

Yeah Canning has being getting alot of praise. Iv watched the match again. He hit 4 wides. Hit 2 frees short. His man scored 2 and missed one. The guy is a super talent but the statistics don't tell the whole story. He had one pressurised free. The 21 yard free and all the other frees weren't without pressure but they weren't the money shot. His last free to level was mi****. I still think he has a body of work to do to be hailed as great as Shefflin or Reid or Mackey or Ring. He's a long way off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Yeah Canning has being getting alot of praise. Iv watched the match again. He hit 4 wides. Hit 2 frees short. His man scored 2 and missed one. The guy is a super talent but the statistics don't tell the whole story. He had one pressurised free. The 21 yard free and all the other frees weren't without pressure but they weren't the money shot. His last free to level was mi****. I still think he has a body of work to do to be hailed as great as Shefflin or Reid or Mackey or Ring. He's a long way off.
    Canning's greatness cannot be measured by crude stats. He is a pure hurling artist, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

watched the first half again last night, the WIDES!!! we'd have been out of sight at half time if we'd got half of them. We were head and shoulders above Galway. FINALLY :-) Luimneach Abú

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

What to say its just brilliant

While 94 was a desperate day 96 not great either some of the days leaving thurles in the noughties were worse or maybe it was the never ending continuation of losses when really we should have won

Thankfully Richie Bennis pushed through a team in 07 and no shame in defeat that day (still disgusted at the actions of 1 KK player that day - no place in hurling and plenty of teams have won all Irelands since without resorting to violence)

Unfortunately from there we lost our way again, the savage work that went in underage gave us a decent pool of players then we only had to do the simple thing and put the right man in charge, being a non egomaniac he was able to put great people around him some may even be more knowledgeable than him, but no bother to Jk - he stitched it altogether to give us this victory (delighted to say I backed him on here)

The match sunday doesn't really matter, a few missed chances left the door ajar and Galway like champions took the chance but a point from my hurler of the year Graeme Mulcahy was enough - well done all

Hannon is class
    Didn't see it on the replay but there was a short puck out to dan Morrissey, he turned inside and drove a ball at Hannon low and hard, Hannon had 3 players around a mis touch and it was a certain score, his touch was perfect off the hurl and into the hand, that and the intercept point s were critical moments - privileged to be there to see them to have

Luimneach abu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Not from Limerick or clare but went to see them in league V Clare and was so impressed with the team. It was all about hard work and not giving up.
    They battled for every ball , even the impossible ones. The belief they had in themselves that they could do this was brillant.

Ye have given other counties who aren't anywhere near the top a sense of "our time will come " and whilst neutrals wouldnt have minded a Galway win I have to say the majority of people were behind Limerick willing ye on.

Matches dont usually bring a tear to my eye but my God on sunday it did.

Enjoy every minute of the celebrations and heres to many more days like Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

What to say its just brilliant

Thankfully Richie Bennis pushed through a team in 07 and no shame in defeat that day (still disgusted at the actions of 1 KK player that day - no place in hurling and plenty of teams have won all Ireland's since without resorting to violence)

Is he a TV analyst now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Congrats to all involved from a Mayo man living in Limerick for 20+ years.

I've left Croke Park crying a couple of times before and was pretty emotional leaving it on Sunday too :-)

Unbelievable stuff from start to finish...I genuinely thought that the atmosphere of a Mayo v Dublin final couldn't be topped but Sunday was on a different level altogether.

We were out in Galbally last night to see John Kiely and the team bring Liam home...great to see so many people enthralled by a truly inspirational group of players and backroom team.

I'm not a hurling expert by any means but given the age profile and attitude of this squad I wouldn't be shocked at all if we see a few more homecomings in the years ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

Canning, year in, year out, is one of the highest scorers in the c'ship. Another good season and he will surpass Shefflin as the top scorer of all time. (And largely in an era when Shefflin has played on a very successful team with the large amount of matches annually that that involves.) He has played much of the season with a troublesome knee injury yet still performed. His goaled 21 on Sunday was just another of his all-time great scores, given the pressure he was under. He's been playing man's hurling since he was 17 when he led his club to an AI title. Look back on his career and see the range and breadth of the scores he has got, from play, frees, sidelines, assists etc. Look at the amount of crucial scores he has gotten.

Extremely biased though I am, I cannot understand why some fail to recognise him as one of the greatest forwards of all time. IMO, Reid and Shefflin are superior only in AI medals won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Still can't believe that we've won what an amazing few days it's been.

Congratulations and fair play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Still coming to terms with it I've read back all the posts since I was last on here the night before the game itself i never said it to anyone else but i was so confident going up to dublin i just felt galway from what I'd seen this yr would live with us thats not being arrogant it was the way i saw it and i was kind of right i thought our ff line would do well on their fb line.
    How gracious were the Galway people afterwards though i didnt talk to many myself everyone that did told me how sporting they were. Maybe galway will be a different animal next yr and maybe we'll struggle next yr as they did this yr i suppose time will as we dont have experience like this. I do think we'll get better too though. how good is flanagan if he could improve his hurling/touch by 20% how good can he become we'll be right there again next yr. Would be nice to see Waterford win one now and thanks to all the well wishers from other counties on here.
    Who'd have thought we'd be all ireland champs a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

To be as great as Reid?

I presume that was a joke.

Reid wouldn’t hold a candle to Joe Canning.

Joe has the highest average score ratings per match ever.

He will pass out Shefflin too in the scoring charts.

Joe is a hurling god!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

lim4ev wrote: »
    Still coming to terms with it I've read back all the posts since I was last on here the night before the game itself i never said it to anyone else but i was so confident going up to dublin i just felt galway from what I'd seen this yr would live with us thats not being arrogant it was the way i saw it and i was kind of right i thought our ff line would do well on their fb line.
    How gracious were the Galway people afterwards though i didnt talk to many myself everyone that did told me how sporting they were. Maybe galway will be a different animal next yr and maybe we'll struggle next yr as they did this yr i suppose time will as we dont have experience like this. I do think we'll get better too though. how good is flanagan if he could improve his hurling/touch by 20% how good can he become we'll be right there again next yr. Would be nice to see Waterford win one now and thanks to all the well wishers from other counties on here.
    Who'd have thought we'd be all ireland champs a few months ago

Agreed I was delighted to see Galway win one last year, terrific for limerick this year, but Waterford have had so much heartache.

Maybe 2019 be the year for the Deise, and fair play if they do.

It’s not easy won tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Finally getting round to the next two lines!!

Half forwards: they got a decent haul of scores as a unit and played well. Were great to show for puckouts and to make space for Flanagan on puckouts. Hayes scored some lovely points at the start of the second half which was crucial. Himself and Morrissey hit some poor wides too though but hopefully there's more to come in the future from these guys.

Morrissey took his goal well (a few steps but all forwards are getting away with it) and sent the place into raptures. They did incredibly well to nullify what is regarded as Galways strongest line.

Dowling - he gets his own piece as he was so important to us all year. A great guy and a great player to be able to spring from the bench. Thought his performance against Kilkenny was somewhat forgotten after his antics against Cork but I'm convinced there would have been no all Ireland but for Shane. He came good in the clutch for us all year. Some of the abuse and criticisms he's faced down the years would have levelled anyone but he stuck with it. Great striker of a ball and a stickman and so much more than a Supersub.

Full forward line - take a bow Seamus Flanagan. I thought at the game he was making a lot of mistakes but his roving performance was brilliant. He caused havoc. His style of play reminds me a bit of Lar Corbett mixed with Bonnar Maher - he ghosts around the field with super movement but looks to play in guys and works hard for the team. His finest hour this year was down in Cork. Would have deserved his goal but for skehill going kamikazee - big enough turning point in hindsight. His finishing will improve.

Gillane was quiet enough but got the opening score to settle us down. None of his frees were easy and he got few scoring opportunities.

Mulcahy, one of our most important players all year. He came up with some huge contributions all year. The point to put us two up with was composure personified - never looked like missing. Deserved his goal and worked incredibly hard to close down Galway defenders especially on short puck outs. Peter Casey deserves a mention too, always seems a live wire and is a serious prospect for next year. Dowling bailed him out for his poor pass for the goal.

It's an exciting time for Limerick fans - as long as I can remember scoring forwards were thin on the ground but we seem to have at least 6 now.

Management - Paul kinnerk's stock has soared ever higher. Devised a game plan for us and encouraged the players no end and ensured we stuck to the plan. John Kiely, great management performance all year. Quelled the hype and got the players believing in themselves. Instilled a great workrate in the players and they seemed to be a very "together" bunch. His challenge now is to keep the flame burning bright.

What a week. If I could bottle that winning feeling forever... An rud is annamh is iontach.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭supernova5

was driving through hamlets, villages and towns in south and west Limerick yesterday and I must say the colours on display is fantastic, people still seems to be buzzing, there was actually a stall in Kilmallock still selling flags/hats/buntings

brilliant, as Cyril Farrell says... "there'll be no winter in Limerick this year"

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Browney7 wrote: »
    Finally getting round to the next two lines!!

Dowling - he gets his own piece as he was so important to us all year. A great guy and a great player to be able to spring from the bench. Thought his performance against Kilkenny was somewhat forgotten after his antics against Cork but I'm convinced there would have been no all Ireland but for Shane. He came good in the clutch for us all year. Some of the abuse and criticisms he's faced down the years would have levelled anyone but he stuck with it. Great striker of a ball and a stickman and so much more than a Supersub.

I think he is a fantastic player, and is not "afraid" to go for goal when the opportunity arises. He has a powerful strike of the ball. He certainly deserves a lot of credit for Limerick winning the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

conor05 wrote: »
    To be as great as Reid?

I presume that was a joke.

Reid wouldn’t hold a candle to Joe Canning.

Joe has the highest average score ratings per match ever.

He will pass out Shefflin too in the scoring charts.

Joe is a hurling god!

Don't agree conor j cannings a marvellous player no question but i think reid just wins his own ball more than joe well lately anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a full recording of the final? Was at the game and made the devastating mistake of not recording it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,673 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone know where I could get my hands on a full recording of the final? Was at the game and made the devastating mistake of not recording it.

Might be on the RTE Player?? Not sure how long they archive stuff for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Watched it on Sky on Monday night 20th with a hangover (cried again!). Keep an eye out there too and it will surely be repeated. You'll jump up out of your seat again when Mulcahy scores that last point!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Jose Maria

2017 final and build up in full is on youtube, so hopefully it'll be the same for ours in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Shannonsider

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Might be on the RTE Player?? Not sure how long they archive stuff for

No the full version isn’t unfortunately

Wouldn't think a lot of the bruff antics in goading jimbob this evening, poor form, they got what they deserved when he blew em out of it in the 2nd half

Nice contest between cill and na p tonight

Na p looked to be cruising driven by Ronan lynch from half back were 4 up at half time

Cill kept in it from a great o Reilly goal and a great performance from Robbie Hanley

Robbie Egan introduced and huge impact 1-2

Cill in front and na p got a few scores to level

Both sides missed a couple of big players and a replay later in the year would be much better than last year

Downes was good without being exceptional

Casey was class at full back

Oisin scored a fantastic 1-2 the more hurling this fella gets the better, one point from the sideline was top drawer

Plenty of positives for limerick hurling in general

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Nice contest between cill and na p tonight

Na p looked to be cruising driven by Ronan lynch from half back were 4 up at half time

Cill kept in it from a great o Reilly goal and a great performance from Robbie Hanley

Robbie Egan introduced and huge impact 1-2

Cill in front and na p got a few scores to level

Both sides missed a couple of big players and a replay later in the year would be much better than last year

Downes was good without being exceptional

Casey was class at full back

Oisin scored a fantastic 1-2 the more hurling this fella gets the better, one point from the sideline was top drawer

Plenty of positives for limerick hurling in general

Ya Paddy, similar to my thoughts. Would be really interesting if they meet again in a semi or final. 2 top drawer teams. Both missing some key players tonight. Mike Casey seems to be really reveling the challenge now at no.3.
    Barry Hennessy's 2 late saves were amazing, the first very similar to Quaid's flick on Harnedy V Cork.
    O' Reilly's goal and that point from the sideline were incredible, unbelievable pace for the goal, I would love to see a replay, goal of the year for me.
    Hanley was very good, reminded me of his display V Kilkenny in that U21 final, physically very strong.
    The N.P. 20 metre free at the end to draw the game could easily have been a penalty, but a draw was fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Wouldn't think a lot of the bruff antics in goading jimbob this evening, poor form, they got what they deserved when he blew em out of it in the 2nd half

What was that about.?
    Cant understand why anyone would goad Jimbob, a great servant to Limerick since playing an AI minor final back in 2005.
    Saw Pallasgreen also giving him some terrible treatment 2 years ago in a football game.

washman3 wrote: »
    What was that about.?
    Cant understand why anyone would goad Jimbob, a great servant to Limerick since playing an AI minor final back in 2005.
    Saw Pallasgreen also giving him some terrible treatment 2 years ago in a football game.

Exactly the guy has given so much just all wrong, may be it's known he reacts I don't know but he deserves better imo, glad they won

Know of one young fella who's form has gone to **** since he got a doing from a senior player it's ****ty stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Hanley could be an important addition to county panel next year....was vital to beating Galway and KK in U21 last year. More competition for places will be important next year if we re to avoid the second season all Ireland champs face.

• Advertisement

Robbie Egan, Hanley, oisin and Ronan lynch all put their hands up last night.

Heard lynch congratulating mul on the year afterwards totally genuine but there was also a slight element of I'll be there this year

Last night was first time I saw lynch have the aggression to step up he wasn't sitting on his arse in America for sure.

Richie done ligaments so full back and corner back need back up definitely our biggest need

Advertisement