Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Start a real full back with finn and condon in corners v clare. Conlon will clean out condon so forget about that

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

I'd like to see Aaron Costello given a go in the corner. Always been impressive for Kilmallock. Deserves a game to see what his made of at inter county level. William O Meara is another one who could be given a shot in the fullback line. Might as well try these lads out against Clare as we've nothing to lose and Clare need a win. Would be a good test for these lads against a strong clare full forward line.

I'd like to see Aaron Costello given a go in the corner. Always been impressive for Kilmallock. Deserves a game to see what his made of at inter county level. William O Meara is another one who could be given a shot in the fullback line. Might as well try these lads out against Clare as we've nothing to lose and Clare need a win. Would be a good test for these lads against a strong clare full forward line.

Agreed and try BOC at FB or fanning, have to try someone else. We can start 13 other of our strongest team to support these guys. Though conlon will be trial by fire for someone

Interesting to see Dan M back up against Duggan again

BloodyBill wrote: »
    That's a big loss if confirmed. English will be coming back abit undercooked aswell but he's badly needed. I'm abit concerned with the noise coming out about Mike Casey..'a few more week's' is too vague really. They said the same a few weeks ago.
    Limerick need to manage their resources well now to be in the best possible shape come the first round in Munster. I'd like to see a few more changes against Clare, there's no point in going all out in Cusack Park,Better to keep that gunpowder dry until the summer in the Gaelic Grounds and then explode.

Looking at the pictures from yesterday, Mike Casey is still on crutches anyway so I doubt he'll be back anytime soon. His injury is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Has to be physically the biggest Clare team in a long long time. Might have to go back to the likes of Daly, Baker and Lohans to match the bulk of this Clare team whove often been seen as highly skilled but too small. Cant say that now. Theyre big lads and well able to hurl

• Advertisement

Agreed and try BOC at FB or fanning, have to try someone else. We can start 13 other of our strongest team to support these guys. Though conlon will be trial by fire for someone

Is Fanning still on the panel ? I thought he had the makings of a good fullback when I saw him at under 21 level. Haven't seen him on any panel this year though. BOC would be an interesting one..

Is Fanning still on the panel ? I thought he had the makings of a good fullback when I saw him at under 21 level. Haven't seen him on any panel this year though. BOC would be an interesting one..

He isn't i'm being a bit daft and just throwing out names but all our FB's are injured and putting a CB in isn't working, need a real option here. Throw BOC in against conlon or Byrnes..........

Yeah we missed Dan's physicality against Cork. Mikey O'Brien did well for a young lad but lacks the physicality of Dan and O'Loughlin.He started off nervy but settled in , in the second half. Will be a fine player when he develops physically. on another note the loss shows the importance of Gillane to our gameplan. If memory serves me right the last time we were beaten was in Ennis last year and Gillane didn't start that match. Shows you what a unique forward he is that he can win any type of a ball and his physicality is a nightmare for any defence

He isn't i'm being a bit daft and just throwing out names but all our FB's are injured and putting a CB in isn't working, need a real option here. Throw BOC in against conlon or Byrnes..........

Will Clare risk Conlon? I think he picked up an injury in the last game and his played all their games so far. They mightn't start him.

No idea, should affect our selection anyway. TBH I thought Dan was in trouble v duggan last year, maybe he can push on duggan is not as exuberant as last year. Think hanley needs another go for his pace v clare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Yeah we missed Dan's physicality against Cork. Mikey O'Brien did well for a young lad but lacks the physicality of Dan and O'Loughlin.He started off nervy but settled in , in the second half. Will be a fine player when he develops physically. on another note the loss shows the importance of Gillane to our gameplan. If memory serves me right the last time we were beaten was in Ennis last year and Gillane didn't start that match. Shows you what a unique forward he is that he can win any type of a ball and his physicality is a nightmare for any defence

You are correct, after he was shown the red in Cork last year Gillane missed Waterford match and came on as a sub in the second half against Clare.

I would argue Gillane could be even more important for us this year than he was last year. He is undoubtedly one of the most bullish forwards in the game right now, great play maker too and in no way selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

No idea, should affect our selection anyway. TBH I thought Dan was in trouble v duggan last year, maybe he can push on duggan is not as exuberant as last year. Think hanley needs another go for his pace v clare

Colin ryan gets the nod again at midfield anyone else think Hanley did a lot more with his one chance than ryan has done with his 3 or 4 chances?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

lim4ev wrote: »
    Colin ryan gets the nod again at midfield anyone else think Hanley did a lot more with his one chance than ryan has done with his 3 or 4 chances?

Hanley offers more. Colin Ryan doesn't have the engine for midfield. He's a highly skilled player but I see him as cover for Lynch not O Donovan. He's not a great 'tracker backer '. Hanley shpuld have got another start. I see Ryan not coping today and Hanley coming on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Who was at the match today, listening to the local radio it sounded like a lot going on off the ball????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

High bike wrote: »
    Who was at the match today, listening to the local radio it sounded like a lot going on off the ball????

there was plenty of stuff going on from before the ball was thrown in the ref tried to let the game go but the conditions were terrible it snowed for most of the first half and turned the game into a battle , on and off the field , at one point john kiley found time to square up to donal maloney on the sideline things were very heated on both sides

you can expect a far more free flowing game when the sides meet in the summer ,today was very stop start ,limerick were the better team in open play to be fair and clare despite surrendering a lead at the end would probably feel lucky enough in the end to draw the game especially after diarmuid ryans second half point that dirfted to the right and wide only for home supporters persuasion to make the ref change his mind

as for your initial question i didnt see any real malice in the game just two sides setting down a marker against each other for the year ahead i suppose , i could be proven wrong by the tv cameras though

john kiely interview after the game yesterday

looks like jj delaney was right .. scroll to 3:15 on the video shows that limerick are still very much in celebration mode from last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭chases0102

What did JJ Delaney say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

chases0102 wrote: »
    What did JJ Delaney say?

Think he meant Jackie Tyrell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭shockframe

john kiely interview after the game yesterday

looks like jj delaney was right .. scroll to 3:15 on the video shows that limerick are still very much in celebration mode from last year :pac:

Thats the 2nd time the players have had loud music blaring in the dressing room when Kiely has been giving an interview. Seems like it's only banter!

3.26 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2otF3gImYQ

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

shockframe wrote: »
    Thats the 2nd time the players have had loud music blaring in the dressing room when Kiely has been giving an interview. Seems like it's only banter!

3.26 in this video

Its the players winding down. It's nothing to do with anything really, alot of teams do it.

• Advertisement

BloodyBill wrote: »
    shockframe wrote: »

3.26 in this video

Its the players winding down. It's nothing to do with anything really, alot of teams do it.

Its great to see it , and espically the way kiely reacts to it after it shows that there is a bit of craic going on within.the panel

And yeah my mistake i ment to say jackie tyrell not jj delaney

Only 3 off the all Ireland team for Dublin would prefer to see 1 more panel player on

But ah maybe jk knows better!

Still not enough pace

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Better find out now how strong the panel is than next june

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Only 3 off the all Ireland team for Dublin would prefer to see 1 more panel player on

But ah maybe jk knows better!

Still not enough pace

If all fit come championship there'll be only 1 change at best p casey for mulcahy and even at that for me mul is so good but casey is better

High bike wrote: »
    Better find out now how strong the panel is than next june

Can see your point but we're two games away from winning a trophy we haven't won since the 1990's, we need to go for it.

That's not to say I think we would beat Galway or Waterford in the final, should we win tomorrow, but I can see why we we have named a strong team.

Can see your point but we're two games away from winning a trophy we haven't won since the 1990's, we need to go for it.

That's not to say I think we would beat Galway or Waterford in the final, should we win tomorrow, but I can see why we we have named a strong team.

go for it 100% yes but this is going to be a very tricky assignment , a tight pitch like nolan pk will suite dublin , also they have improved ten fold since kenny took over , even the game they lost to galway in the league they looked so much more assured at the back then they did over the last 5 or years , it was there forwards that got cleaned that day hence the loss

i expect limerick to win but it will be tight , dublin backs and midfield are very tidy to be fair and very physical

go for it 100% yes but this is going to be a very tricky assignment , a tight pitch like nolan pk will suite dublin , also they have improved ten fold since kenny took over , even the game they lost to galway in the league they looked so much more assured at the back then they did over the last 5 or years , it was there forwards that got cleaned that day hence the loss

i expect limerick to win but it will be tight , dublin backs and midfield are very tidy to be fair and very physical

Yeah, I'd agree. I still remember our championship loss to them a few years back.

Fwiw, I think the overall winner will come from the other side of the draw, even if Limerick are going better than I expected them to after their win and winter.

Yeah, I'd agree. I still remember our championship loss to them a few years back.

Fwiw, I think the overall winner will come from the other side of the draw, even if Limerick are going better than I expected them to after their win and winter.

i dont know , waterford would be my selection for that game given how well there forwards are going , yes clare were desperate against them last week but they had 34 shots on goal scored 31 very impressive , there discipline has improved also but if limerick won they would be much more suited to playing them then then we were

i am writing off galway on the basis of consistency , aidan harte , jack grealish and canning from frees have been there best players all league , two corner backs and a free taker , harsh assessment but at this stage of the year limerick are probably still the team to beat in my opinion

i dont know , waterford would be my selection for that game given how well there forwards are going , yes clare were desperate against them last week but they had 34 shots on goal scored 31 very impressive , there discipline has improved also but if limerick won they would be much more suited to playing them then then we were

i am writing off galway on the basis of consistency , aidan harte , jack grealish and canning from frees have been there best players all league , two corner backs and a free taker , harsh assessment but at this stage of the year limerick are probably still the team to beat in my opinion

I certainly wouldn't begrudge Waterford an All Ireland, it was unreal last year.

Realistically there's very little between 6 or so teams so no point favouring any one of them heavily over another.

• Advertisement

I certainly wouldn't begrudge Waterford an All Ireland, it was unreal last year.

Realistically there's very little between 6 or so teams so no point favouring any one of them heavily over another.

i was on about the two games tomorrow more so then the all ireland , i reckon betting on the outcome of the all ireland now would be like as backing an anti post grand national winner at aintree , impossible to call

Advertisement