Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭MfMan

i dont know , waterford would be my selection for that game given how well there forwards are going , yes clare were desperate against them last week but they had 34 shots on goal scored 31 very impressive , there discipline has improved also but if limerick won they would be much more suited to playing them then then we were

i am writing off galway on the basis of consistency , aidan harte , jack grealish and canning from frees have been there best players all league , two corner backs and a free taker , harsh assessment but at this stage of the year limerick are probably still the team to beat in my opinion

Umm.. 2 Mannions? Though I agree that Limerick, for one, are ahead of Galway at this point, Galway, more than most haven't been playing with their full hand during the league. Judge them at full strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Greensoup

Frustrating game today. Found it hard to break down Dublin tactics. Moran ideal man for them sitting in the D so we couldn’t hit space in front of Casey, gillane as easily....it forced us to carry ball and they planned for this by clogging up the Centre and basically defending from our 45 back so it was hard to get through with shorter game. All this left them short of numbers in attack until last few minutes. All in all we re still playing in fits and starts and lacking a bit of fluency. Still league final in Croker without playing great isn’t a bad complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

MfMan wrote: »
    Umm.. 2 Mannions? Though I agree that Limerick, for one, are ahead of Galway at this point, Galway, more than most haven't been playing with their full hand during the league. Judge them at full strength.

yeah the manions also were excellent through out the league but i was given my prediction for today , the thomas's lads and dathi burke will make galway possibly the strongest team in the country come the summer , on paper anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

For me despite everything in the league i still think it will be Cork who have the best chance of taking the All Ireland off limerick this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

big_drive wrote: »
    For me despite everything in the league i still think it will be Cork who have the best chance of taking the All Ireland off limerick this year.

Cork lack a physical presence and a plan b type approach, they are far too predictable and a bit like Clare in that regard, the result being that they simply concede too many frees. If Horgan or Harnedy are held they are at nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Cork lack a physical presence and a plan b type approach, they are far too predictable and a bit like Clare in that regard, the result being that they simply concede too many frees. If Horgan or Harnedy are held they are at nothing.

If....

They will have pace all across the half forward line and score readily, predictable yes, lets hope we have a plan, we didn't last year and had to rely on them imploding physically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

If....

They will have pace all across the half forward line and score readily, predictable yes, lets hope we have a plan, we didn't last year and had to rely on them imploding physically

They didn't implode, they reverted to type. Not a single member of that Cork panel has an AI medal, there are far bigger threats to Limerick than Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I agree totally they have Alan cadogan back this yr plus Robbie o Flynn will be a good option as i rate him highly plus walsh will also be an option. They have issues at the back but can score freely I think cork and limerick are the 2 stand out teams for me. Of course I'm totally ignoring the league in saying this but the league this yr was phoney for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

lim4ev wrote: »
    I agree totally they have Alan cadogan back this yr plus Robbie o Flynn will be a good option as i rate him highly plus walsh will also be an option. They have issues at the back but can score freely I think cork and limerick are the 2 stand out teams for me. Of course I'm totally ignoring the league in saying this but the league this yr was phoney for me

Just can’t see what you are saying about cork. Last year was similar to 2017 for them. Won Munster and took a heavy defeat in semi......what/who have they unearthed in the last 9 months......managed by a whiny Wexford come cork man who is no more than a puppet for ‘frank’....!!

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Just can’t see what you are saying about cork. Last year was similar to 2017 for them. Won Munster and took a heavy defeat in semi......what/who have they unearthed in the last 9 months......managed by a whiny Wexford come cork man who is no more than a puppet for ‘frank’....!!

Extra from last years All Ireland semi:

Tim O’Mahony
    Robbie O Flynn

Both came on in semi I know but are different players this year. Obviously O’Mahony is now a back, he came on half forwards in semi final

Alan Cadogan
    Aidan Walsh
    Cormac Murphy
    Steven McDonnell
    Darren Browne
    Robert Downey

To me that’s a fair amount of additional players who looked impressive during the league

• Advertisement

Extra from last years All Ireland semi:

Tim O’Mahony
    Robbie O Flynn

Both came on in semi I know but are different players this year. Obviously O’Mahony is now a back, he came on half forwards in semi final

Alan Cadogan
    Aidan Walsh
    Cormac Murphy
    Steven McDonnell
    Darren Browne
    Robert Downey

To me that’s a fair amount of additional players who looked impressive during the league

League form means eff all. Glorified challenge matches is what majority of league games are

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

League form means eff all. Glorified challenge matches is what majority of league games are

True, Brian Cody always said that when he was winning 9 league titles.

carter10 wrote: »
    True, Brian Cody always said that when he was winning 9 league titles.

Cody only valued his ‘training matches’ if you can believe what you hear.....he would base his selection on the games between his panel members tearing lumps out of each other over anything he saw in real competitive inter county games....Meyler probably the same......cork haven’t being lighting up the underage scene in the last decade so it’s difficult to ascertain how good their conveyor belt is.......you can say they have won two Munsters in recent years but I’d say they swop 6 in a row for one all Ireland. This. Year will leave it 14 years without a senior title.....their longest post war barren spell and second longest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Cody only valued his ‘training matches’ if you can believe what you hear.....he would base his selection on the games between his panel members tearing lumps out of each other over anything he saw in real competitive inter county games....Meyler probably the same......cork haven’t being lighting up the underage scene in the last decade so it’s difficult to ascertain how good their conveyor belt is.......you can say they have won two Munsters in recent years but I’d say they swop 6 in a row for one all Ireland. This. Year will leave it 14 years without a senior title.....their longest post war barren spell and second longest ever.

Cork have been lighting up every underage grade for the past 5 years. They lost the under 21 last year to Tipp but have way better players and their minors are knocking at the door. When they finally do win again at minor we are looking at a Dublin type situation of 3 and 4 in a row stuff. Believe me they are getting their house in order and withthe playing resources at their disposal we are all in trouble. Look at their schools...Midleton,Fermoy, CBC, Rochestown,Bandon,Charleville....

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Cork have been lighting up every underage grade for the past 5 years. They lost the under 21 last year to Tipp but have way better players and their minors are knocking at the door. When they finally do win again at minor we are looking at a Dublin type situation of 3 and 4 in a row stuff. Believe me they are getting their house in order and withthe playing resources at their disposal we are all in trouble. Look at their schools...Midleton,Fermoy, CBC, Rochestown,Bandon,Charleville....

Absolutely. Any fan I know from Limerick/Clare/Waterford reckons all three counties have a very brief window to win anything before the next great Cork side arrives.

Cork will be close Mark my words if they don't do it this yr it could set them back yrs as a lot of that team will have to go even though they'd be young enough by the way most people I say it to about cork laugh at me and a lot of them were cork lads but I'm sticking to my belief that they'll be v close this yr and I'm saying that knowing they've a very tough munster campaign.

Having said all the above I believe we'll be very close too

Ah here I think cork are close this yr but when you say 3 and 4 in a row whether it's minor or senior seems ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

Will be a long time under the present format before anyone does 3 or 4 in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

You are losing the run of yourself. Cork won 1 minor/U21 Munster in the recent past.They did win an All Ire U17 but they mostly played 2nd string sides whilst they were at full strength. Last years minors were awful. This yrs minors average. Last yrs U21s where the great white hope and they bottled it in the All Ire final. Give me Limericks underage pedigree every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

You are losing the run of yourself. Cork won 1 minor/U21 Munster in the recent past.They did win an All Ire U17 but they mostly played 2nd string sides whilst they were at full strength. Last years minors were awful. This yrs minors average. Last yrs U21s where the great white hope and they bottled it in the All Ire final. Give me Limericks underage pedigree every day.
    Looking at schools results from u15 up you'd have to say Cork are getting their house in order bigtime, that hasnt yet translated to bringing elite talent through the academies to minor/u20 as of yet but they definitely will be stronger underage in the next 5 years compated to the 5 past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭somespud

Is this the Limerick GAA Discussion?

This years Cork minors are anything but average, should be a serious outfit

This years Cork minors are anything but average, should be a serious outfit

What about limericks minors.....? Galway must have the best underage success rate in the last 30 years but only have 1all Ireland to show for it.......why is take as a given that a period of cork dominance under age will result in 4/5 all Ireland titles......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Donald Trumped

I have a question to ask for Limerick posters. What is the story about the Limerick minor footballers ahead of the Munster Championship, that gets underway in 12 days time against my own county Clare? A new management team was only put in place in mid February.

I know that the Limerick football academy was put in place a few years back and by all accounts are doing some trojan work in the promotion of football in the county. I hope to go and see all the Clare minor football games this year, so any word on how Limerick are getting on with preparations including recent challenge matches and all that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Absolutely. Any fan I know from Limerick/Clare/Waterford reckons all three counties have a very brief window to win anything before the next great Cork side arrives.

Waterford fan here.
    Don't know anyone quaking in our boots at 'the next great cork side' .
    Underage success rarely translates into senior success. If it did Waterford would be going for 3 in a row this year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

carq wrote: »
    Waterford fan here.
    Don't know anyone quaking in our boots at 'the next great cork side' .
    Underage success rarely translates into senior success. If it did Waterford would be going for 3 in a row this year! :pac:
    Agree and as someone else said Galway world have 8 or 10 all Ireland’s in the last 30 yrs and not 1

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭angeleyes

Sad news today especially in light of his contribution to the only goal yesterday for Richie English with the passing of his father Paddy this morning.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/373189/limerick-manager-john-kiely-pays-tribute-to-incredible-father-of-all-star-hurler.html?fbclid=IwAR1s9JE5VpLLtGrQm9bR0yoZ3U9HGiJAH8Ket9XLc3RXnhMKuH0I4-uY5Ls

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

RIP

somespud wrote: »
    Is this the Limerick GAA Discussion?

It is, and it's surprisingly muted after what was a super league win on Sunday. I was surprised at the way the final went tbh, but glad another long streak without a league trophy is over.

This young team is already the best Limerick side in my lifetime, results-wise anyhow. Hope everyone else is enjoying the good days.

• Advertisement

It is, and it's surprisingly muted after what was a super league win on Sunday. I was surprised at the way the final went tbh, but glad another long streak without a league trophy is over.

This young team is already the best Limerick side in my lifetime, results-wise anyhow. Hope everyone else is enjoying the good days.

I think the forums quiet as we're all kind of living the dream hurling wise but let's not fool ourselves the championship is going to be a totally different animal and it wouldn't be out of the question that we didn't get out if munster, I think we will but it'll be hard just pray we get through to the 19th of May without injuries especially 1-5 in my opinion are irreplaceable and that's with Casey at 3.

Advertisement