Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

degetme wrote: »
    No real desire. I hope last year's win isn't satisfying there hunger for success. There gameplan is well documented. Better loose now than a knockout match. Might be the reality check needed

huge problem for clare in both 2014 and 15 , i feel this limerick team has far more about them to just fall away like that but it doesn't help when jerome is writing the same stuff he put up in the leader in 2013 before the clare game about limerick being almost invincible ,

hold the back page should be limericks battle cry for the next few weeks ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭High bike

huge problem for clare in both 2014 and 15 , i feel this limerick team has far more about them to just fall away like that but it doesn't help when jerome is writing the same stuff he put up in the leader in 2013 before the clare game about limerick being almost invincible ,

100% correct

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I think people read too much into the Tipp cork result and limerick winning the league. Limerick won last year but got a bit of luck along the way so yesterday was always 50/50. Cork had benefit of first game and made the necessary adjustments in defence and Aidan Walsh was very effective and a nuisance to the limerick backs. Hoggies goal was crucial in creating the gap as it was still very close at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭raindodger

i think the sequencing of matches was not kind to us. leaving the nerves to build for an extra week then meeting a wounded cork.
    Next two matches are now knockout as we will be tired for last game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭big_drive

I still think Limerick and Cork will be in the shake up for All Ireland - final 4 if not final 2

Everyone including bookies raving about Tipp. Their lack of pace is fine now but wait till the tiredness over a couple months creeps in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

big_drive wrote: »
    I still think Limerick and Cork will be in the shake up for All Ireland - final 4 if not final 2

Everyone including bookies raving about Tipp. Their lack of pace is fine now but wait till the tiredness over a couple months creeps in

I love this myth that seems to have grown legs about Tipp having no pace, long may it continue!

Absolutely. Sadly the Limerick Leader likes nothing better than the sound of a hype train (that is usually derailed).

The lack of a break in the next 3 games will be the killer. Ah well, all part of the fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Last year limerick had Lady Luck in their side particularly in the semi and final. Yes they have expectional players but I seen yesterday many of the bigger stars are not as good as they may think.

Limerick can go bounce back but i can see their less known stars doing it

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I love this myth that seems to have grown legs about Tipp having no pace, long may it continue!
    theres a lot of mileage on the legs of 10 or 11 of those Tipp lads we’ll see in a couple of months how they cope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭shockframe

leestone wrote: »
    Last year limerick had Lady Luck in their side particularly in the semi and final. Yes they have expectional players but I seen yesterday many of the bigger stars are not as good as they may think.

Limerick can go bounce back but i can see their less known stars doing it[/QUOTE

Last years all Ireland involved more than luck. We were helped by Cork's lack of bench and Galway's final no-show but we beat the previous years 4 semi finalists plus Kilkenny.6 games of excellent play over the season.

If anything we overachieved given the age profile of the team and the transition away from the team of 2011-14. The objective for the first 2 seasons was to establish competitiveness.Hardly anyone expected an All Ireland last year.

I doubt we will get through this year. Even if we do an All Ireland is beyond us I reckon. Emerging teams retaining Liam Mccarthy or Sam Maguire after a spell in the wilderness seems an impossible job. Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Kilkenny, Tipp have all come unstuck. Only Meath in the late 80s have bucked the trend.

Winning a first All Ireland has an effect. The celebrations, the awards, the guest speaking, TV/Podcasts, the photos, club events etc all take its toll. Not to mention the effort involved to win it. It all adds up.

I'm confident we will challenge in the years ahead but the odds are stacked against us this year I'd say.

• Advertisement

shockframe wrote: »
    leestone wrote: »

Limerick can go bounce back but i can see their less known stars doing it[/QUOTE

Last years all Ireland involved more than luck. We were helped by Cork's lack of bench and Galway's final no-show but we beat the previous years 4 semi finalists plus Kilkenny.6 games of excellent play over the season.

If anything we overachieved given the age profile of the team and the transition away from the team of 2011-14. The objective for the first 2 seasons was to establish competitiveness.Hardly anyone expected an All Ireland last year.

I doubt we will get through this year. Even if we do an All Ireland is beyond us I reckon. Emerging teams retaining Liam Mccarthy or Sam Maguire after a spell in the wilderness seems an impossible job. Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone, Kilkenny, Tipp have all come unstuck. Only Meath in the late 80s have bucked the trend.

Winning a first All Ireland has an effect. The celebrations, the awards, the guest speaking, TV/Podcasts, the photos, club events etc all take its toll. Not to mention the effort involved to win it. It all adds up.

I'm confident we will challenge in the years ahead but the odds are stacked against us this year I'd say.

I'd go along with that, and honestly, while it's disappointing, winning the All Ireland and the league have been massive achievements. The main thing is that if we go out early that the wheels don't come off and the achievements aren't built on.

I can easily see what happened to Clare post 2013 happening to Limerick, but I'm hopeful it won't (I also think Clare are more or less back now and could win this year).

High bike wrote: »
    theres a lot of mileage on the legs of 10 or 11 of those Tipp lads we’ll see in a couple of months how they cope

I think that's where last years early exit, combined with the new management and Sheedy's treatment of the league will all play a big part, they have also used 24 players in the first two games which will be a big help. The big performances have also being coming from the younger guys or the middle aged guys to be more accurate - Barrett, Breen, Forde, John McGrath, Bubbles are all in the 24-26 age bracket which is the prime age for an inter-county hurler. The oldest player on the Tipp team is Callanan at 30 and there are only two others in their 30th year - Brendan Maher and Padraic Maher - I would struggle to classify any of those 3 as potential weak links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

bigpink wrote: »
    Someone gone from the back room team??

I now know why you posted this and why you couldn't elaborate on it, i feel very sorry for the players and hope it gets resolved soon but I fear the damage to the may be too much to recover from in just three short weeks.

One of Kiely's buzzwords he has regularly used is "trust" and the players have bought into that. Things didn't look right on Sunday and I've no doubting this has played a big role in that.

I wish I could discuss the issue at hand but boards would rightly censor me as there's potential legal ramifications, but it will all come out soon enough.

Nic_Col wrote: »
    I now know why you posted this and why you couldn't elaborate on it, i feel very sorry for the players and hope it gets resolved soon but I fear the damage to the may be too much to recover from in just three short weeks.

One of Kiely's buzzwords he has regularly used is "trust" and the players have bought into that. Things didn't look right on Sunday and I've no doubting this has played a big role in that.

I wish I could discuss the issue at hand but boards would rightly censor me as there's potential legal ramifications, but it will all come out soon enough.

My understanding is that the individual in question had an extremely minor role in a massive background team, can't see how it would have any affect on the teams performance on Sunday. Things didn't look right on Sunday because they were out fought by a team of equal ability, same as what happened Cork the previous week, its no big mystery, people are talking as if Limerick were suddenly 20 points a better team than the team they were blessed to beat in last years AI semi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

My understanding is that the individual in question had an extremely minor role in a massive background team, can't see how it would have any affect on the teams performance on Sunday. Things didn't look right on Sunday because they were out fought by a team of equal ability, same as what happened Cork the previous week, its no big mystery, people are talking as if Limerick were suddenly 20 points a better team than the team they were blessed to beat in last years AI semi.

Nobody has out fought Limerick since the 2017 NHL semi final, the work rate was their biggest strength but since the NHL final mysteriously went backwards?

You're incorrect in your assessment of the role of the man in question, he would be in regular contact and would regularly interact with the players. It can be very disappointing to discover that someone you thought you could trust was not who you thought they were. You underestimate the importance of the overall group dynamic.

Nobody has out fought Limerick since the 2017 NHL semi final, the work rate was their biggest strength but since the NHL final mysteriously went backwards?

You're incorrect in your assessment of the role of the man in question, he would be in regular contact and would regularly interact with the players. It can be very disappointing to discover that someone you thought you could trust was not who you thought they were. You underestimate the importance of the overall group dynamic.

The league to be fair is about as relevant as the ploughing championships!!

I'm not privy to the exact roles of all the Limerick background team but was told by a reliable source what he thought the mans role was and in the bigger scheme of things it is very minor. Such an incident should not directly affect an entire teams mentality and certainly not one that is using the services of Caroline Currid.

I'm not privy to the exact roles of all the Limerick background team but was told by a reliable source what he thought the mans role was and in the bigger scheme of things it is very minor. Such an incident should not directly affect an entire teams mentality and certainly not one that is using the services of Caroline Currid.

More or less afaik.

Think Sunday was really just a combination of factors tbh. Cork are a good side (and were a good side when they nearly beat us last year in the semi-final). We lost badly to Clare last year in case anyone has forgotten, anyone who ever thought Limerick were unbeatable was naive at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

They have players with no pace..The 2 Mahers,Ford ,Bubbles..ect

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭letsseehere14

BloodyBill wrote:
    They have players with no pace..The 2 Mahers,Ford ,Bubbles..ect

Ah yes. 4 of the best Hurlers in the country. But it's ok. They've no pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Feck tipp and cork, back to ourselves, the players couldn't have been properly prepared last week, had the league too easy and didn't give fringe players enough time and got absolutely no cover for fb line

Mike Casey first senior game since a serious injury and he was strapped

Lack of pace in half back line is our biggest weakness and we watched Daniel kearney destroy us twice last year and thought we'd try that a 3rd time....right

DOD and hayes had poor leagues and carried form into Sunday

Management have to ask why lynch and mul were up to standard but no one else

And stuff in camp would definitely had an effect

Up to management now to turn it around......bench choices poor too

Good luck for 2 weeks and come out fighting lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Feck tipp and cork, back to ourselves, the players couldn't have been properly prepared last week, had the league too easy and didn't give fringe players enough time and got absolutely no cover for fb line

Lack of pace in half back line is our biggest weakness and we watched Daniel kearney destroy us twice last year and thought we'd try that a 3rd time....right

I'd agree with a that. We seem to want to absolve management of all responsibility. 2014 Clare lost to Cork after winning the All Ireland. Kinnerk brought nothing new and Cork adjusted from the year previous and ran out easy winners.

Wheres Pat Ryan? Hes the most dangerous sub we have yet hes not in the match day squad. I dont care what he does in a 60 min training match. Its what he does in 20 mins that I want to see. Is there cover for the fullback line?

And not to repeat what's being said but Daniel Kearney on Byrnes is a disaster. Byrnes gets roasted every time. These arent new developments but management arent this ruthless team we all expected them to be. They are slow on the line. Cody would have hauled off one of the fullback and halfback line 5 mins into the second half.

All Ireland winners don’t become a bad team overnight even if they were lucky winners as some people here seem to think.Its fairly obvious that they weren’t ready for the challenge that Cork brought and that’s down to management .They now under pressure to produce what we know they can do,and have 2 weeks to get their act together or else they’r out.Roll on Waterford and get back in the race to get out of Munster or else it’s going to be a short year.Remember lads Tipp Cork and Clare are going to take points off each other too so all is not lost yet

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Ya everybody seemed to be flat on Sunday, including management, have to say DOD has not been near his form of last year and maybe a tine on the bench might do him good, our forward line doesnt move as well when flanagan is not at ff, if he's out for the whole round robin we need someone to fulfill that role, dowling, casey, gillane are not the same sort of player as him, maybe Barry Murphy?
    On the bright side better get this kick up the hole in the first game rather than in a knockout where you can't recover, will be hard to get 5 points from the next 3 but that is what we will need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Ya everybody seemed to be flat on Sunday, including management, have to say DOD has not been near his form of last year and maybe a tine on the bench might do him good, our forward line doesnt move as well when flanagan is not at ff, if he's out for the whole round robin we need someone to fulfill that role, dowling, casey, gillane are not the same sort of player as him, maybe Barry Murphy?
    On the bright side better get this kick up the hole in the first game rather than in a knockout where you can't recover, will be hard to get 5 points from the next 3 but that is what we will need

Yeah gillane has to go to the corner, with a new full forward, could play mulcahy as FF 30 yards from goal and let him distribute from there seen him do it from there or Downes 30 yards out and tell him to run at the defence. Casey & Mul not a great combo, casey cant really pass the ball is an out and out finisher needs to work on this. There are options there, the lads on the sideline (all Ireland winners:D) just need to change things up a bit. Need to Give someone with pace a run at midfield/half back to give options

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Walter.White

Caroline Currid is gone from the set up, she was replaced by Tony Og Regan from Galway I think

Caroline Currid is gone from the set up, she was replaced by Tony Og Regan from Galway I think

Really surprised to hear that, I assume it was her decision? Because if not it is bizzare, her record is incredible.

Really surprised to hear that, I assume it was her decision? Because if not it is bizzare, her record is incredible.

Yeah it is as her decision she usually only stays with a team for one year.

Yeah, it was her decision. I meant to say.

Just a word on the minors, thought they played well against a very strong Cork team. Took some lovely scores second half and the full backline played very well to contain the Cork full forward line who destroyed Tipp last week.

English, O Connor and O'Neill all got some nice scores. The half back Coughlan from ballybrown played well along with the two midfielders. It was a good game of Hurling.

• Advertisement

Yeah it is as her decision she usually only stays with a team for one year.
    Well it's very bad timing whatever the reason I'm sure it's not as simple as that otherwise why wait till now

Advertisement